As the topic says, I'm buying a Les Paul soon, and I have $600 or so saved up. Whats the best Les Paul in this price range?

Also, I need a good amp in the $200 price range. I'm thinking the Vypyr 30.
Quote by Guitar2theface
As the topic says, I'm buying a Les Paul soon, and I have $600 or so saved up. Whats the best Les Paul in this price range?

Also, I need a good amp in the $200 price range. I'm thinking the Vypyr 30.

Current amp? Amp is a bigger part of the sound you hear even though its not as flashy.

Get an epiphone if you want a gibson/epi or look at knockoffs that are cheaper.
have a look at the PRS tremonti SE guitars. Although they are not official les paul copies, they are similar and in my opinion built much better than epiphone.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
This belongs in the ELECTRIC GUITAR forum, not GG&A.
*If a mod could move it, please.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard with upgraded Gibson pickups?
That would give you more money to spend on an amp, especially if you play gigs.
Other than that, the Vypyr is actually a pretty good amp, I'd imagine a bit confusing, though.
My guitar is even worse. Its so bad, I can't even find a link for it. Its some very cheap strat copy that sucks so horribly.
Amp - Crate V-Series (or the vypyr i guess, but i'd go for the v-series)
guitar- probably a higher-end epi if youre set on a les paul
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
My plan so far is a nice Epiphone, then get some good pickups when I have the cash. I looked up the Crate V series, looks nice. I'll have to try them out but it looks promising.

And I thought I was in the Electric Guitar section. Sorry about that. Thanks for your help.
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
Amp - Crate V-Series (or the vypyr i guess, but i'd go for the v-series)
guitar- probably a higher-end epi if youre set on a les paul

V-series is good, but I found it to be more muddy than my Valveking was stock. Yes, hard to believe, but I find it blasphemous. Although the cleans on the V50 were much better, the OD left much to be desired. It is still a good amp, but don't expect anything more than hard rock tones (thrash with a boost).

Definitely try to find out which Les Pauls feel good in your hands TS.

*I guess it's not too bad, since you are also question about an amp, but if the main focus is a guitar, it should be moved
Quote by Guitar2theface
My guitar is even worse. Its so bad, I can't even find a link for it. Its some very cheap strat copy that sucks so horribly.

Okay. Well then it's good that you're actually spending this much money on your second, rather than just buying another beginner one. Epiphone Les Pauls are only really worth buying if it's the Standard at least, or maybe a Studio if you've tried it out first and everything is in order.

BC Rich Eagles look more Stratty than like Les Pauls, but they have TOM bridges, two hums, mahogany bodies and quilted maple tops, play and sound wise they would actually be closer to Les Pauls.. The reason that I've mentioned this guitar is because it's also a full neck through and isn't much more expensive than an Epiphone! Maybe you should have a look at them.
If you can find an Edwards in that price range, it destroys everything else in the price range and is easily as good as a Gibson Standard.

But, I suggest you spend more on a good amp and balance out your spending a bit more. A good guitar through a bad amp is still going to get you a bad tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you can find an Edwards in that price range, it destroys everything else in the price range and is easily as good as a Gibson Standard.

But, I suggest you spend more on a good amp and balance out your spending a bit more. A good guitar through a bad amp is still going to get you a bad tone.

+1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Oh damn I just found another $200 in the budget (rather not go over the details). I'd like to keep $100 of it, but I'm going to spend what I will on an amp. I doubt I"ll do gigs or anything but its still a possibililty. So now I have $300-400 to spend on an amp. Suggestions?
Im really pleased with my Epi Les Paul custom, Great guitar for the money in my opinion. Check craigslist too, i see them used on there all the time.
You MIGHT MIGHT be able to find a Gibson Les paul studio from the mid 90s for around $700, definitely in the $800 range. They're very good guitars, far better (and more consistent in quality) than the general tripe that are Gibson's mass production models being put out these days. That is, if you don't care about not having binding. Other options include used Epiphone elitists which are good guitars as well, which can be found for around the same price. Other japanese copies are good as well but are harder to find used, the cheapest probably being ESP's Edwards brand.

As I always said and have learned throughout my time playing guitar, pickups, electronics, none of that matters, what matters is the quality of build, materials, playability, and resale value, because those are things that you cannot change.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 21, 2008,
Amp - Crate V18-212
Guitar - PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Yeah, it's not Gibson or Epi, but IMO it's better.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 22, 2008,
I have a friend with a 600 dollar epi les paul custom, and I must say, its the nicest epiphone I've ever played. Highly recommended by me. Amps? If you can get tubes in your price range, do it. There's just no comparison, they bring your guitar to life. Infact, I've played that very guitar through a low end tube amp, and it had incredible sound. Can't go wrong with either of those. Though it might be a little out of your price range, I'm not exactly sure.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by al112987
You MIGHT MIGHT be able to find a Gibson Les paul studio from the mid 90s for around $700, definitely in the $800 range.

For sure, I don't know about prices everywhere else, but there's currently 4 Les Paul Studios for sale on my CL for $600-700.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
For sure, I don't know about prices everywhere else, but there's currently 4 Les Paul Studios for sale on my CL for $600-700.

Even better, buying from private sellers, yeah, you can find them for cheaper, I was just throwing out prices I had seen from various used stores (which charge a premium), though I haven't really been guitar shopping lately.
Quote by al112987
Other options include used Epiphone elitists which are good guitars as well, which can be found for around the same price. Other japanese copies are good as well but are harder to find used, the cheapest probably being ESP's Edwards brand.

As I always said and have learned throughout my time playing guitar, pickups, electronics, none of that matters, what matters is the quality of build, materials, playability, and resale value, because those are things that you cannot change.

yeah. i should add that, from what i hear, edwardses are started off in china, i think, and finished off in japan. but they're very nice guitars for the money, nonetheless.

i'd agree with your final paragraph, except for resale- while it's doubtless important, if you buy a guitar you like less because its resale is better, you're actually increasing your chances of selling it on (which guarantees you'll take a hit, unless you buy second-hand).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Save yourself the hassle and look at a LTD EC-400. The search will end there.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Save yourself the hassle and look at a LTD EC-400. The search will end there.

I say go for a 500 if you're going the LTD route, it looks a lot nicer
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I agree V18, with an OD pedal.

Try it with one and it sounds amazing, by itself its really bogus i have to say.

and i would have bought a line 6 flextone, or save up more money for a valveking or buy a super champ XD, but i was curios enough to see what it sounded like with an OD, at it completely transfroms the amp.

For only 250 you can get amazing sounds, its really remarkable.