so i have a epiphone special 2. with a fender frontman 212r.....i KNOW THE AMP AND GUITAR SUX but ive only been playing for like 3 months now. and im thinking of replacing the default humbuckers it came with. i like metal.. like A7x, metallica, SOAD and RATM..etc. oh and i have a rp 50.... but im gunna switch that out with a metal core from BOSS
suggestions on what pickups i should get?
Emg 81/85?
My gear:
Jackson RR3 moded (EMG 81/85, OFR)
Jackson JS30 (with Duncan JB/Jazz from my RR3)
Peavey studio pro 112
MXR Double shot dist.
MXR 10 band EQ
Crybaby 535Q

Metal Rulez
in that guitar and with that amp, I think a pickup swap would be a waste of money TBH. It won't make an awful lot of difference to your tone.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
If you've got about 250 bucks to spare for new pups plus the installation, definitely go for the EMG 81/85 set...

If you don't want to spend that much, try the H4 passives from EMG, they're equivalent to the active 85/81 and it won't matter too much with the pedal...

edit:

Metallica is the only metal band you listed there bud, all the others are hard rock or emo...

*tisk tisk*

Scandinavian Metal is the only TRUE metal....
Pickups would be burning money with that set up.

New amp, new guitar, new pickups.

Buy in that order.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by guitarheroine14
so i have a epiphone special 2. with a fender frontman 212r.....i KNOW THE AMP AND GUITAR SUX but ive only been playing for like 3 months now. and im thinking of replacing the default humbuckers it came with. i like metal.. like A7x, metallica, SOAD and RATM..etc. oh and i have a rp 50.... but im gunna switch that out with a metal core from BOSS
suggestions on what pickups i should get?

It's not so much that your amp and guitar 'suck' (they don't really, it's all personal preference... but if you knew they 'suck', why'd you buy them?).

Anyway, new pickups for that guitar would be a waste of money, honestly. The only thing new pickups will do running into an SS amp would make it louder (not always a good thing). You may get a subtle tone change, but nothing drastic.

As stated before, new amp before you even think of changing pickups (they should be the last refining tool of your tone, alongside pedals).

Also, the Metalcore is atrocious.
Quote by enselmis
emg pickups are awful

You're stupid!
My gear:
Jackson RR3 moded (EMG 81/85, OFR)
Jackson JS30 (with Duncan JB/Jazz from my RR3)
Peavey studio pro 112
MXR Double shot dist.
MXR 10 band EQ
Crybaby 535Q

Metal Rulez
new amp first, then guitar. then a change of pickups.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
New
Fockin
Amp
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Well emg's honestly aren't that great. I have them in a few of my guitars because I first went active after having mostly crappy stock pickups and loved them. I was amazed at how good they sounded. BUT then I got ahold of some damn good passives after that and I'm never going back to EMG's. They are very thin compared to a good set of passives and a mahogany guitar.
The money for EMG's would be much better spent on a guitar or amp...

Almost all of us have been in the crappy gear situation. Save your money, and the new rig will seem that much better.

Good Luck
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by Kur† Cobain
Emg 81/85?

good standard metal pups

these^
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.