Okay im thinking about investing some money in power tools, such as band saw, router, dremel and palm sander.

I want to make a Telecaster as a first.

Just some questions, can you pass me pictures of your bandsaws if isnt much trouble and please recomend me some brands. Also I need to know what type of saw to get since there are a lot of them.

Is it very dificult to make a neck. Im planning to get all my info from www.projectguitar.com. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Martin
You should follow the tutorials to the T when constructing a neck, but if it doesn't work out, you could just go to http://www.warmoth.com .

Great place, I ordered my Jackson-like neck there.
Quote by bokma
My first time hasn't come yet.. but when I does, I'm gonna die of stage fright

Necks arent hard, but they are pretty meticulous and can be time-consuming the first few times. A rasp, maybe an angle grinder, and a palm sander are what you need for the neck. s for band saws, Delta is a good brand. I would also get a drill press, as some drill work is done easier and better on one.
I've worked with band saws but I can't remember any of the brand names, but it doesn't matter. All you need in a band saw is one that works in my opinion because no matter how bad the quality of the cut is, your going to need to sand down the finish anyway to get to the final shape. You don't need one with a wide space for the blade because you're only going to be doing body work, just look around though and make sure that you'll be able to move your billet around the blade with plenty of clearance.

Thats all I have to say lol
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
As far as the bandsaw I would check out craigslist and find a nice used 14" one. I got an used 14" bridgewood from one of my dad's friends for $90 and it's great. If you are planning on resawing guitar tops you need to have atleast 7" resaw height and the craftsman professional 14" is the best deal capable of doing that. I like 1/4" blades for everything but resawing. Get an orbital disc sander it is much better than a palm sander, the palm sander is better for final sanding but it barely ever gets used and doing it by hand is very doable. For the router the hitachi kit is great I bought one off amazon and love it the variable speed is really useful. I have the fixed base mounted in my router table and use the plunge bass for routing out cavities and stuff. Here's a good deal on one if you don't mind buying refurbished. http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_KM12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_FixedPlunge_Base_Router_Kit_(Reconditioned)___i307.aspx
Quote by qotsa1998
Necks arent hard, but they are pretty meticulous and can be time-consuming the first few times. A rasp, maybe an angle grinder, and a palm sander are what you need for the neck. s for band saws, Delta is a good brand. I would also get a drill press, as some drill work is done easier and better on one.

I would really suggest doing necks there not as hard as you would think I was scared to try them my first couple builds. For a drill press try to get a 12" one at least I have a 10" one and am looking to upgrade because it is just a little too small.
Okay thanks for everything, I want to do my first neck, but I think im going to buy a fretboard since that is the most difficult. If I cant get one due to the difficulties of getting finished things here, im going to make a one piece maple. When I go to buy bandsaws im going to ask to the guy that sells them for further reference.

Ive seen in a lot of builds here that cuts always are un-neat, therefore sanding is required. For that sanding you recomend me a circular sander?

Okay thanks a lot for the replies everything helps
Quote by divinorum69
Okay thanks for everything, I want to do my first neck, but I think im going to buy a fretboard since that is the most difficult. If I cant get one due to the difficulties of getting finished things here, im going to make a one piece maple. When I go to buy bandsaws im going to ask to the guy that sells them for further reference.

Ive seen in a lot of builds here that cuts always are un-neat, therefore sanding is required. For that sanding you recomend me a circular sander?

Okay thanks a lot for the replies everything helps

For the sanding you need a spindle sander easily substituted for a kit that attaches to a drill press. I don't know how I would do it without one.
Nice wood shop you got there 420_Freak. How much again for that bandsaw?

I can not do Ebay or Craiglist here in Argentina. Importing things here is a major pain. Custom ****s you up with taxes minimum 50%, and takes ages! So I have to buy here and of course, if in USA economy is ****ed think about Latin America. But well, Ill just have save more!

Which are my priorities for tools?

What to get first?
Quote by divinorum69
Okay im thinking about investing some money in power tools, such as band saw, router, dremel and palm sander.

I want to make a Telecaster as a first.

Just some questions, can you pass me pictures of your bandsaws if isnt much trouble and please recomend me some brands. Also I need to know what type of saw to get since there are a lot of them.

Is it very dificult to make a neck. Im planning to get all my info from www.projectguitar.com. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Martin

I use old guitar part's. like say a body was broken, but the neck just needed some refinishing, I'd buy it, take the neck (If it was a cheap price) and finish it. The body I would do custom though.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Quote by White_fang
I use old guitar part's. like say a body was broken, but the neck just needed some refinishing, I'd buy it, take the neck (If it was a cheap price) and finish it. The body I would do custom though.

I can do that, Ive done that, but ONLY NECKS I CAN GET HERE ARE FREAKIN ROSEWOOD! It annoys me, I havent seen one maple/maple neck for sale. Strange right? All my guitars are rosewood and I tried maple and I liked the surface a lot, so I wanna maple. Plus I like the looks with black
i have a little 9" bandsaw... it works... not very well... but it works. i'm looking into getting a 14". i'd like to get a jet or a delta... the craftsman one is nice but i'm trying to find something used and i'd like to put the 12" column extension on it. if not, i'll just bite the bullet and get the craftsman... for guitars you don't resaw anything over 7 1/2" anyway... but the curly maple i bought is 9" wide
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by divinorum69
I can do that, Ive done that, but ONLY NECKS I CAN GET HERE ARE FREAKIN ROSEWOOD! It annoys me, I havent seen one maple/maple neck for sale. Strange right? All my guitars are rosewood and I tried maple and I liked the surface a lot, so I wanna maple. Plus I like the looks with black

OH. I don't really mind. I use rosewood anyways...

Check junk yard's Idk. I am sure there is a Maple neck from some old strat somewhere.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Quote by divinorum69
Nice wood shop you got there 420_Freak. How much again for that bandsaw?

I can not do Ebay or Craiglist here in Argentina. Importing things here is a major pain. Custom ****s you up with taxes minimum 50%, and takes ages! So I have to buy here and of course, if in USA economy is ****ed think about Latin America. But well, Ill just have save more!

Which are my priorities for tools?

What to get first?

Thanks, I got that for $90. As long as your not trying to resaw guitar tops any bandsaw will work it's just how well it would work. I wouldn't want to cut out a body on a 10 inch benchtop saw but it's possible. The bandsaw will likely be one of the most used tools in the shop so I would try to get the best I can afford. Other than the bandsaw the router would come next for me (I would try to get a plunge router that can accept 1/2" bits), than the drill press with a soindle sander attachment (very cheap), then the orbital sander, various handtools (chisels spokeshaves clamps etc). If you can get your wood planed and jointed you have no need to worry about a planer or jointer but if you can't your going to need a jointer.
Quote by 420 FREAK
Thanks, I got that for $90. As long as your not trying to resaw guitar tops any bandsaw will work it's just how well it would work. I wouldn't want to cut out a body on a 10 inch benchtop saw but it's possible. The bandsaw will likely be one of the most used tools in the shop so I would try to get the best I can afford. Other than the bandsaw the router would come next for me (I would try to get a plunge router that can accept 1/2" bits), than the drill press with a soindle sander attachment (very cheap), then the orbital sander, various handtools (chisels spokeshaves clamps etc). If you can get your wood planed and jointed you have no need to worry about a planer or jointer but if you can't your going to need a jointer.

Im lacking terms here, because my motherlanguage is spanish. Can you please explain to me concepts, what is a jointer? for what kind of joints?, A planer is to plane the wood right, sort of like a sander?
Quote by divinorum69
Im lacking terms here, because my motherlanguage is spanish. Can you please explain to me concepts, what is a jointer? for what kind of joints?, A planer is to plane the wood right, sort of like a sander?

Sorry about that. A jointer makes the edge f the wood square to the face and a planer takes the thickness of the wood down yes like a sander just you control how much you take off and it's much faster. They are used very little but are needed to have a flat guitar body if your working with rough lumber.
planers and jointers are useful, but only at the infant stages of the guitar. after that, it'll sit around until the next guitar is being built. they are still quite useful, though.

i wish i had a larger saw... im gonna have to get one. my 9" works well. i got it because i didn't want to blow $400+ on something i wasn't sure I would going to enjoy doing... too bad i love doing it and now have to upgrade

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
SO since this thread is here, i have a question, about bandsaws.
On bandsaws when its like 9" bandsaw, thats the measurement from the base (table?), to the top of the blade, when the guard is at the highest setting right?
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
it's from the center of the blade to the left side distance

you don't really need a dremel, unless your perry orsmby or some other UGer like nuthinbuttrubl8 and do heaps of exotic inlays

You probably will want to get good quality tools because everyone on UG here knows that Guitar building is extremely addictive
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Nov 22, 2008,
perry's not the only one that does inlay work on this forum... FYI

knifes, a hobby set would work, harbor freight has a cheapy set for like 10, but then again harbor freight also has a cheapy dremel with some set for like 15-20$ too...
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I wasn't referring to myself. i'm just wondering when they'll change the name of the GB&C forum to "perry's playhouse". Everything is referred to as "ormsby this and ormsby that".

lol, sounds kinda funny.

Anyway, i can't quite remember your first post, but your going to need a whole heap of files and saws too for nuts, frets etc
bandsaws arr expensive, i make do with a scroll saw for now and will get a nice bandsaw later
Quote by divinorum69

I love rosewood necks. You're really lucky. Raw necks are the best

And you can use a dremel for inlay work- well for routing the neck anyway.
a chisel set
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL