Page 1 of 2
I posted this in the Project Discussion, but I think I might get more responses if I start a thread dedicated to the topic...

A few weeks ago it dawned on me that I have the ability to change the Announcements here in CR (I just never had the correct link to do so), which means I can alter the Rules and FAQ. With that being said, I want to hear what you, the users, would like the Rules and FAQ to look like. In your opinion, are they good as they are? Should something be added? Removed? What say you?

Your suggestions may or may not be used, but they will definitely be taken into consideration if/when I decide to update the rules.

P.S.- All you people who want to argue what is and is not Classic Rock, now's your chance.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Can we claim Black Sabbath as our own?
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
^^They're about as far from blues rock as you can get in terms of Classic Rock bands in my opinion.

Quote by therussian
Can we claim Black Sabbath as our own?
I've never had a problem with Sabbath being discussed in here.
Quote by Thefallofman
You never knew you could change announcements? When I modded by buddies vB forum for a brief stint, that was the first thing I did.

I'd like to see a ban on asinine forum games (song game, eliminations, etc.). They don't contribute anything, and it's my belief that they inhibit serious discussion.

It's been a while since I looked over the rules. I'll probably have more to say later.
Quote by Maet
You never knew you could change announcements? When I modded by buddies vB forum for a brief stint, that was the first thing I did.
I was never given the link to the vB mod control panel until recently, so no In my defense, I wasn't the only mod who didn't know this/have the panel either.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by Maet
I'd like to see a ban on asinine forum games (song game, eliminations, etc.). They don't contribute anything, and it's my belief that they inhibit serious discussion.

I'll agree with this...
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
^ I think so too, they really don't have any merit anymore. I also think that somebody should put the two Beatles threads into one, I have no idea why somebody revived the old one.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
^^This being the "old one"? No need to merge them, I'll just close that one.
Quote by Thefallofman
I think if you are going to change the announcement you should change all the "?"s into apostrophes as I believe they should be ( simply because it niggles at me whilst I read it ) that's about it though, I'm happy with everything else
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
I think it'd be cool to have 1 thread for modern bands that sound like classic bands. Kinda like a recommendations thread.
Quote by BrainDamage
^^This being the "old one"? No need to merge them, I'll just close that one.

Yeah that's the one. Thanks BD!
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Destroy all evidence there ever was A Song Game & Elimination threads. We don;t want to become a Classic Rock Pit
^
I can agree with this. So far, noone has came in and said that they enjoy those games, so I'm guessing that noone will miss them. Wouldn't it be better if those were in The Pit anyway? Anyone that decided to actually listen to a posted song might happen across something new that they actually like and broaden their horizons a little bit more. All these CR people who haven't branched out for something new yet (be it Jazz, Blues, Metal, whatever) might here something new that they like.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
If it doesn't contain at least two memes, the pit does not want it.

(If you want to know if Australia is a good film, perhaps you should consider clicking the link in my sig)
^
Good review. Very well written, I thought

Eh... I really couldn't care less about what happens to threads like "The Song Game." They're pretty pointless, to me. If people are going to have such threads, there should, at the very least be a rule that states that if you want to post, you MUST comment on the song above you, thus requiring people to listen to the music, thus giving such threads a purpose. In any case, I wouldn't mind seeing them go.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Here's something to toss into the announcement regarding the rules...

Take a screen shot of the forum highlighting the search button (perhaps even scrawl all over the search field to show that's the wrong way to do a proper search) and explain how the function is to be used properly. The way that part of the thread looks right now is a bit clumsy.

(Holy crap, 2000th legit post. I thought I'd never hit that mark...)
^^Yeah, that's a must. I also like master's idea.

The Song Game thread is out for the time being, but I'm not sure what I want to do with the Elimination threads.

I'll get around to making updates to the rules once winter break starts, so keep the suggestions coming.
Quote by Thefallofman
Personally I feel that elimination threads are in violation of the "no versus threads" rule...
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
If the song game is pointless (which, I feel it is) elimination threads are even more pointless.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Yes, the elimination threads should go the way of the song game.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
the thing about the elimination game is that they just go on forever and ever and ever and ever.

And I hate how the guys I always root for never win.
With regards to the time frame of CR starting at 1960, I would like to see it moved back to @1955. There is really not a forum for this time frame which I find odd since this is pretty much where Rock started, and therefore should be deemed "Classic" rock. Guys like Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry could then be included.Just a thought.
The 1960-1984 time frame is really only a generalization. Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, etc. are all valid topics here. The problem is that their significance (as much as it sickens me to say it) pales in comparison to the monolithic fanbase of Led Floyd and Pink Zeppelin.
Quote by Maet
The 1960-1984 time frame is really only a generalization. Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, etc. are all valid topics here. The problem is that their significance (as much as it sickens me to say it) pales in comparison to the monolithic fanbase of Led Floyd and Pink Zeppelin.

LOL i see what you did there
Quote by Sandman634
With regards to the time frame of CR starting at 1960, I would like to see it moved back to @1955. There is really not a forum for this time frame which I find odd since this is pretty much where Rock started, and therefore should be deemed "Classic" rock. Guys like Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry could then be included.Just a thought.

I've been saying that for ages, but nobody listened. I guess the reason is, as Maet said, that they're all valid here despite the rules stating that they aren't. If the rules are being edited though, I see no reason why it shouldn't be pushed back to 1955 just for clarification.
Hey, I'm Mike.
why not push it back in both directions (start and finish), and to specific dates,
For Instance, i think classic rock started July 13 1956 when Elvis Presley released hound dog and ended September 25 1980 when John Bonham died.

but how does one distinguish between classic rock and rock-n-roll (is there any difference anyways), which could actually be a good thread, when did classic rock start and finish

This could actually be the subject for a forum, because where can one find discussions devoted to music pre 1956?

i mean, im not into music from that era a great deal, but in writing this post i thought about people who could be interested in music pre 1956
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by psychodelia
If the song game is pointless (which, I feel it is) elimination threads are even more pointless.

i agree.

sorry for the randomness of my question but, who is that in your avatar again?
Quote by megadeth rule
how do you trip on acid? was your shoelace untied?

Quote by perry589
Mikko, you remind me of a clogged up toilet. You're the poo that won't go away.
Quote by baylewis

i mean, im not into music from that era a great deal, but in writing this post i thought about people who could be interested in music pre 1956

Actually I think we've got that covered pretty well. We have a blues and jazz forum (though I tend to stay away from there despite my love for the blues), and there's a pretty epic folk music thread in the "other" section.

I'm not sure if there's an epic thread for classical music, but there probably is and I can't see folk or classical music needing their own sections... though that makes a folkie like myself pretty sad.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Thefallofman
I can't see folk or classical music needing their own sections...

I'm going to pretend you didn't type that...

There is a fairly lengthy classical thread in the other section, but every time I look at it, it's just some ubiquitous discussion about how great The Planets are.

There are largely two types of classical music fans: those who scratch the surface, and those who thrive in the bilious pits of the genre's spleen. I'm casually/moderately into classical music, and that single thread just does not accommodate people like me very well.
This suggestion thread is a great idea.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
Quote by Maet
I'm going to pretend you didn't type that...

There is a fairly lengthy classical thread in the other section, but every time I look at it, it's just some ubiquitous discussion about how great The Planets are.

There are largely two types of classical music fans: those who scratch the surface, and those who thrive in the bilious pits of the genre's spleen. I'm casually/moderately into classical music, and that single thread just does not accommodate people like me very well.

While classical music does deserve a place to be talked about... Ultimate Guitar isn't the place. I didn't say that to knock classical music or say that it's lacking followers- it's just not something most people on UG care about unfortunately.
Hey, I'm Mike.
also the 'if' threads, whilst they create some interesting discussion are not in interests of classic rock

like, 'if eric clapton had never played guitar'
and, 'if jimi hendrix didn't die'

There are only so many possible 'if' questions, and the majority have been done to the point of no return
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by baylewis
also the 'if' threads, whilst they create some interesting discussion are not in interests of classic rock

like, 'if eric clapton had never played guitar'
and, 'if jimi hendrix didn't die'

There are only so many possible 'if' questions, and the majority have been done to the point of no return

I think that Hendrix thread brought up some interesting stuff. It was nice to see a thread besides the "only" threads that actually had some good discussion.

As for things being talked about to death- this the classic rock forum after all! We're talking about musicians that were in their prime 30 or more years ago... there isn't much we can say that hasn't been said a hundred times already over the years, but we still seem to get a kick out of it.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Anyone else have anything to say before I do this?

A quick summary of what was suggested in this thread:
To the rules themselves-
1. Games are out (for the most part)
2. How to use the search bar correctly
3. Push the start date back to 1955
-------------------------
A general suggestion-
Thread for classic rock inspired/heavily influenced/similar sounding modern bands.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage

To the rules themselves-
A general suggestion-
Thread for classic rock inspired/heavily influenced/similar sounding modern bands.

Thats sounds good.
Quote by BrainDamage

To the rules themselves-
A general suggestion-

If it hasn't been set in stone yet.......I like it!
Page 1 of 2