I have decided to cut the clutter, I will ask all my questions here:

Eventually, you will get to see a full guitar I put together.

My first question.
Is there lead and dangerous stuff in most guitar's Paint? (I imagine there is just making sure so I take proper pre-cautions)

Second question.
Anyone ever put a tele neck pickup in the neck on a strat, did it sound good?

Third question:
What size screws do I neet for my ferule, it's a standard strat ferule/jack I am using.
What nut too?

Tis all for now.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
1) yes and no. there's no lead but there's toxic sh** in there. wear a mask.

2) tele pickups are shaped differently than strat pickups and because of that, sound different. it will sound as good as your own personal preference.

3) english, please. at least produce a coherent sentence.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
1) yes and no. there's no lead but there's toxic sh** in there. wear a mask.

2) tele pickups are shaped differently than strat pickups and because of that, sound different. it will sound as good as your own personal preference.

3) english, please. at least produce a coherent sentence.

A jack/ferule whatever its called, on a strat, the little metal oval that you plug the jack in....the housing for it. Now what screw size do I need for that.
And does anyone know the size of the nute for the input too?
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
the jack plate you mean? when you guy jack plates the screws come with it. or look on stewmac. com they sell the size you need and even tell you what the size is.

same goes with the nut/washer... comes with the jack.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
the jack plate you mean? when you guy jack plates the screws come with it. or look on stewmac. com they sell the size you need and even tell you what the size is.

same goes with the nut/washer... comes with the jack.

I have a jack plate but no screw's or nut. (It was referred to as ferule on one music website I was at)
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Yes perfect. I need the size of the nut's.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Quote by Invader Jim
If you want to put a tele pup into a straty pup, you'll need a blank pickguard (to cut custom pup holes). A tele pup won't fit into a strat pickguard.

It is a strat pup that claims to deliver the same sound as a tele, and looks like a tele one but different size too.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
so it looks and sounds like a tele pickup but it is the same size as a strat pickup?

And why don't you buy a new jack with a jack plate, there like $3.
I already have a workign jack and jack plate. Might aswell just buy the nut and two missing screw's for less than a dollar at a hardware store.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
New Question!

My neck is finished but part of it was in my window, so its discolored "Sun stained" so part of the neck is whiter, and part is darker. Is it worth sanding and evening color's or should I just leave as is.

Next: The bridge:
How should the bridge be set up, like the saddle's, screw's, etc.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Well, do you mean how should it be set up?

EDIT:, ok, that's exactly what you're asking, what gauge strings are you using?

it really doesn't matter, but in general it works well with the low E saddle as tight or far back as you can and the high E saddle being the closest to the nut
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Nov 21, 2008,
Like the screw's in the saddle's should they be in any particular spot, set in any place, etc.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
BUMP. I need question two answered. Thank you!
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Pics. We answer your questions; you give us pics.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Uploadind neck then.

EDIT: I can't upload **** with my screwy wi-fi. ILl keep trying
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Last edited by White_fang at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by White_fang
A jack/ferule whatever its called, on a strat, the little metal oval that you plug the jack in....the housing for it. Now what screw size do I need for that.
And does anyone know the size of the nute for the input too?

I think what he's talking about in this instiance of a "ferule" is really a Strat jack mount.
Pictured here: http://www.usacharvels.com/id/Input7.jpg
Also White_fang just go to Radioshack and they'll have the 1/4" phone jacks for like 2-3 bucks. Those jacks come with all the nessiary hardware to atach to the Jack plate.

To answer the second question Its a Fender neck for a fender neck Its not like its a Fender neck for a Wizard III neck it should just bolt right on. Bolt hole maybe need to move but thats just fit drill and mount.

Do some more research before you ask. It'll help you get the most of a question. And also it makes people enjoy helping you more.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
"My neck is finished but part of it was in my window, so its discolored "Sun stained" so part of the neck is whiter, and part is darker. Is it worth sanding and evening color's or should I just leave as is."

That was the question, I know fender neck's just bolt on. Sorry for confusion.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Really no one but you is gunna care or notice. I mean there are advantages to sanding a neck down like if its to "fat" of a U shape then you can flatten it down with sanding. Also the sealer the factory uses typicaly slows hands down (in some cases) so getting that layer of varnish or poly is good for some people. But those are just sugestions not recomended at all. Those are the only reasons you should sand the neck. But its you call its your guitar. But if sanding down is your path then you must seal it back up with something to keep water/sweat out of the wood or else Warping will be ravaging your sound. I've heard Linseed oil seals well.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
I guess I won't. Also some of the fet's are sharp, and 1 or two reach like just a ttttad bit over the fret board, do I need to sand those down?
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
I've never heard of anyone doing that but if its really pissing you off then. First do some research. Second If you find nothing on the topic do what you think is corect for that situation. I in that case would get a flat fine file and just slowly taper the edge like the rest of your frets till your comfortable.
Yeah, I have my file out on my desk right now. It's the best part out of my whole strat copy. The neck is exactly like my friend's strat, even down to the dimension's and looks, and the way it was sanded. I rather fancy it. The body sucks though, so I am going to make the body from scratch this summer. (It is like 8 degree's here)

I filed down the problem area with about 6-7 "rubs" on each. All better now. Now I will start designing the body.

Should I do a Les Paul Bod, or do I do a fender bod? (I was thinking Strat Paul, Strat neck, paul body)
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Last edited by White_fang at Nov 23, 2008,
Thats your choice on the shape of the body I have no bias on eather anyways. Its all looks when it comes down to it. And what ever tickles your fancy.
lol...les paul ftw!
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
If I were you, I'd uniqueify it at least a bit... Maybe try a Les Paul shape, but carve a heel and do some beveling, put the toggle switch near the knobs, and maybe reshape the headstock at least a little

But that's just me, I think that if you're making your own you might as well make it unique

Anyways, the final call is yours, and good luck with the build! I'll be checking back periodically for updates
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Well don't expect painting or sanding. That would be in the summer. It was 8 degree's the other day and only getting colder. I can only really work on the neck which is already made.

Does anyone have any good FREE plans that are exactly right for the standard strat body?
(Im making it full strat, in the future ill make a custom complete design)
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Bump. After this, let's close the thread once I get an answer.
Ill post back when I make progress.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp