so how much should i pay for a 14"X20" and 1.75" thick body blank of the following woods.

ash
alder
basswood
and mahogany

no local lumber yards carry it in high quallity, all construction materials. so i have to resort to body blanks. any of these would work in my guitar project i just need to find which will be best.

thanks
Depends entirely on where you live and where you buy it and the species of wood,

the US = cheaper than the UK
online = more expensive than lumber yard
CITES listed wood = more expensive than everything

etc, there really is no guide line for what you will pay for wood, sometimes you find a killer deal, sometimes you have to pay through the ass for a something decent to use.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
alright, thanks.
im in georgia if it matters

im going to be calling up about 20 different local flooring companies to see if they have any leads to somewhere i can find it, what should i necessarily ask them as far as what requirements it has to be? a certain grade? musical grade?
No not, really saying something is 'tone wood' just means people can slap a mark up on it, any wood is useable, it just has to be dry (6 to 8% moisture content is ideal) and you really want a peice that has no knots or cracks or anything in it.

If say you get something for a lumber yard it will probably be a big long cheap bit of wood, but really rough sawn, it will needs to be thicknessed and planed to the right sizes for guitars and smooth enough on the all the faces for routers to sit on etc (this is normally done when you get 'tonewood' its more expensive, but its ready to use straight away), so be weary of what you getting if you dont have the tools.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Nov 21, 2008,
i have some tools, enough to make the body, but not everything to finish a piece of lumber. ill call some different warehouses tomorrow and see what i can find
can I suggest talking to LP addict... send him a message, he'll be able to help.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.