okay im making a guitar from a plank of wood, and a strat neck i stole from another guitar. i have a strat style trem routed out and i am wondering is there a certaain distance the neck has to be fromm the bridge. how far does the bridge pickup have to be from the bridge? does it matter ? thanks a lot.
Jackie_ jackson dxmg
debby_dean cherry burst v
rhonda_dean dime razorback

boss gt-3
I can measureout my strat for you.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Measure form the inside of the nut to the 12th fret. That's your scale length ( lets pretend it's 25"). Then, place the bridge on the body so that the saddles are that same distance from the 12th fret, 25", so it's finally resting 50" ( 25 from nut to 12th fret, 25 from 12th fret to bridge ) from the nut. Insert your values where I had 25" and 50".
Or look in the thread or google for some body template's. those are helpful.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
scale length is nut to saddle.
a 50 scale length is longer that a strat by 11 inches.
nut to 12th is 12 & 3/4, so your saying the saddles to 22nd fret should also be 12 and 3/4?
Jackie_ jackson dxmg

boss gt-3
Quote by cthuludawn21
scale length is nut to saddle.
a 50 scale length is longer that a strat by 11 inches.

Whoops, I lose again

Currently being doped up on post-operation narcotics-based pain killers might have had something to do with that...

EDIT: I'm actually in post op, I didn't steal 'em...
Last edited by lumberjack at Nov 21, 2008,
so what has to be the same now?
Jackie_ jackson dxmg

boss gt-3
Quote by lesdan
so what has to be the same now?

The distance from the 12th fret to the nut has to be the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the saddles. I just put completely wrong numbers with the principle...see previous post for narcotics-related explanation/excuse.
alright, thanks a lot guys, one more thing its just a single humbucker at the bridge, any specific measurements for that?
Jackie_ jackson dxmg

boss gt-3
OK you all fail.

from nut to bridge has to be 25.5" (if it's truly a strat neck) with a little added for compensation. A fender bridge has a lot of room for adjustment so with the saddles at about half the length of the adjustment screw, put your bridge at about 25.5625 (25 9/16") from the front of the nut (where it meets the first fret on the board). that should give you plenty of up and down adjustment for intonation.

find the fret spacing calculator on stewmac. it'll tell you recommended bridge locations from the nut as well as the fret wire spacing. you can use those measurements to find out if your neck is 25.5, 25, 24.75, etc etc etc.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
i'm not sure what I failed at cause I didn't know what the TS was asking in post 10.
The scale length is distance between the nut and the 12th fret x2. which is how far away from the nut the saddles on the bridge should be :S
^ all except you, cam

ok not ALL... just a select few made me say "LoL WUT?!"
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
The way I heard it was.

Adjust the outer two E saddles on the bridge, forward, so that there is only 1/8th of an inch of travel left.

Then measure from the Nut on both sides in a straight line and make marks at 25.5 inches on the body.

Join these two marks, across the body with a pencil line.

Now place the bridge, so that the two E saddles, intonation points, line up with this line.

Visually check, your bridge should be square. Measure from the edge of the bridge, to the neck, to make sure.

Do another check on your scale length to the saddles.

Mark your screw holes.

Check again.

Screw it down and wind the low E back so it's almost to the back of the bridge.

Then you should be all lined up, so you can string up and tune up.
know, how far form the bridge does the brige pickup have to be?

and its not a true strat neck, its a yamaha pacifica. inside of nut to 12th fret is 12 AND 3/4"
Jackie_ jackson dxmg

boss gt-3
Quote by lesdan
know, how far form the bridge does the brige pickup have to be?

and its not a true strat neck, its a yamaha pacifica. inside of nut to 12th fret is 12 AND 3/4"

Which strangely enough is 25.5 inches, which is the Strat Scale length.

Bridge pickup, should be pretty much, next to the bridge.