I'm looking to replace my pickups and get a new amp (after Christmas) for mostly shred. The tones I like are somewhere around Malmsteen, Michael Angelo Batio and Steve Vai.
I'd like the amp to have like 2 or more channels and under 1000$ Canadian! My guitar is an Ibanez RG1570 (stock pickups). You can also suggests pedals to go along with the amp.

Preferably buying used!

Thanks!
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Last edited by tarlkea at Nov 21, 2008,
I guess the JSX is a good shred amp. It's very tight. I didn't particularly like it but I play blues and classic rock. Had some good lead tones.
I'm not sure if you can find one under 1000 CAN but maybe if you look used
Quote by PixieDust13
maybe some EVO's?

I've heard they don't sound as good in basswood and that there's been problems with them fitting in RG1570's (they are up too high unless you scrape out the pickup cavity a bit). That's just what I've heard on Jemsite from some people though.
I love my EMG's + Mesa. (Mesa has some amps for about $1000 Canadian).
Quote by Tempoe
I love my EMG's + Mesa. (Mesa has some amps for about $1000 Canadian).

I'm not a fan of the Mesa tone for shred.
Quote by tarlkea
I'm not a fan of the Mesa tone for shred.

The active EMG 81 is high output and really pushes the valves for more gain and sounds a lot different than other pickups thru the mesa.
Quote by Tempoe
The active EMG 81 is high output and really pushes the valves for more gain and sounds a lot different than other pickups thru the mesa.

I'm not really a fan of EMGs either.
sorry. different tastes I guess. I know only that my guitar sings with so much clarity and depth it makes me shiver.
Quote by Tempoe
sorry. different tastes I guess. I know only that my guitar sings with so much clarity and depth it makes me shiver.

No worries. Everyone has their own favourite tone/gear.
Quote by Ghold125
used carvin legacy, v3

i wouldnt suggest the legacy.. my friend has it and its no good
Quote by PixieDust13

Bull****, it's a great amp. If your friend cant EQ right it's his fault.
Quote by unfathomable_bo
As far as users go, lisagabe is sub par at best

my gear:

Ibanez SA260, EMG pups, Original Floyd, and Schaller locking tuners tuners

5150 III 4x12 Cab

LOOKING FOR NEW TUBE HEAD!!!!
P.M. If your selling one!!!
Quote by PixieDust13

Right, no good. Steve Vai has crap tone, and Carvin make **** amps.

Carvin x100b. I prefer the 80's models with 6l6 tubes over the newer ones with el34s but youtube it and see for yourself. It will need an OD pedal for malmsteen though.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Right, no good. Steve Vai has crap tone, and Carvin make **** amps.

Carvin x100b. I prefer the 80's models with 6l6 tubes over the newer ones with el34s but youtube it and see for yourself. It will need an OD pedal for malmsteen though.

did i ever once say he had ****ty tone? no i said the legacy wasnt that good..
it was way to muffled and bassy when i heard him play through it. jesus christ.. heaven forbid if something steve vai puts out actually is bad..

to be brutally honest he is my favorite instrument artist soo its not like im purposely saying his amp is ****.
damn guys need a tampon? hahahahaha!

But seriously..

The tone you are looking for is basically a hot rodded Marshall. I would look into a 1987x or a JCM 800 with a slight overdrive boost.

or if you want a little cheaper you can go with a Peavey Classic 30 with a smooth overdrive (malmsteen OD or something similar)

pickups I do go with

Bridge pup: Dimarzio Drop Sonic
Middle pup: Dimarzio YJM
Neck Pup: Dimarzio Air Norton
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Ideally Mesa, but good luck finding a Triple or Duel Rec for less than $1,400 (used). The Peavey 6505+ can be found used online in abundant supply for less than $1,000 USD. Phenomenally flexible amp, with insane distortion capabilities.

I agree with the EMG 81's for Shred.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by PixieDust13
did i ever once say he had ****ty tone? no i said the legacy wasnt that good..
it was way to muffled and bassy when i heard him play through it. jesus christ.. heaven forbid if something steve vai puts out actually is bad..

to be brutally honest he is my favorite instrument artist soo its not like im purposely saying his amp is ****.

You need to crank it, it's built like a true vintage valve amp.
Quote by Retro Rocker
You need to crank it, it's built like a true vintage valve amp.

theres the problem then
sorry for mishap.
Quote by PixieDust13
theres the problem then
sorry for mishap.

Haha, yeah, it usually is a problem at home

I agree with what JLT73 said, a JCM800 would be excellent, I think MAB used them in Nitro. Or perhaps some sort of Randall.
The right Randall is a killer choice for the $$.

It may be worthy to note that I've also heard that Yngwie used two amps, one that was totally clean and one that was wide-open distorted. May just be a rumor, but its worth checking out.

I've often found that, once you get to a certain point, more distortion serves to destroy your tone rather than improve it. Especially with a full band, the more distorted you are, the more you tend to get lost in the mix.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Steve Vai used the DiMarzio PAF Pro's before the Evo's came out. Paul Gilbert still uses the PAF Pro in his Ibanez sig guitar and Joe Satriani uses it as his neck pu in his sig guitars and a DiMarzio Fred in the bridge so i imagine thats a bit hotter than the PAF Pro, so maybe try The Dimarzio PAF Pro and the Fred? And with the amp try a hot Marshall like everyone is saying, such as a JCM800 or 900 second hand combo. If can afford a pedal after all this then you could try out the Steve Vai's new Ibanez Jemini Distorion/Overdrive pedal, ive not tried it but the reviews seem to be really positive, so give it a go before/if you buy it.
Last edited by Necrotise at Nov 22, 2008,
What's the difference between a JCM800 and JCM900 anyway?
Quote by Ghold125
used carvin legacy, v3

+1 the legacy is a godsend for shred and SO ****in good for the price