ok, my band is like a melting pot, I'm a melodic/technical/thrash metal guy, my bassist is like a ska, prog, jazz guy, my rhythm guitarist is a classic rock guy, my singer is nu-metal /alt rock and the drummer is a death metal elitist.

our name is Simulation Overdrive

so here's the problem; when we write we only half finish songs, we have three songs "written" but only one has a solo, but they don't consider it finished (which is a nnoying on my part because we have to constantly sit there and argue over what ti change). but the other two, we said "ok lets write something" and we got lika an intro and a verse for one and an intro and a verse for the other one, and we just hit a roadblock, we just can't write/agree on anything, also, we have decided on only two covers but we can never decide which ones.

so any help on what i can do to get the band to work together better and more smoothly?

tl;dr too bad read it
well, if you get a chance at all, try and throw together some stuff yourself, rather than relying on your band to do it all at once. get some ideas, write down a consept for a song, and put together some stuff to work on. Introduce the idea to your band and you might be surprised at how fast things fall together.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
that's is quality advice, but that's how those two half formed songs happened, i bring in material and we start but then the block comes, sometimes the singer will bring in soem cool lyrcs and i try to write something for them, but it either doesn't work and i can't think of anything or i run out of transitions and/or how to match the guitar to the lyrics
well, have you ever tried setting up a basic riff to work around and then adapting it to verses? I had to do that recently for a project I was working on. We basically wrote the guitar parts and then came up with a conscept for the lyrics and worked from there. If you have an example of your lyrics I'm sure you could get some good advice on how to work it out.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by Wicked Rose
well, have you ever tried setting up a basic riff to work around and then adapting it to verses? I had to do that recently for a project I was working on. We basically wrote the guitar parts and then came up with a conscept for the lyrics and worked from there. If you have an example of your lyrics I'm sure you could get some good advice on how to work it out.

here's the lyrics to one of the half formed ones, its called no more blood

No More Blood
Intro
Your life isn’t what you expected
Do you feel so blindsided?
You fell on your knees
With a Razor in your teeth
The blood just wont stop
Your on you one last drop
Why did you do this anyway

Chorus
Your Life!
Is in my hands
Your Life!
You just cant stand
But it wont be like that anymore
Now!
You have me
Now!
I wont let you bleed
Those cuts don’t mean anything anymore

yes i realize this is very emo, i have compensated for it by writing my riff for it in drop c
Last edited by odweedz! at Nov 21, 2008,
that's not too bad, you could probably include a verse referring to the reasoning behind the depression and maybe another as he gets back at those who have wronged him or something.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by Wicked Rose
that's not too bad, you could probably include a verse referring to the reasoning behind the depression and maybe another as he gets back at those who have wronged him or something.

my singer wrote them, apparently its about one of his friends who's a cutter
i am not in any way a lyricist i have suggested that he scream some of it to take oaway from its emo-ness, but hhe can't scream the way i had in mind, so now im stuck screaming some lines and playing lead. I will show him your advice and if you have any recomendations for the guitar, please throw them my way, i personally don't like the riff i chose for it, im going for heavy melodic and technical, but also sad, maybe something in a (not A as in the not a as in the conjunction or w/e) natural minor. tuning is no object

any advice

oh and a little off topic; what do you thing of our band name, any recomendations? i think it has too many syllables.
you could have it start off sort of slow and solumn, with the lyrics sort of regretful and pitying, and build up to how if the friend isn't willing to help him/her selft then no one can and they need to get their **** together. idk, that's all I can come up with as far as that kind of song. so good luck anyways man.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose