for some reason unknown to me, recently whenever i do my sweep arpeggios, they come out really sloppy, and the more i practice them, the sloppier they get!
help? please?

edit:

i want to put this out there

my sweeping used to be flawless, then something happened and i am experiencing the above ailment
Last edited by odweedz! at Nov 21, 2008,
What you have to do is SLOW THE HELL DOWN. Get a metronome, play your sweeps as slow as you can, while muting any ringing strings.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Practice much much slower. Painfully slow. Focus on muting and the fingering as you are going VERY slow.

EDIT: bah, SilverDark beat me
it will come in time. and yes. try and speed up the metronome like 5 bpm each week, or even sometimes every two weeks. that what i do and im getting better
70 bpm isn't that slow. Try 8th notes at around 60.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
70 is literally painfully slow fro me, i used to be a flawless player, but something happened, i have been smoking a lot of pot lately, could this be the problem?
Quote by odweedz!
70 is literally painfully slow fro me, i used to be a flawless player, but something happened, i have been smoking a lot of pot lately, could this be the problem?

Doing what? 16th notes? 8th notes? Elaborate.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

16ths about 220bpm, no joke, I'm trying to get into Berklee and my sweeps conking out on my like this is scaring me
...You don't need sweeps to impress them. Just make sure you can show them you can actually play. And you're not gonna get that fast in 1-2 months.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by SilverDark
...You don't need sweeps to impress them. Just make sure you can show them you can actually play. And you're not gonna get that fast in 1-2 months.

that's how fast i used to play, pay attention.
all of a sudden my sweeps are super sloppy this is what i need to be addressed

edit:
Quote by Tempoe
not the pot. try some blow.

what?
Last edited by odweedz! at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by odweedz!
that's how fast i used to play, pay attention.
all of a sudden my sweeps are super sloppy this is what i need to be adressed

You might've noticed that you're letting other strings ring, giving your sweeps crap. All you have to do is focus, play slow, and try to perfect your technique as best you can before your audition.

Besides, I'm also thinking about going to Berklee.

Quote by odweedz!
16ths about 220bpm, no joke, I'm trying to get into Berklee and my sweeps conking out on my like this is scaring me

I meant what note values are you using while playing slow.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Last edited by SilverDark at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by SilverDark
You might've noticed that you're letting other strings ring, giving your sweeps crap. All you have to do is focus, play slow, and try to perfect your technique as best you can before your audition.

Besides, I'm also thinking about going to Berklee.

I meant what note values are you using while playing slow.

im playing 8ths at 70bpm

and yeah there is some ringing, but its also like the notes i am supposed to be playing are like ringing then becoming a dead note/natural harmonic or sometimes never ringing true at all.
There must be some factor present now that wasn't present before, that used to cover up your mistakes and sloppiness. I doubt you suddenly just lost the ability to play. Unless you have video proof that you suddenly went from Rusty Cooley to the equivalent of a live Dragonforce show, then I don't think there is anything that strange going on.
thanks for that vote of confidence, but no im using the same amp with the same distortion and the same guitar, and i didnt get a web cam until recently.
Quote by odweedz!
i have been smoking a lot of pot lately, could this be the problem?

In a word, yes. Lay off the herb for a while and your co-ordination should come back. Preferably don't start smoking it again.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by odweedz!
thanks for that vote of confidence, but no im using the same amp with the same distortion and the same guitar, and i didnt get a web cam until recently.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound discouraging, I just think you may be overlooking something is all. There has been no other change other than the guitar and amp?
Quote by odweedz!

Captain Obvious strikes again
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
In a word, yes. Lay off the herb for a while and your co-ordination should come back. Preferably don't start smoking it again.

WHOA. Not gonna smoke pot myself if it can do that then
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by SilverDark
WHOA. Not gonna smoke pot myself if it can do that then

It most certainly can. I have personal experience of it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Smoking pot, doesn't make u play worse all of a sudden.

You said u used to be flawless, but we can only take ur word for that. How about ur ear just developed and u weren't that flawless after all.

Unless u smoked pot 10 hours a day for 2 years straight, otherwise I doubt that's the problem, since u said u only been smoking pot lately. Witout recording of before and after, we can't tell anything.

Drugs does affect ur playing. But from going to supposedely flawless playing to "can't sweep at 70 bpm" is way weird.

Alot of good guitarplayers, used waaaay more and waaaay worser drugs and alcohol then you probably ever will, and they can still play.

Unless you practice and play guitar while being stoned, then that's the problem.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Smoking pot, doesn't make u play worse all of a sudden.

Well actually it can and does. It messes with your coordination while you're under the effects and can stay in your system for months at a time so while you might not feel the effects any more it still screws with you.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well actually it can and does. It messes with your coordination while you're under the effects and can stay in your system for months at a time so while you might not feel the effects any more it still screws with you.

I know it does affect. But you don't go from flawless playing to can't play at 70 bpm, unless ur a hardcore user. Even then if u stop using, ur playing will return too good quite fast. You be amazed at the recovering ability of the human body.

Check guitarists like James Hetfield who broke his arm, and abused drugs way hard back in the days. He is still a super clean guitar player.

Or Django Rheindhard, who lost 2 fingers and still became a guitaring pioneer. It's in ur genes, and if u use drugs it will only dissappear in ur mind. But if u stop using ur guitarplaying will return, especially if ur at a young age.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I know it does affect. But you don't go from flawless playing to can't play at 70 bpm, unless ur a hardcore user. Even then if u stop using, ur playing will return too good quite fast. You be amazed at the recovering ability of the human body.

Check guitarists like James Hetfield who broke his arm, and abused drugs way hard back in the days. He is still a super clean guitar player.

Name me one SHRED guitar player who uses drugs. Either way it could just be a bad reaction to it or he could have been going at it pretty hard for a while, we don't know but in terms of culprits for a reduction in co-ordination that's pretty much number one on my list of "obvious shit".

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Name me one SHRED guitar player who uses drugs. Either way it could just be a bad reaction to it or he could have been going at it pretty hard for a while, we don't know but in terms of culprits for a reduction in co-ordination that's pretty much number one on my list of "obvious shit".

Yes, but my number 1 on the list is that alot of players think they are good, untill their ear develops and they suddenly are bad. This is (at least in the current time) number 1.

Take a look at the millions of Dragonforce fans that think Herman Li plays his arpeggios clean, when they are obvious as **** aren't

I agree drugs affect you. I just can believe u go from "Flawless" to totally suck after a few joints.

No old recordings = no proof = impossible to judge what's the problem.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
this is ridiculous. no amount of pot is going to turn you into a ****ty guitar player.. sorry. especially once you sober up it has zero effect on you. this whole thread is outrageous. guitar technique is like riding a bike (muscle memory) once you got it you dont forget. the only way you could suddenly become ****ty is if you stopped playing for months. and even so if you could sweep "flawlessly" before you would pick it up again very quickly. this is total bs. you couldnt sweep before if you cant sweep now. go practice. it sounds to me (and i am just getting down 3 string and 4 string sweeps right now so im no expert by any means) that your right hand is the problem. it sounds like you dont have a smooth transition between the strings and that your left hand isnt synchronized well enough with your right. practice the correct technique and it will come.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"