Ok so I was jamming with some peeps and I started facing my pickups at the amp to get some feedback...but now ive noticed that sometimes the volume gets quieter out of no were. I was using a wah pedal when I did the feed back. is my wah or amp on the fritz?
its your pickups, when you do that it begins to de-magnitize your pickups because of the magnetic frequencies from your speaker
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
its your pickups, when you do that it begins to de-magnitize your pickups because of the magnetic frequencies from your speaker

Huh?
its not that bad yet, youd know if it was really bad...just dont do it to much or it'll rape your volume
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod
its not that bad yet, youd know if it was really bad...just dont do it to much or it'll rape your volume

Good thing I bought that new feces-proof watch today. Yep, it seems to be holding up quite well. Slimex - Takes a *$@$ing and keeps on ticking.
KG6, what im talking about is the interfering magnetic frequencies from the magnets in the pickups and the magnet in the speaker
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Quote by BassGuitarGod

pretty sure that's not true. just saying.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by BassGuitarGod
can i fix this? will it get better?
no dude, it is true, i've read articles about it in guitar world, saw a video on how to make a pickup that mentioned it, and asked my old physics teacher about it
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
If that were true no one would be trying to get feedback...
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
i dont know if you can fix it, but a way to solve it is either get ceramic magnet pickups or a neodymium magnet speaker
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
If that was true, my gretsch wouldn't work anymore. Or my strat.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by BassGuitarGod
KG6, what im talking about is the interfering magnetic frequencies from the magnets in the pickups and the magnet in the speaker

I'm hearing what you're saying, dude, however unless he's playing inside the amplfier, with the strings less than an inch away from the speaker's magnet, it's not an issue. Standing in front of the combo or stack, the magnetic field is simply not strong enough to deaden the vibrations in the strings. Besides, the frequency of the magnets in the pick-ups and speaker are constant. An AC driven coil would have induce magnetism containing some frequency - a frequency which is measurable.

+20 year electronics technician...
Quote by l3p4rd
If that was true, my gretsch wouldn't work anymore. Or my strat.

Which is exactly the reason why it does work. A lot of rock artists have used this technique for feedback. If the magnets in speakers were that powerful, you'd see amps with Chevys and Fords stuck to them. Looking around the room, I see no Fords or Chevys stuck to my amps.
well my friend had this very same problem and he had to get new pickups in his guitar, because the became demagnetized, and i understand what your saying...and im glad you have the expertise to help me understand this a bit more, but i've read alot on this and i think i have a pretty good understanding of this as well
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Massive pedal board
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Pickups can lose output over time, but not for the reason you've stated. Think about this logically for a second or two - if bringing your guitar within a few feet of an amplifier caused the magnets in your pickup to become demagnetized, any number of other household items, with stronger electromagnetic fields, would absolutely destroy your pickups in no time flat. Items such as monitors (CRT), blenders, refrigerators all generate magnetic fields. Even the high voltage lines that run near your house generate magnetic fields.
You seem to exhibit a lot of knowledge for an 18-year old, but you probably need to brush up a little bit on your understanding of magnetic theory.
Say, aren't the pickups in your guitar nearly demagnetized? Might I recommend new ones? I'm thinking that last solar flare we experienced may've greatly reduced the magnetism in your pups.
Quote by RockAddict311
I hope this **** turns out ok.

What kind of an amp are you running? Tube or solid state?
try running straight into the amp without any pedals and see what happens.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120