in the mid 60's Fender Inc. was purchased by CBS inc. They reduced the quality to cut costs and made some crap axes. CBS eventually sold Fender back to the share holders in the 90's I believe, correct me if I am wrong please! Fender then became a private company again and returned to using proper materials and making good guitars.

I.E., don't get a Fender from the 70's or 80's, they are not that great.. Get a vintage or a new!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
oh cool.....i was looking a a nice 74 fender and was told it was CBS and was curious.... thx for the info
Quote by ValoRhoads

I.E., don't get a Fender from the 70's or 80's, they are not that great.. Get a vintage or a new!

Thats completely subjective, Ive owned a '77 P-bass and it wasnt bad at all.

CBS era basses are different, some people like them and some dont. The jazz basses are the biggest difference in the CBS era, they had their bridge pickup moved closer to the bridge and that created a really snappy sound for slap and pick and aggressive fingerstyle.
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Jagermeisterguy
oh cool.....i was looking a a nice 74 fender and was told it was CBS and was curious.... thx for the info

I wouldn't just stop looking it at because its a "CBS Fender". I won't have the same collectors value as a pre-CBS fender, but in terms of quality it probably still isn't a terrible instrument.

I would at least go give it a try, see if anything wrongs with it, you might even like it.
Quote by Captain Insano
I wouldn't just stop looking it at because its a "CBS Fender". I won't have the same collectors value as a pre-CBS fender, but in terms of quality it probably still isn't a terrible instrument.

I would at least go give it a try, see if anything wrongs with it, you might even like it.

i wouldn't let it being CBS get in my way, i didn't really care for it...but now that i know, i know what to look for when told its a CBS....thx for the help guys
I would let the instrumnet make it's own case...never shop for gear with your eyes.