IF YOU'RE GOING TO SAY SOMETHING IGNORANT OR STUPID, LEAVE NOW.

tl;dr Emo is just as legitimate as any other genre.

Mods, please do not close this without giving it a chance. How fair would it be
to close this when this thread has been alive for years?

I want to bring up some points that (hopefully) might help people see "emo" in a different way. I don't particularly care for "emo," by the way.

I don't usually make threads in the Pit because they always fail. Unfortunately, it doesn't really fit anywhere else, except Pop Punk & Emo, and it would probably be closed immediately there. I typed this in response to this thread only to find it has been closed (rightly so, it's in the wrong forum and it's been done too many times). I didn't want to type this for nothing, so I decided to post it here.

First of all, has nobody else mentioned that TS is a year or so behind? Is the so-called "emo" thing still a trend? I haven't seen/heard much of it lately. It's not dead, but it's on its way out.

Second of all, Panic at the Disco isn't emo. They have nothing in common with any other bands that are called emo nowadays (or in the past, for that matter). Their first album was clearly pop-rock with some vaudeville-style parts. Their second album sounded pretty much just like The Zombies.

Honestly, why isn't it accepted as a legitimate scene? Modern "emo" is just like a lot of other rock genres. Glam rock, hair metal, grunge, punk rock, indie, new wave, even rock and roll itself.

1. A few bands, usually part of a particular scene, have a unique sound and image.
2. One of those bands gets popular in the mainstream.
3. Some of the other bands from the same small scene ride the coattails of the popular band.
4. A bunch of bands copy the popular bands and the other similar bands. They often have a more poppy sound.
5. There are a bunch of annoying new fans.
6. Record labels and the music media try to cash in by labelling any band with a sound or image that's even remotely similar to those bands as [genre]. This spawns even more annoying fans.
6. Some people start to hate the genre. A lot of people, in the case of emo.
7. The genre is no longer trendy. It dies out of the mainstream and mostly has a small but devoted following.
8. Skip about 20-30 years and sometimes there's a "revival."
9. ???
10. Profit!!!

Emo fashion has a lot of characteristics of past genres. For example, a lot of "emo" bands have androgenous(sp?) images and wear makeup, like glam rock. Tight pants were popular in all of those genres I mentioned earlier except grunge. I could continue, but this post is long enough as it is.

Musically, it's just another kind of rock with distorted guitars. And a lot of these bands are not 3-chord pop bands. I don't see how anyone could think that. Just listen to their music. MCR uses more complex harmony than any metal or hard rock I've ever heard, excluding prog rock. Same with PATD, even though they definitely aren't emo. And a lot of them have obvious metal influences. And so what if it is just a few chords sometimes? What's wrong with that? So is country music. And listen to Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, or Jerry Lee Lewis and count how many of their songs have more than 3 chords. You won't find that many. And without those musicians, this forum wouldn't exist.

Don't say LOL EMOS CUT THEMSELVES AND CRY ALL THE TIME. That's a baseless stereotype. Self-mutilation is a seriously bad thing that existed long before "emo" got popular. People who cut themselves aren't "emo." They have real psychological issues. Either that or they're starved for attention and do it because of the stereotype.

ok may i say that metallica is far from emo it has dark lyrics but for example Fade To Black it came out long before the word emo was invented so skrew off o and emo music is ok on like 2 songs the rest is just gay wrist cutting

I sincerely hope this was a joke. If so, I applaud you and present you with the "Trolly" award for "Best in Thread." Otherwise, .

By the way, I'm aware that modern "emo" has practically nothing in common with original emo. That's why I used quotation marks around it. The fact is that in 10 years, most people are going to call Fall Out Boy and MCR emo whether it's true or not. Some people call Madonna new wave. We're better off just accepting it and not getting tied up in genre names.

Please be respectful. I know this will probably get closed, but I really want to have a serious discussion.
Last edited by werty22 at Nov 21, 2008,
I thought this was over with already.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.

I'll give it ALLLLLL!

And good for you, user below me.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
im emo and i deal wit it , so, shut up about people whining about emos...it over
-Jake Blackwood
Tl;dr...

Is there a short, non-emo version?
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
There's about a snowball's chance in hell that I am actually going to read that..instead I'll just post this...

Last edited by Altoidwithmelon at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by guitar351
im emo and i deal wit it , so, shut up about people whining about emos...it over

So your saying it's not a choice?

I guess it's tough getting made fun of everyday. Stick with it, bro.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

please stop complaining about people complaining abouts emo
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by trying hippie
Ow, just put my thighs together and squished a nut.

I shouldn't have expected the Pit to take this seriously.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
the whiny emo whines about our whinging.

oh the irony
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by guitar351

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAA What, you diagnosed with it or some shiz?
Frusciante

zzeazz -

Im coming for you
Quote by trying hippie
Ow, just put my thighs together and squished a nut.

Trust me I'm a doctor

A doctor with a mustache
goddamn, stop whining so much. that is so emo of you.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Yea guys, I mean My Chemical Romance has saved LIVES
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Plenty for everybody. Help yourselves guys.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
READ THIS RUCKUS

Emo as actually a 90s genre, and ONLY a 90s genre, it's simply Hardcore Punk with emotive lyrics

therefore true Emo sound = true Hardcore Punk sound, just differed lyrics
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by guitar351

Well, according to your profile your nine. So that explains a lot.
Your list actually seemed kind of understandable until you ended it with:
9.???
10. profit
That joke's older than the emo scene is. And I hate emo so much because people have their music effect their style so much they look like retards. You don't see people in the glam metal era walking around like this
Quote by werty22

Honestly, why isn't it accepted as a legitimate scene? Modern "emo" is just like a lot of other rock genres. Glam rock, hair metal, grunge, punk rock, indie, new wave, even rock and roll itself.

I fucking hate all those genres... well, except for like, two punk rock bands.