I just arranged to go take a look at and hopefully buy a 07 MIM fat strat. Id kind of rather have all single coils since this is a second electric for me and i dont need more humbucker versatility but its a good deal and i figured id just put a coil tap on an aftermarket pup (assuming the stock one doesnt have four leads) and have the best of both worlds. i was thinking i could put a high output humbucker hot enough that when in split mode would match the stock pups pretty good (not necissarily good but just not "out of place") and hum canceling mode would just be like a bonus high output metal type in your face humbucker insanity type of thing. the two ive considered are polar opposites with each other, a dimebucker or a tone zone. anybody try coil tap on a fat strat? with what results? any pickup suggestions for a bridge pup that would match decently when split and give a cool non strat bonus tone when humbucking? any cool bridge pup suggestions in general?
it is a good idea to do what your thinking and coil tap the humbucker, but you know if you want you can buy a SSS pickguard and another awesome single coil for the bridge if you want it to be a true strat.

Dimebuckers are really muddy and don't sound to good. So it looks like your going for the tone zone then? Whatever you like
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
I just arranged to go take a look at and hopefully buy a 07 MIM fat strat. Id kind of rather have all single coils since this is a second electric for me and i dont need more humbucker versatility but its a good deal and i figured id just put a coil tap on an aftermarket pup (assuming the stock one doesnt have four leads) and have the best of both worlds. i was thinking i could put a high output humbucker hot enough that when in split mode would match the stock pups pretty good (not necissarily good but just not "out of place") and hum canceling mode would just be like a bonus high output metal type in your face humbucker insanity type of thing. the two ive considered are polar opposites with each other, a dimebucker or a tone zone. anybody try coil tap on a fat strat? with what results? any pickup suggestions for a bridge pup that would match decently when split and give a cool non strat bonus tone when humbucking? any cool bridge pup suggestions in general?
Seymour Duncan Stag Mag.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
When people do that, they're saying that in their opinion that's the best suggestion.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by WH15P3R
When people do that, they're saying that in their opinion that's the best suggestion.

ok makes sense. thank you. oh and i did look up that stag mag and its a perfect suggestion. ive been to the SD site many times but it never even caught my eye. any more suggestions would still be welcome despite the /thread from anybody thats found a bridge pup thats good both split and hum canceling mode perhaps for unique or unexpected reasons. ideally im looking for something that can be a raging screeching ringing single coil and still a roaring humbucker that doesnt sound nazal at all and has good bottom end response if such a thing exists but im open to suggestion. unexpected suggestions are welcome, even prefered.
one other thing its a little bold to suggest that your opinion on something as unquantifiable as tone is so good that no more input is needed. i very much appreciate that suggestion but i am looking for and would thankfully welcome as much input as i can get.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Nov 22, 2008,