I just bought a used vox ad15vt and I keep seeing things like "tube tone". Are they just saying it is supposed to sound like a tube but actually isn't? Or is it a real tube amp so I will have to replace the tubes and such.
Look in the back. If there's glass things, that glow while its on. There's tubes.

I'm assuming its just solid state, everyone flaunts "Tube Tone" whether there is tubes or not, either it has it legitimately, or they say it has a solid state replica of it.

On second notice of the amp model? Yeah, no tubes dude, sorry. :P

Or, well, as the guy above said, there's one, but yeah. Not a tube amp. Just tries for that sound.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I see one glow....but it's about the size and intensity of a firefly.....I'm guessing it needs to be changed.
It's actually healthy if it's not that much of a glow. They're not lightbulbs :P
So don't change it. And yea, like everyone said, it's a solid state with an attempt at tubes.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by ACDCfrontman
I see one glow....but it's about the size and intensity of a firefly.....I'm guessing it needs to be changed.

The glow shouldn't be very bright, if it is, the bias is probably WAY too hot.
When it completely goes out should I change it? Pretty much everyone's saying it's irrelevant.
don't worry about needing to change it. IF it needs to be changed you'll know it, you'll turn the amp on and it's blow a fuse or make weird noises or something. Seriously, stop worrying about the tubes and just use the god damn thing!
Quote by ACDCfrontman
When it completely goes out should I change it? Pretty much everyone's saying it's irrelevant.

the vox people say that you need to change it every 2 years, i'd say about half that.

it will make a big difference on the tone. people seem to downplay the tubes in these amps, the way they use it makes the MOST difference a tube can make in a 1 tube amp. basically the signal chain claims to be digital pre ->adaptive ~1w tube power->ss power.

you can benefit from using different tubes and different gain ratings in these amps too, its sort of season to taste though, remember, its being used as a power tube though, so it doesn't effect it the same as it would in a preamp.
im a blues man, but a good man, understand?