I've been teaching kids around my town how to play guitar for free and a couple of them have turned out really well. I'm gonna start teaching this 11 year old (his parents insist they pay me something) but he's a lefty. Is there anything different that I might have trouble teaching him because of his lefthandedness

btw, both me and my most talented student are lefty but we learned how to play righty if that changes anything.

EDIT: wasn't quite sure what forum to put this in
UG's Prodigal Son
I'm a lefty. You and he should have no problems. We're just left handed not mentally challenged.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by trying hippie
Really nerdy way to put it man

I know but I was trying to be vague so a couple people might check the thread out instead of skipping over it completely
UG's Prodigal Son
it would actually be easier for a lefty to learn from a right handed teacher. Reason being it would be like looking into a mirror and the finger patterns would be easier to follow.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
If he hasn't already started to learn, have him play righty, the extra dexterity he has in his left hand will help him initially, and he won't have to buy expensive lefty guitars in the future.
Quote by Jackal58
I'm a lefty. You and he should have no problems. We're just left handed not mentally challenged.

I don't think lefties are mentally challenged. I'm one (but I play guitar righty) I just wasn't sure if I was going to know what to do if something's different teaching a lefty

Quote by Davo Owns
lol oh noez u iz leftyz u iiz doomed,,

It's fine.

you obviously didn't read the thread because I'm not learning I'm teaching someone who is lefty

Quote by Blaster Bob
If he hasn't already started to learn, have him play righty, the extra dexterity he has in his left hand will help him initially, and he won't have to buy expensive lefty guitars in the future.

He learned how to play rock band lefty and he felt awkward holding my guitar. Plus I can't control what guitar his parents get him.
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Nov 21, 2008,
Quote by lunaticfringe93
I know but I was trying to be vague so a couple people might check the thread out instead of skipping over it completely

Ohh. word
Frusciante

zzeazz -

Im coming for you