Ok,
I've found this place on ebay not far from me that sells nicely figured woods already dried etc. He is also very cheap, $8 for a piece of figured wood big enough for one neck.

Anyway, here are the woods he is selling, are they strong enough to make necks and bodys out of?
Neck:
Mango?
Brown Salwood?
Spanish Cedar?
Sheoak?
Silky Oak?
Banksia?
Bendee?
Forest Red Gum?
Soapwood?
QLD Blackwood?
QLD Maple?

Here is the all the neck sized pieces: link

he also sells a lot of figured boards which would be nice caps/ tops, does the wood used for tops matter to much?

I may PM ormsby because he'd probably know a lot about Australian woods...

EDIT: does the janka and stability matter for a fretboard?
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Nov 21, 2008,
Mango. Sounds Yum, Yum, Yummy.

I don't know. Try googling on those materials tho, should give some results.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
just check the hardness/stability by looking through websites. hard maple is around 1200-1400 janka. its just gotta be stable. hell basswood is like 500 on the janka, and you can make a neck out of that just fine because its more stable than maple.
Yeah compare it with what is normally used.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
How many kilonewtons is Maple?
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
mango is hard, but i dont hink its stable. its a very small tree, and the tree is frequently bending in wind and grows at an angle. that should tell you something about its ability to be used for a neck, it will bend,.
The only plus I see to the mango, is I guess it's EXTREMELY easy to polish and get really glllllossed up.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
so if maple is not that stable why is it one if not the most common wood used in necks?

And mango trees are usually quite big, the trunk about 1m in diametre, give or take a few. We used to have a massive one at our old house, anyway, so the bigger the tree the more stable is that right? If that is right, is 4.5 Kn enough?

EDIT: My bad, i thought you were talking about maple.
All the mango trees i've seen are quite large?
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Nov 21, 2008,
Find the Kn of Maple. If it's close, and its not that bad, I'd go for it. Finishing it off would be pretty to see
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp