I'm looking to start a collection of pedals but I don't know all the basics. Does having a lot of pedals or even a few in a signal chain alter your tone? does a distortion pedal take away the tube tone of a tube amp? does it matter if you plug pedals into the fx loop or before the preamp?
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Quote by JordantheAxe
I'm willing to spend from 400-500 on them. Whats GG&A?

EDIT: GG&A is guitar gear & accessories, it's what you're posting in right now.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Learn to play before learning to play with pedals, get hold of copy of guitar rig or say a line 6 toneport and play through the gear box plug to get a feel for different effects and what the controls do, then start looking. You sound like you're pretty new to this, the gearbox route will (outside of bit torrent) be the most cost-effective way for now. If you do this you will get a feeling, then you can really focus and buy quality, not boss.
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Quote by gnomieowns
guitar gear and accessories.

edit: just realized the incredible fail in this thread.

well since i'm already in this forum being recommending to the same place threw me off guard.
edit: and to others I'm just new to pedals, not to playing guitar. lol just want to be informed before I start buying.
Quote by JordantheAxe
well since i'm already in this forum being recommending to the same place threw me off guard.

ever heard of the search bar? use it
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
ever heard of the search bar? use it

How helpful you. I had three quick questions, the search bar takes a long time to look through. You could help or be an ass, your call.
Yeah, so learn about pedals and get a sweet practise tool in the process, get a toneport/gearbox thingy. Do you gig?
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Quote by clap_clap_clap
Yeah, so learn about pedals and get a sweet practise tool in the process, get a toneport/gearbox thingy. Do you gig?

I don't gig right now but I should in the future. I use digital effects when recording so i'm not new to that. I had a multifx unit before but hated the tone so I took it back, I'm not looking to get another one.
Quote by JordantheAxe
How helpful you. I had three quick questions, the search bar takes a long time to look through. You could help or be an ass, your call.

Well I guess I'll help then since you're being lazy.

1. Pedals have either a buffered bypass, or a true bypass. a true bypass completely bypasses the pedal when it's off, so you're tone is not going through all the components even when the pedal is off. a buffered bypass is when the signal goes through the pedal components, but is buffered at the end, restoring the quality.
Boss make very bad bypass's on most of their pedals, but my VS h2o has an amazing buffered bypass, no change in tone at all. My dunlop wah doesn't have a tone change either. But any boss pedals I've tried change the tone. Try before you buy.

2. a distortion pedal is trying to sound like a tube amp, but on board distortion is always better than pedals. (in any good amp) Pedals use solid state (except a few exceptions) to achieve that tone, not tube, so they won't truly sound "tubey"

3. And finally, certain effects sound better through the loop. Generally any modulation/time based effects (phaser, flanger, chorus, delay, reverb) sound better through the effects loop while distortion, overdrive, wah, and such sound better before the amp.

happy?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
To answer one of your questions - yes, if you have too many effects in your loop, the impedance can be effected, which will kill your tone. Make sure you use quality cables to connect your stomps. To answer your other question - check out Musician's Friend dot com. Have a look at their Boss pedals. Most of them have sample sound files, so you can get an idea of what a given effect sounds like. Once you have an idea what you like, visit your nearest guitar store. Most of them have displays set up, where you can test the various stomps they sell. Then it's just a simple matter of having the cashola to buy the ones you want. Don't forget to buy a decent pedal board. I have the SKB PS-45 and absolutely love it. It's big, but it holds about a dozen stomps. If you're gigging, the PS-45 may be too big, as some stages are cramped for space. In that case, you may want to consider a multi-effects unit - lots of functionality in a small footprint.
Quote by danyellenik
Well I guess I'll help then since you're being lazy.

1. Pedals have either a buffered bypass, or a true bypass. a true bypass completely bypasses the pedal when it's off, so you're tone is not going through all the components even when the pedal is off. a buffered bypass is when the signal goes through the pedal components, but is buffered at the end, restoring the quality.
Boss make very bad bypass's on most of their pedals, but my VS h2o has an amazing buffered bypass, no change in tone at all. My dunlop wah doesn't have a tone change either. But any boss pedals I've tried change the tone. Try before you buy.

2. a distortion pedal is trying to sound like a tube amp, but on board distortion is always better than pedals. (in any good amp) Pedals use solid state (except a few exceptions) to achieve that tone, not tube, so they won't truly sound "tubey"

3. And finally, certain effects sound better through the loop. Generally any modulation/time based effects (phaser, flanger, chorus, delay, reverb) sound better through the effects loop while distortion, overdrive, wah, and such sound better before the amp.

happy?

Actually yes, that helped a lot lol.
Do you have any recommendation for pedals?
Quote by JordantheAxe
Actually yes, that helped a lot lol.
Do you have any recommendation for pedals?

Well, what are you looking for in pedals?

*sorry for being a jerk earlier
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
Well, what are you looking for in pedals?

*sorry for being a jerk earlier

No problem, we're all guilty of it haha.
Well I don't have any specific needs for fx. I'm getting a boss loop pedal. A good delay would be nice, maybe a reverb unit. I was about to buy a sonic stomp off ebay but heard some bad things about it. Any kind of pedal you have in mind that could add to my sound. I have a gibson sg and a peavy valveking, and play hardrock.
Quote by JordantheAxe
No problem, we're all guilty of it haha.
Well I don't have any specific needs for fx. I'm getting a boss loop pedal. A good delay would be nice, maybe a reverb unit. I was about to buy a sonic stomp off ebay but heard some bad things about it. Any kind of pedal you have in mind that could add to my sound. I have a gibson sg and a peavy valveking, and play hardrock.

400-500? I'd get a wah, overdrive, delay, and possibly something else modulation wise like a chorus or a phaser.

wah:
dunlop 535q wah. it is the most versatile wah I've ever used, can do anything. I'll have it forever. - $130

Overdrive: maxon od-808. amazing overdrive, as good or better than MANY boutique hangdmade overdrives. sounds great, especially with a VK. - $135

Delay: Personally, I'd go with a Visual Sound h2o. i own it and it's great, delay and chorus in one package. great bypass too. $190 OR// a mxr carbon copy

you're up to $455, with an AMAZING rig, I'm sure anyone on UG will back this up.

EDIT: looper will get old quick, besides, you can do all that on your computer with a microphone
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
400-500? I'd get a wah, overdrive, delay, and possibly something else modulation wise like a chorus or a phaser.

wah:
dunlop 535q wah. it is the most versatile wah I've ever used, can do anything. I'll have it forever. - $130

Overdrive: maxon od-808. amazing overdrive, as good or better than MANY boutique hangdmade overdrives. sounds great, especially with a VK. - $135

Delay: Personally, I'd go with a Visual Sound h2o. i own it and it's great, delay and chorus in one package. great bypass too. $190 OR// a mxr carbon copy

you're up to $455, with an AMAZING rig, I'm sure anyone on UG will back this up.

EDIT: looper will get old quick, besides, you can do all that on your computer with a microphone

I'll look into those for sure. So you recommend getting an OD even though I've got a tube amp?
Quote by danyellenik

wah:

replace that with the fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet, and you got yourself a deal.
Quote by JordantheAxe
I'll look into those for sure. So you recommend getting an OD even though I've got a tube amp?

that's the point you use overdrives with tube amps, not solid state amps. It will tighten up your distortion if you set it right, and you can get blues/classic rock tones that are a different flavour of what you currently have. overdrives generally sound bad with solid state amps. and great on tube amps.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
that's the point you use overdrives with tube amps, not solid state amps. It will tighten up your distortion if you set it right, and you can get blues/classic rock tones that are a different flavour of what you currently have. overdrives generally sound bad with solid state amps. and great on tube amps.

Someone actually just posted that pedal on the classifieds in my town, which is small so that's a pretty good coincidence. He's asking 130 canadian (105 US?) so it sounds like a good deal. So the pedal is played on the gain channel not the clean channel of an amp right? Can this pedal get me really heavy metal tones if I need it? If so I'm pretty much sold on this pedal haha.
You could stack it with the gain channel on your amp to get some pretty high gain I imagine. What amp do you have? That is a good price, for a Ts-808 for sure. You can also put them on the clean channel, gets you some grit. Its all preference really, You can use a great OD to supplement a number of things on a good amp. Personally, also, my favourite Modulation effect is the chorus, I find myself using it most, as you can subtley add it in a ton of different places without it being noticable as this crazy effect, it can just change your tone a bit. Or you can crank it up and get all spacey too, whatever you want. :P
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by JordantheAxe
Someone actually just posted that pedal on the classifieds in my town, which is small so that's a pretty good coincidence. He's asking 130 canadian (105 US?) so it sounds like a good deal. So the pedal is played on the gain channel not the clean channel of an amp right? Can this pedal get me really heavy metal tones if I need it? If so I'm pretty much sold on this pedal haha.

My local music store had them for sale regular price $135. I'm in canada too. But our local store has great prices.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808