I jam with this guy now and then, he's a pretty good player. But the problem is his total ignorance towards other music. Let me explain. He's a metal player, and as a result, is obsessed with triplet power chord rhythms and guitar shred. Of course this isn't horrible at all, it's just he's way to repetitive with his music. When I say he uses triplet rhythms and some guitar shred (more like fast pentatonic runs though,) I'm not ****ing around, that's it. All of his "guitar rhythms" usually sound exactly the same, and his 'solos' aren't anything to make up for it, because they have the same problem.

He doesn't have a Guitar Hero complex though, and he's a genuine good guy overall. I've tried asking him multiple times for us to play clean, jam to some jazz chords or something more bluesy, and he denies it, probably because he can't and/or he's just a pure metal-head. He wants to start a band with me though, and I don't really want to be involved with the "total metal" scene he's at...I don't want to piss him off though because he's still a good friend and it's nice to play with him now and then for a short period of time when I'm in a metal mood.

How could I tell him?
"I dont really want to play metal."
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Tell him to listen to Between the Buried and Me.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Like that

"You're a pretty good player. But the problem is your total ignorance towards other music. Let me explain. You're a metal player, and as a result, are obsessed with triplet power chord rhythms and guitar shred. Of course this isn't horrible at all, it's just you're way to repetitive with your music. When I say you use triplet rhythms and some guitar shred (more like fast pentatonic runs though,) I'm not ****ing around, that's it. All of your "guitar rhythms" usually sound exactly the same, and your 'solos' aren't anything to make up for it, because they have the same problem.

You don't have a Guitar Hero complex though, and you are a genuine good guy overall. I've tried asking you multiple times for us to play clean, jam to some jazz chords or something more bluesy, and you denied it, probably because you can't and/or you're just a pure metal-head. You want to start a band with me though, and I don't really want to be involved with the "total metal" scene you're at...I don't want to piss you off though because you're still a good friend and it's nice to play with you now and then for a short period of time when I'm in a metal mood."
Yeah, but the thing is, I really do want to play metal, too. I want to play jazz, funk, blues, country, pop, metal...the list is endless. So telling him "nah man, I'm not a metal player" is bull****, especially because of how much shred and metal I have played with him, he'd know it wasn't true.
Quote by fretsofthebeast
there is nothing wrong with metal....ask him to try different types of metal

There isn't, I can't sit at home or with someone though and play metal all day, as my mood or thoughts change so does my musical senses.

sorry for the double post
Tell him that your not really into the same style he plays. You said you want to play a variety of genres. Not just pure fast metal, you want to be progressive.
Be in a metal band with him, jam with other people when you want to let out the other aspects of your playing.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
Be in a metal band with him, jam with other people when you want to let out the other aspects of your playing.

Actually sounds like a good direction. Thanks for all your help guys, I have an idea of what to do now.
Quote by FFTLxx
Tell him to listen to Between the Buried and Me.

This.

He'll want to play clean jazz and blues right away after hearing it.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.