im looking to uprgade my amp and i really like the marshall MG100DFX, it is in my price range and it has 100 watts

i was wondering if anyone knows much about it, like if this amp has good quality, tone and effects etc.

i play mainly rock and metal
You should probably save a little more and get a valve king.

That's much too expensive for a 100 watt practice amp which is what that amp is.
you like it cuz it looks cool and its a marshall dontyou

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Marshall makes excellent amps, but I'd stay away from solid state. If you want a real Marshall, save up and get a JCM 2000 or so, the only drawback being the $2000 price tag. In that price range, you'd be better served getting a Peavy ValveKing, as suggested above, or maybe a Randall solid state (I love mine and it gives great metal tones ).

You'd be best served asking in the electric guitar section though.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Tommy Walker
You should probably save a little more and get a valve king.

That's much too expensive for a 100 watt practice amp which is what that amp is.

he speaks the truth ^^^
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by timzee117
you like it cuz it looks cool and its a marshall dontyou

Dude...

1) Absolutely no help at all. This isn't The Pit and "fap" is not a valid response. Quit flaming.

2) Marshall amps are nothing to sneeze at.

3) Who doesn't want an amp that looks cool?

4) How do you know he hasen't played it yet? Maybe he genuinely likes the tone.

If you aren't going to be helpfull, don't post. Be a tool in The Pit and keep it there.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Wattage doesn't mean a lot. It has nothing to do with tone. Tube amps are going to be much louder than SS regardless of wattage. Unless you're gigging in stadiums, lower watt amps will serve you just fine (not hating on Dual rect). What do you need your amp for (gigging, practice)?
Quote by Tommy Walker
Wattage doesn't mean a lot. It has nothing to do with tone. Tube amps are going to be much louder than SS regardless of wattage. Unless you're gigging in stadiums, lower watt amps will serve you just fine (not hating on Dual rect). What do you need your amp for (gigging, practice)?

Great point. With valve (also called tube) amps, the basic equasion is you take the wattage and multiply it by 2, and that's the equivelant in solid state (SS). So for instance if you have a 50 watt tube amp, in solid state that would equate to a 100 watt amp. If you're just playing in your bedroom or jamming with friends, you probably don't need more then a 60w solid state (or 30w tube). Letting us know what you'll be utalizing the amp for will give us a better idea of what to suggest.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
thanks for the info, ill be primarily using itfor a) my room and b) small shows (talent show etc.)
i mainly want to stay away from a big amp, i like this because it is not very big...
Here's a couple recommendations:

This would probably work really well

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

It's going to be pretty loud in your room though. Make sure parents/neighbors don't care.

Here's one much less expensive and quieter too, though it still can do small gigs just fine

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032
While this topic is about amps, I have a question regarding that valveking. What does "Lead" Channel mean and why is there different volume control knobs?
Marshall is like any other Amp company, they make some great amps, and some terrible amps.

IMO the MG100 is not worth the $. It's really "midy" not a lot of balls for a 100watt solid state amp.

Honestly, the best thing to do is Shop around, and play all kinds of different amps, and decide for yourself which amp sounds right.

Good luck.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage