I got a peavey valveking 4x12 a few months ago and i m pretty satisfied. I needed a replacement and i found it on ebay for like half the store price so i got it. It s a pretty damn good amp. My only problem with it is when i m on the dirty channel, there s this slight... scrachiness to it. Obviously, distortion is supposed to sound kinda "scrachy," but this is just not right. It s minor, but i would still like to fix it. Could it be the speakers, tubes or just the amp itself?
if its limited to the dirty channel i would say tubes right off the bat. i would check for microphonics by tapping the tubes with a pencil while the amp is on and listening for sound though the speaker, if you find a tube that is really microphonic, then replace it and your problem should disappear.
im a blues man, but a good man, understand?
just a tapping noise, it will be obvious, trust me, it sounds like someone tapping on a glass tube
If I understand what you are saying, I kinda had the same problem, my tubes were brand new, so I tried tons of things, and the thing that fixed it was a new speaker.

But I might not be understanding what you are saying.
Quote by Pg.inc_music
If I understand what you are saying, I kinda had the same problem, my tubes were brand new, so I tried tons of things, and the thing that fixed it was a new speaker.

But I might not be understanding what you are saying.

it doesnt do it on the clean channel though, so outside of a cheap speaker and a good ear, i wouldnt think it would be a technical problem with the speaker

edit:
no valveking here, but im familiar with them.
Ok. To further expand, it s only on dirty, not clean, and it occurs only when i m playing on the low end with chords of more than three notes ... the slight scratchy overtone. But sometimes it also appears when i m playing fast on the low end and it makes it sound kinda sloppy cuz it sorta blends all the notes together.
im thinking its a rattle in the tube causing problems when your room, and thus your amp, vibrate at low frequencies, the gain on your lead channel would make it alot more noticeable.

you could just be hearing a low quality speaker and the bass isnt as tight as you would like, but im leaning toward a tube problem...
ok well i ll start another thread on this tomarrow, since i m at my aunts house now, and i ll tell you how the pencil theory went and i ll record my playing something and upload it somewhere.
i would just bump this one, the mods might not like you starting a new thread...
Just post it in this same thread dude, but yeah. Definitely, update on the pencil test and post a sound clip.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
ok i though i might have some trouble finding it again but actually, second thoughts that would make more sense.
you can search on thread created by you in your profile.

do you know how to take the aluminum casings off?

turn amp power on for like 5 minutes, then turn standby up for a couple of minutes and tap or nudge slightly the preamp tubes. If you can buy some preamp tubes first - do it. They're cheap and it will make trouble shooting easier.

Post/check the VK Thread too please we just discussed this with my amp. If you can't The Valveking Thread on the 2nd or 3rd page of this forum you can find it in The Gear Thread sticky.
ok so i tried the pencil thing, but i don t know what i m looking for. i just tapped them with a pencil and they made a sound but nothing from the amp.
I have a Valveking. The "scratchyness" might be the somewhat harsh or buzzy tone the amp produces on the lead channel. According to many Valveking owners, most of this can be removed with a good EQ pedal like the MXR 10 band, and lowering the 2-4K bands, and slightly raising the lower mid bands. Better speakers with make it sound better too, especially in the tightness of the lows to give it a more clear and articulate sound. I have witnessed this by hearing a few Valvekings live with a different cabinet. I use an OD pedal in front which also help a lot with the lows and clarity.
Quote by ChadT
I have a Valveking. The "scratchyness" might be the somewhat harsh or buzzy tone the amp produces on the lead channel. According to many Valveking owners, most of this can be removed with a good EQ pedal like the MXR 10 band, and lowering the 2-4K bands, and slightly raising the lower mid bands. Better speakers with make it sound better too, especially in the tightness of the lows to give it a more clear and articulate sound. I have witnessed this by hearing a few Valvekings live with a different cabinet. I use an OD pedal in front which also help a lot with the lows and clarity.

+1

im thinking the same thing at this point, the TS just has a good ear and lackluster hardware.

Eq petals can work wonders for an amp, and so do new speakers. if you have access to another valveking you can play through, try it, if it gives you the same problem then you most likely dont have a hardware problem per-say, if it does sound different then it could be something more