Ive got an epiphone les paul studio and a roland cube 30x. Im gonna but effects, boss effects but which is better? the boss me-20 (multi effect) or should i just buy pedals slowly one by one. Im always short of cash. Budget is about 200 bucks right now.
it would be better if you just bought the pedals slowly one by one , so therefore you can mix and match and try diffrent companies, since if you buy a boss me-20 all the sounds would be boss made
Generally, single effects will sound better, but muti-effects aren't the worst thing in the world, especially if you're on a budget. I would, howerever, advise against the ME-20.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by Minderbinder
Generally, single effects will sound better, but muti-effects aren't the worst thing in the world, especially if you're on a budget. I would, howerever, advise against the ME-20.

So what do ya recommend?
GEAR:
Harmony H15 Bobkat
Fender MIJ '65 Reissue Mustang
Fender MIA 1987 Strat Plus
Mesa Express Plus 5:50
TC Electronic Hall Of Fame & FlashbackX4
Barber Direct Drive
Ibanez TS9 Reissue
EHX POG
Goosonique Blitzkrieg Boost
I, being an owner of a multi effects unit, who now is slowly slowly beginning to amass single pedals, would reccomend that you buy single pedals one by one. I especially agree with the point of trying different makes and models. And if you have single pedals, and you want to upgrade your, say, chorus, you wouldn't have to upgrade everything, just buy a new chorus pedal.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
The ME20 is garbage. If you're gonna buy a multi-fx processor, buy either an ME-50 or a vox tone lab. Honestly, though, you are much better off going with individual effects. It will be more expensive in the long run, but your tone will be 100x better, and your sound will be your own.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
What about Line 6 multi effects then?
GEAR:
Harmony H15 Bobkat
Barber Direct Drive
Ibanez TS9 Reissue
EHX POG
Quote by jonoh248
So what do ya recommend?

The ME-50 isn't bad, or the higher end Digitech models. I would say go with the multi effects for a good mix of fair effects. After that, start slowly gathering single pedals to compensate for the weak points in the multi-effects unit. If the chorus isn't very convincing, then buy a seperate chorus pedal. As you have money down the road, you can buy more single pedals, but for the moment, a multi-effect is good for a taste of everything.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
My POD has done me well, and got a lot of loving, and it allowed me to do CRAZY things WAY before I would have if I had ammassed single pedals, but I'm now going back to singles, or slowly trying. Just my experience.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
okay thanks guys
GEAR:
Harmony H15 Bobkat
Barber Direct Drive
Ibanez TS9 Reissue
EHX POG
I don't think any of it is going to be that great. Modeling amps don't take to multi's that well and pedals are only marginally better. Get an amp that will actually benefit first.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I don't think any of it is going to be that great. Modeling amps don't take to multi's that well and pedals are only marginally better. Get an amp that will actually benefit first.

yeah thats true. with my experience with zoom multi-fx pedals, i hated it. after i developed an ear for tone, i realized that multi-effect pedals ruin (drown) your tone. Even though it might have a lot of effects, buying single pedals are better in the long run.