Sometimes you see guitars with 3 humbucker like some early Gibsons and sometimes shred guitars. I've seen them on RGs aswell. My question is what is the advantage of having 3 humbuckers? Won't it sound muddy as hell if you had the neck and middle ones selected?
You have more tonal options with three humbux than with two. I personally never feel the need for a third pup on my guitar, though - I'm perfectly content with two of them. I also don't like the feel of them - the middle pup gets in the way of my picking.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
A middle humbucker is kind of useless.

There aren't any specific styles of music suited to it, and they look kind of dumb.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by pepsi1187
thats how i feel about stratocasters

i totally disagree

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

it gives you more options with your tone, especially if there 3 different types of humbuckers.
I personally think it only looks good wit ha white guitar, with gold hardware.
But yeah it would open up your sound possibilitys quite a bit

OH, and guitarcam,. you have a PM
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Sometimes you see guitars with 3 humbucker like some early Gibsons and sometimes shred guitars. I've seen them on RGs aswell. My question is what is the advantage of having 3 humbuckers? Won't it sound muddy as hell if you had the neck and middle ones selected?
on the 3HB Gibsons you can't select the neck and middle.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
not unless you got a 5 way switch Gibsons don't though.

MetalWarrior, you also have a PM

EDIT: lol my smilies are lined up (random)
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
on the 3HB Gibsons you can't select the neck and middle.

Sorry I kinda assumed that it worked the same as the pickup selection on a 3 single coil strat.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
Sorry I kinda assumed that it worked the same as the pickup selection on a 3 single coil strat.
if only it did. that would be really sweet.

as it is, on the 3 pickup Gibsons, you get:
Bridge
Bridge & Middle
Neck

If it had a 5-way, like on a Strat, you could do a bit of re-wiring and get:
Middle
Middle & Bridge
Bridge
Bridge & Neck
Neck

and imho, that would be an awesome palette to work from.
Middle & Bridge is a really nice tone, but Neck & Bridge has a far different character. i think it's a loss to give that away. and the middle alone is just too friggin sweet to not have.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I'd say two humbucker's and a single coil pickup, like a strat one, would be the best combo.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
I play an Ibanez RG350DX. H-S-H. I don't even use the single-coil. I bought it because of how awesome it looks.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
if only it did. that would be really sweet.

as it is, on the 3 pickup Gibsons, you get:
Bridge
Bridge & Middle
Neck

If it had a 5-way, like on a Strat, you could do a bit of re-wiring and get:
Middle
Middle & Bridge
Bridge
Bridge & Neck
Neck

and imho, that would be an awesome palette to work from.
Middle & Bridge is a really nice tone, but Neck & Bridge has a far different character. i think it's a loss to give that away. and the middle alone is just too friggin sweet to not have.

All you'd have to do then is take out the Gibson 3 point switch and pop in a 5 way? Surprised more haven't done it.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
All you'd have to do then is take out the Gibson 3 point switch and pop in a 5 way? Surprised more haven't done it.
much tougher than it sounds.

the Gibson 3-way fits in a 1/2" diameter Round hole. The 5-way mounts with 2 small screws and the lever goes through the body or pickguard via a long narrow slot. you'd need to make a slot, add two small holes, fashion some sort of trimplate to cover the hole, and increase the size of the cavity for the switch. (the 5-way takes up more space in the long axis, than a Gibson 3-way)

Switch for Les Paul w/3 pickups:

Fender 5-way switch:

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Doesn't Gibson make a Six-way knob now? I could have sworn that they used one on the new SG-3...
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
Quote by fret_it_fast
Doesn't Gibson make a Six-way knob now? I could have sworn that they used one on the new SG-3...

Yeah I think so.

This is from what I found from Gibson's website about it:

"The SG3 pushes the power, sustain, and tonal range of Gibson's legendary SG into new sonic dimensions. Equipped with a radical 6-way pickup switch and three gold-plated Gibson humbuckers-a pair of '57 Classics in the neck and middle positions, and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position-the SG3 goes where no SG has gone before. Sporting a chicken-head knob, Gibson's exclusive rotary selector offers six pickup settings: bridge, bridge/middle, middle, middle/neck, neck, and bridge/neck. Combining unrivaled playability with an extraordinary spectrum of sweet yet scorching humbucker tones, the SG3 is the perfect guitar for rock, metal, and blues guitarists. "

But most of their 3 pickup geetas don't have the 6-way selector, I think.
Saint Louis Blues
If you had a 3 pickup gibson, it seems like the easiest solution would be to just add a switch to turn one of the pickups on/off, then use the other two with the 3-way.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
much tougher than it sounds.

the Gibson 3-way fits in a 1/2" diameter Round hole. The 5-way mounts with 2 small screws and the lever goes through the body or pickguard via a long narrow slot. you'd need to make a slot, add two small holes, fashion some sort of trimplate to cover the hole, and increase the size of the cavity for the switch. (the 5-way takes up more space in the long axis, than a Gibson 3-way)

Couldn't you just use a 5 way rotary switch?
Quote by C/ruel
If you had a 3 pickup gibson, it seems like the easiest solution would be to just add a switch to turn one of the pickups on/off, then use the other two with the 3-way.
the 3rd pickup would have to be connected to the circuit via a 3-way switch, else it would ONLY be able to be used in combination with one or both of the others. it would not be available alone.

Quote by Hadalet
Couldn't you just use a 5 way rotary switch?
yes, but you run into 3 problems:

1 - the rotary switch will almost certainly have a 3/8" bushing. proper washers and a spacer to take up the "slop" in the hole, will be needed. this is an easy fix.

2 - the rotary switch will take more space in the control cavity. you might be able to find one that will fit, but there is a strong possibility, you would need to route the cavity larger. routing and making a new cover for the control cavity is not an easy fix.

3 - rotary switches are less convenient to use than a lever switch. selecting a knob with the best size to make it easy to operate will make it more convenient than it is, but it will always be less convenient than a lever (imho). this is a problem without a solution.

but yeah, it would work.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411