Ok so i live in a very small town. I work in a feed store here and the local farmers come and sit and talk all the time. So the other day it was really slow and there were a couple of people sitting there. I had my old Boss DS-1 sitting on the counter, because i was replacing the input. So anyway one of the farmers asked me what it was, and i told him a distortion pedal. He looked at me and asked "Whats that?". I realized i had no idea how to describe it to him.

So thats my question to you. How would you describe distortion?
Remember these are farmer. They never listen to anything but country music. NEVER!
1990 Gibson SG Special Black
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Standard Telecaster Chrome Red
Randall RX120RH On RX412 SOLD!!
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Electro Harmonics Metal Muff
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
Play them some clean, then distorted licks. Also, if you can play their favorite songs, you might get paid to play ****ty music!
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Free bird is good. But i really dont have the chance to play in the store. I just get extra time to fix a few things. i think my boss might fire me if i turned an amp on. lol.
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
I guess it's really hard to explain distortion... maybe point them in the direction of a clean acoustic guitar, then cite any blues musician who puts a little bit of grit on their signal?

How do you feel about that Randall RX120? Big "practice" amp? Or a nice stack?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Simple explanation: distortion is a continuous break up in the sound such like adding a rattle or a buzz to the guitar's tone.

Crappy Attempt at a Redneck Accent Explanation: it gon' soun' mo' purdy as ya' turn 'dat 'dere volume up an' it stars' 'ta git 'da sound to start a janglin'.
unless they really are depressingly narrow minded they are sure to have heard some kind of rock music at some point, like on the radio. Just tell them it gives the guitar a rough crunched up sound which works well for rock music.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Simple explanation: distortion is a continuous break up in the sound such like adding a rattle or a buzz to the guitar's tone.

Crappy Attempt at a Redneck Accent Explanation: it gon' soun' mo' purdy as ya' turn 'dat 'dere volume up an' it stars' 'ta git 'da sound to start a janglin'.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahaha
just tell them it gives you that rock n roll sound

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
tell them it gives your guitar a crunchy sound
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Explain to them that a clean signal is an almost perfect sine wave and distortion is the clipping of the tops and bottoms of the waves making them flatter. Blues music generally has a very small amount of clipping and the waves aren't flattened as much, in heavy metal the waves are gonnna be almost perfectly flat on the top from all the clipping.

Wait, you said farmers, damn.

Show them these pictures:

Clean:

Distorted:
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Nov 22, 2008,
Yes unfortunately they are very narrow minded and i doubt they even know sound travels in waves. But the redneck translation is probably the best choice. Thats how bad it is. Im gonna try the acoustic guitar explanation first. They should get it.

For the guy who asked about my amp. Ye pretty much a big practice amp. It can get good tone but i almost alway find myself using my fender. It just sound cleaner.
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
"It adds dirt to the sound"

Simple. Right to the point.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo