The Lookouts were a band that doesn't get enough recognition for the place they hold in punk rock history. They formed in 1985 in the hills of California, when 30-something-year-old Larry Livermore (guitar, vocals) started jamming with 12-year-old Tre Cool (drums, vocals) and 14-year-old Kain Kong (bass).

The most notable contribution the Lookouts had to the Bay Area scene was the founding of Lookout Records, which was essentially just a way to release the first Lookouts record. More bands followed, and the rest is history. Tre Cool also went on to play drums in a band called Green Day, which achieved mild mainstream success.

Early Lookouts stuff sounds like a pop punk band that's trying really hard to be the Dead Kennedys. They later matured into more of a melodic sound with rock and roll influences. Livermore, in his blog, attributes this to an inspiring performance by Sweet Baby that changed his views of what punk could sound like.

Unfortunately, the Lookouts' catalog has long been out of print (I don't know if it's ever been out on CD), but you can find some great songs on this page:

http://www.myspace.com/thelookouts

Lookout Records is really bad about keeping old albums in print, you can't find any of their good stuff from the 80s or early 90s anymore.

Also, check out their song "Outside" from the 1987 compilation The Thing That Ate Floyd, which also features songs by Crimpshrine, Operation Ivy, Sweet Baby, and the Mr. T Experience.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Green.....Day???

Should I know them?

But seriously, the Lookouts are pretty good.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I thought I left a comment. Hmmm...

I liked the 1st song, but couldn't really see the DK influence in them at all.
Fun fact: "Living Behind Bars" is about visiting friend Jesse Michaels (Op Ivy) who lived in a ****ty neighborhood where everybody's house except Jesse's had jailhouse-style bars over the windows.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I used to love them. I had almost all of their songs, I think. My band used to cover one of their songs.

They kind of wore off on me though...
DOWN&OUT
^ I would not want you to send me everything you have. Please don't.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
This is an excellent band. Unfortunately their music was relatively hard to find. For a long time, all I had was the stuff Jett sent me, but I just found this.

http://thelookouts.org/downloads/

Pretty cool. More complete and better vinyl-digital conversion quality.
The Lookouts are awesome, and the post above me is the best post I've seen in this forum in a loooong time.
Holy shit. That's crazy! Good find man. I haven't listened to them in forever. This find might not change that, but man, 14 year old me would be having a brain aneurism at this.

Fun fact: my first band did a bitching cover of Outside. It's the only recording we did I can still stomach, haha.
DOWN&OUT