lets say im using my volume knob to go from cleans to dirt on my amp

what pedal could i use to keep myself in the mix? the volume drops significantly with my guitar on like 4 as opposed to 10

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

The volume knob is useful for going from less gain to more gain, but you'll have trouble trying to go all the way from clean to distorted unless you're looking for just a light crunch. Just use your amp's footswitch to go from clean to dirty. If you don't have one you can buy an overdrive/distortion pedal.

You see, what you're talking about in your post won't work. A clean boost pedal in your signal path would bring your volume level back up to where it was before your volume knob turned it down , causing just as much ovedrive in your preamp.
Quote by timzee117
lets say im using my volume knob to go from cleans to dirt on my amp

what pedal could i use to keep myself in the mix? the volume drops significantly with my guitar on like 4 as opposed to 10

So you're turning down the volume on your guitar.... and your volume.... drops

I'm not TOO familiar with this, but would it help if you put some kind of boost in your loop (if you have one) after the preamp stage so that you get the clean of the low input, and then amplify that cleaner sound further with a boost?
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by echo_4190
I'm not TOO familiar with this, but would it help if you put some kind of boost in your loop (if you have one) after the preamp stage so that you get the clean of the low input, and then amplify that cleaner sound further with a boost?

Good point... run like an EQ or over drive pedal with a level/volume in the FX Loop and just use it as a volume boost?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
you cant, if you want it to be quieter, you'll have to do it at the amp, if you want less gain by turning your guitar down, then you have to deal with the volume drop.

tell your band to quiet down when you do, have some dynamic range, its not a bad thing to have quiet passages and loud passages in a song, its actually pleasing to the human ear to have that variation.
im a blues man, but a good man, understand?
Quote by echo_4190

+1 that would work too. Some loops have this built in (effects send level) I use a patch cable in my loop with the send level cranked to get a clean boost.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Good point... run like an EQ or over drive pedal with a level/volume in the FX Loop and just use it as a volume boost?

Yeah, You'd think it would work, at least kind of anyway. In most of the instances when I use my knob to clean my tone up I'm doing it in really quiet sections where I want to strum hard and hear a little breakup every once and a while, so I've never tried it, but I suppose I could right now and see how it works.

/edit

Good call on bridging it with a patch cable, if the amp has a loop, cause if it does, provided its foot switchable and has a send level, there wouldn't even be a need to stick a pedal in there.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Last edited by echo_4190 at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by echo_4190
Yeah, You'd think it would work, at least kind of anyway. In most of the instances when I use my knob to clean my tone up I'm doing it in really quiet sections where I want to strum hard and hear a little breakup every once and a while, so I've never tried it, but I suppose I could right now and see how it works.

Yeah I would think it's an "on paper" type idea. Get back to me if that works, if so I finally had my first good idea!
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Yeah I would think it's an "on paper" type idea. Get back to me if that works, if so I finally had my first good idea!

Like a charm. I just put a clean boost stomp on my Pod, and I could roll my volume down to clean and then stomp it back up to full. Though, if I had a second footswitch for my effects loop, I could see that being even more practical, because then there's no way a pedal could colour the tone if its just the amp that's doing the boosting.

So there's your answer, you can either use a pedal in your effects loop to boost it back up, or if you don't have anything in your loop, bridge the loop with a patch cord, and turn the effects send up enough to compensate for your volume change, and then just turn the loop on when you need the boost.
Yeah I figured it'd work. Since gain/overdrive is at the preamp level, and since the FX loop is after the preamp then a volume boost should just strengthen the signal from the preamp.

Glad to hear it worked as intended.
Quote by sargasm