Hey guys.

Just wondered if anyone out there had any experience with the following?

I'm getting a 6.3mm to 3.5mm cable converter today so that I can record my electric & my (electro) acoustic guitars, along with a keyboard, directly onto my CPU.

I've always record straight to 'mic' in the past and I'm curious as to whether I'll have any problems going direct & also what sound quality should I expect (i know this is partly dependant on my soundcard)?..

Any thoughts, experience or ideas would be great.

Thanks
Lol @ use of CPU, but anyway, you shouldn't have any troubles, but it might sound a bit digital, and the tone might be different.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
That's confused me slightly.

So my set up is...

Electric guitar - into effects pedal - into amp (amp has recording output channel) and then into the mic-in port on my pc....

How will I not get the same tone that my amp is producing?

Thanks
you wont get the same tone that the amp produces because a lot of that tone is a product of the speakers in the amp. The signal you get from the out of the amp is just a pure amplified signal of the guitar, which will sound very "sterile". also you will have to adjust the volume a bit because the amp's output signal will range from overdriving the computers mic-in to being barely picked up.
Quote by Jread
you wont get the same tone that the amp produces because a lot of that tone is a product of the speakers in the amp. The signal you get from the out of the amp is just a pure amplified signal of the guitar, which will sound very "sterile". also you will have to adjust the volume a bit because the amp's output signal will range from overdriving the computers mic-in to being barely picked up.

Thanks dude. That makes perfect sense now!

So then, what're my options?

I often see, at gigs, Mics pressed up against the amps and that's how I do it at home. but my chain of thought was illiminating all background noise etc and getting the sound as clean as possible. Is it really only possible to acheive this perfect sound from within a studio?

How do the Pro's do it? would they have a amp produce the sound, and then capture that sound through a mic set-up?

Just curious..
Sorry for my slackass explaination before.
But it really depends, in studio some pros record their amps with a mic, others use the line out, and then change the signal... I prefer using a mic, gets a true tone. But it really depends on if you don't mind the tone given from just line out, if you don't, you'll just need a good mic and a quiet room.

yeah, just get somone else to explain it, I suck at explaining things.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa

yeah, just get somone else to explain it, I suck at explaining things.

Hey no problem man, I appreciate any help!

Hopefully my Electro' Acoustic will sound good through it though, as I'm hoping that it'll just plug straight in and produce a nice tone... Hopefully. lol

As regards the Mic... are there any you could recommend? The one I have is quite old and I'll like to replace that also to try and get this quality up!

Thanks
Shure SM57 is really good from what I'm told, I use a EV Cobalt Co7 and I'm really happy with the tone, and I'm sure if I had a better cable/sound card I'd get next to no noise (I basically have none now, only the noise my amp produces, which is a fair bit) I don't have many recordings online, most of my recordings are my songs, and I'm not ready to share yet, but I have one for pinch harmonics for my playing skills.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Shure Sm57 Or 58
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt