Hey guys.

The Xiphos comes with Dimarzio D-Activators, which aren't really all that great. The neck pickup sounds pretty okay, but the bridge pickup is kind of muddy.

So I want something with more clarity, something that's tighter. I have an Ibanez RG550 with Evolutions in it, and it sounds great, but that guitar has a basswood body. How are the Evolutions going to sound in the Xiphos, which has a mahogany body, compared to the RG?
Guitarist and composer of the band SHADOWMIND. Check it out:

Bandcamp
Facebook
I've had the JB in another guitar before, and it was horrible. Too trebly and harsh IMO.

Maybe I should add that I play mostly technical death metal, which is why I need maximum clarity for those nasty riffs and solos.

Bandcamp
Facebook
What amp are you using, I've never used D-Activators but I'd never imagined them as being muddy - also how close to the strings are they?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ENGL Powerball. I've messed around with the pickup height a lot, but it doesn't get good enough no matter how I adjust it.

Bandcamp
Facebook
what are your EQ settings?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
My EQ is pretty much constantly changing, and no, I don't scoop my mids.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Quote by Dores
ENGL Powerball. I've messed around with the pickup height a lot, but it doesn't get good enough no matter how I adjust it.

Could be that it's time to look elsewhere, maybe splash out on a Bare Knuckle Miracle Man - it'll definitely do what you want.

I can't think of anything other than an Evo that should be tighter than the D-Activator on paper, except perhaps the D-Sonic. It could be that you simply don't need anything that hot given the amount of amp gain you have on tap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Dores
I've had the JB in another guitar before, and it was horrible. Too trebly and harsh IMO.

Maybe I should add that I play mostly technical death metal, which is why I need maximum clarity for those nasty riffs and solos.

I don't know what type of Death Metal you're playing but I think the guy from Necrophagist has an Xiphos with some EMG's. I don't know if EMG suits Death Metal or not I'm more into Thrash Metal and what not.
Dimarzio tonezones have great clarity
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial