Right, so I'm going to get a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb humbucker installed in my guitar (a pacifica 112). Does anyone know whether I should get the long (1/2") or short (1/4") leg baseplate on the pickup?
I'd rather not open it up myself and check, due to a tendency for clumsiness on my part.

Thanks.

(Damn, the title might be off a bit, yeah, I'm not quite sure exactly what it means, either, I think it's based on the depth of the pickup routing in the guitar, and thats about all I know)
Last edited by Archdoom at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by Archdoom
Right, so I'm going to get a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb humbucker installed in my guitar (a pacifica 112). Does anyone know whether I should get the long (1/2") or short (1/4") leg baseplate on the pickup?
I'd rather not open it up myself and check, due to a tendency for clumsiness on my part.

Thanks.

(Damn, the title might be off a bit, yeah, I'm not quite sure exactly what it means, either, I think it's based on the depth of the pickup routing in the guitar, and thats about all I know)

So how do you expect to install, this new PUP?

Surely, it would be best to actually do a practice run first?

Besides, it's a piece of pi$$ to do. Just take the strings off, undo all the OUTSIDE screws around the pick guard and lift the whole lot up, flip it over.

There will still be wires going to the output jack, so don't yank them out.

I would think, the shorter legs would be appropriate, for confinement in the rout.
Note the tendency for clumsiness.
I'm getting it installed by a shop, because I am useless with a soldering iron (I've got one, but I don't have a solder-sucking-up thing.)
I know everyone says don't do that, but seriously, I'd just screw it up or something, and the guitar needs a service anyway, so I figure I might as well.
Also, I can't get the damn vol/tone knobs, and the selector knob thing off, otherwise I would've taken a look (tried most of the tips on that, but with my penchant for breaking things, I didn't want to push it too far...)

But if you say short legs are what I should get, then I'll get them.

Ah, I just noticed my double capitalisation in the thread title. That makes me look great, hahaha.

But yeah, go the short legs then?
To get knobs off, slip a duster etc under and around, then pull up and jiggle it a bit, then pull knob off.

Set them to max first so you know where they line up.
I'm really looking for anyone who has replaced a pickup/knows the answer, I've already accidentally screwed up the pickup height on one of my single coils, and I'm not willing to de-string and re-string my guitar, seeing as just I did that last week. Thanks for the help, but it isn't really what I'm after.
Last edited by Archdoom at Nov 22, 2008,
Have you tried actually emailing BKP and asking them? They're the experts on their pickups so there should be no chance of getting the wrong ones.

I can understand you not wanting to damage your guitar but until you pluck up the courage to give it a go you'll always be paying way over the odds to get things like this done. Just buy a cheap de-solderer and practice on something other than the guitar then open it up and see if you'd be confident doing it.

In all honesty it's not rocket science, it's cheaper and you may actually enjoy it!
No, the thing is I am hopeless with anything practical. But yeah, I didn't think of emailing them, so thanks. I've done soldering before, it goes horribly wrong every time. Similar to what happens when you put a screwdriver in my hands.
I'm okay with paying too much if it gets done, without me screwing everything up, but anyway, it needs a good service (better than I am currently able to give) anyway, and apparently the price isn't anything much over a normal service, so I figure I can kill two birds with one stone here anyway.

Thanks.

(P.S. I did soldering a few of years ago in early high school... I failed Applied Technology (woodshop, electronics, etc), I have really bad motor skills, and such (yet I still play guitar... don't know how, it's more like typing, I suppose), and yeah, does not do me well one bit. I'll have a look though, I've got some kits around here somewhere, maybe I'll consider it.
Last edited by Archdoom at Nov 23, 2008,
Think of it this way Archdoom, when you started playing guitar you sucked right? Everyone does, we only get better with practice. Same with soldering, same with everything!

Back on topic though, have you tried posting this question in the bareknuckle forums?
Actually, I haven't been playing for that great a time, I still suck a bit.

But yeah, I know, I'll give it a look at, because I have some electronics kits I could practice on, and it would make the process a whole lot easier.

Thanks very much.
why do you want a new pickup?
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Point of me getting the guitar, I'm decent enough, and the current one isn't giving me what I need. I've tried it through a few amps, it's decent... just not quite what I'm after.
Quote by Archdoom
I've already accidentally screwed up the pickup height on one of my single coils

:O

oh no!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Eh, I think I can fix that up, tomorrow.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, nice avatar there.