Alright, so I have a Mexican Fender stratocaster I've been considering putting new pickups in. It seems like a good idea to me, and pretty much everyone tells me to, but at the same time, my guitar teacher, who, considering he has a couple decades of playing experience, I trust the ear and guitar market advice of, says that since I bought it for $220, I shouldn't spend basically the same amount to get a good tone out of it when I may sell it in the future(I don't intend to though; I can't exactly afford to take the loss that comes with selling something that's value deflates so rapidly like a non-vintage guitar), and he says it sounds good, though I get a feeling he may be saying that to make me feel good.

Anyway, in short, do I listen to my guitar teacher, who's been playing since the 60's, and leave it stock, or do I listen to pretty much everyone else and pop a set of Tex Mex pickups in?

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
Mexi pick-ups suck so its a yes change em from me. If you do want to sell it you can always take them out again and put the stock ones back in so its no real loss.
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
While it will improve your tone, essentially you still have that $200 guitar. It's like when you see someone running and you yell at them, "Running doesn't help your face!" Sure you might feel like its making a huge drastic improvement,, but you're still ugly.
not with a frontman 25

you'll probably like the stock pups much more with a new tube amp
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
there are a couple of things here:

- MIM pickups aren't that great.

- however, with your amp, you'd be better putting the money towards a new amp

- i wouldn't buy fender pickups in the UK, they're really dear. you could get swinesheads, rockmonkeys, etc. etc. for much less money, which will be much nicer. EDIT: ****, your location confused me. disregard this one.

- if you ever do upgrade the pickups, there's nothing to prevent you from keeping the old MIM pickups to refit if you ever sell the guitar.

so, er, yeah.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by forsaknazrael
I would keep your money and get a new amp in the future. Pickups won't do squat for you now.

Don't listen to rokket2005. MIM Fenders are great guitars.

I never explicitly said that MIM aren't good guitars. I have 2 MIM strats and I love them. I was saying that just because you put high end pickups in a guitar doesnt make the guitar a high end instrument.
Quote by rokket2005
I never explicitly said that MIM aren't good guitars. I have 2 MIM strats and I love them. I was saying that just because you put high end pickups in a guitar doesnt make the guitar a high end instrument.

What, then makes a MIM Fender of equal quality as an MIA Fender? Truth be told, they're both made by Mexicans.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What, then makes a MIM Fender of equal quality as an MIA Fender? Truth be told, they're both made by Mexicans.

The wadge the mexicans make for making them, and the locale in which the mexicans reside. :P
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
^

yep yep. always depends on the guitar. my '96 MIM is my fav guitar by far.

and TS + whatever, on getting a new amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I actually finally replaced my Solid-state amp with a tube amp this morning, as I expected to, hence the topic. But yeah, they sound a lot better now, but there's still definite room for improvement via new pickups.

Quote by necrosis1193
I actually finally replaced my Solid-state amp with a tube amp this morning, as I expected to, hence the topic. But yeah, they sound a lot better now, but there's still definite room for improvement via new pickups.

Cool. How much did you get the Blues Junior for?

Why don'y you play your new setup for a while, come back to this thread in two weeks, get to know "your tone" and let us know what you think your rig needs for a little more oomph.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Cool. How much did you get the Blues Junior for?

Why don'y you play your new setup for a while, come back to this thread in two weeks, get to know "your tone" and let us know what you think your rig needs for a little more oomph.

$450; $20 off for being a floor model, $10 off to beat another stores price.

Hmm...good point. Alright then, suppose I'll do that.

yeah, wait a little while. now you have a nice amp, better pickups would help, but there's no point in rushing into it.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Mm...I don't really think it's all that different, sir. We had a UGer who worked in a SoCal Fender factory.
The whole setup didn't ooze "master luthiers" to me, and that's the point I'm getting at.

austin's gonna kick your ass...

Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

MIM pickups suck. Get some Duncan Antiquities or Fralin Vintage Hots. Spend the money. Your $300 guitar will sound just as good as guitars costing over $1k. It will not play as well but it will sound killer.
I spent $60 for GFS 70's Greybottom overwounds for my MIM. Great bang for the buck, they are the one GFS pickup that can hang with brand name pickups
Quote by forsaknazrael

that was by no means a cheap shop at him, hahaha. I meant that from what I had learned from him, anyone outside of their custom shop wasn't really some magical luthier who hand carved Strats from alder blanks.

i know, i was just kidding.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

^ohhh, i'm tellin

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

to clear the misconception, his guitar teacher is right. TS should keep the stock pickups. IF he was still in the 60s.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard