hey, im doing a music tech course and one of the assignments is to ake a home recording PC, anyone mind throwing me a couple ideas on how to go about it? cheers

EDIT

sorry didnt state that this is an assigment and i only have to spec parts and find the cost, but we have to make the machine efficient enough to run.
Last edited by torque352 at Nov 23, 2008,
Huge amounts of RAM and Hard disk space and a bloody good sound system are a good start, might also want to invest in some MIDI interface and maybe a built in sound interface of some kind.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
decent Mobo, fast-ish processor (say 2+ ghz dual core or better), 3GB RAM, basic video card, an older Nvidia would do you, and, of course, bitchin sound card and audio interface. PSU, get ~600W so you've got plenty headroom.

edit: Obv things like case and HD are a given. You can get a 1TB HD for <£100 these days.
I'm doing a BTEC music course but, Their not actually asking you to make a PC are they :| As thats like bloody expencive, you just need to spec one out?
Go to...

www.hexus.net

They will help you. Lots. Go to their community forum. If this is advertising then I appologise, I am not part of the site but it would help the TS out greatly. Also go to some sound engineering forums and ask them too.
All my recordings in my profile were done on this computer.

2.5gb RAM
1.61 GHz
80gb Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro sound card
Cubase SX3 software

That's pretty much it apart from other software.
I did a btech in music technology five years ago, we werent asked to do any recordings from home- our college had the equipment. Its a little unfair if theyre expecting you to actually fork out for equipment at home when they should be supplying it...
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
cheers lads that helps,we dont actually have to build it lol its just and assignment, like to spec it out, sorry what do you mean by Mobo?
Quote by AceOfBlades
depending how cheap you are:
*1/4 to 1/8 adapter*

That's what I use
And a dmeo version of fruitloops
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Why do you have to make a PC? That ain't on the syllabus I don't think. Can't you just use a Mac at college like I do?

If you wanna be able to do home recordings then look into this: http://www.stealthplug.com/Main.php?prod-SP.php
Windows® Minimal: Pentium 1GHz / Athlon XP 1.33 GHz, 512 MB of RAM, Windows XP / Vista or later. Suggested: Pentium 2.4 GHz / Athlon XP 2.4 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, Windows XP / Vista or later.

You can get it cheaper. I use this for all of my home recordings. If you wanna check the quality check the songs on my profile.
NOPE.
Last edited by charvel_man at Nov 23, 2008,