Hi all. I think i'm having a bit of a problem. I'm a beginner guitarist (i've been playing a few months) and don't know if this is actually a problem or not.

But anyway, when unplugged, if i pick my B string, it sounds kind of weird...it still rings out the open string, but also makes the guitar vibrate and kind of makes a "woody" sound. It's kind of hard to explain.

I was thinking it may need a new set of strings or that they may be a bit loose or something?

Hope someone can understand what the hell i'm talking about :P

Cheers
i dont think your string was put on properly...it's a harmonic that is ringing out with the open note...

i had it happen to me on the g string when i'd pluck the fourth fret.
yo.

I BELIEVE
It just sounds like its not been put opn properly, but if its not a problem when your playing through an amp id leave it a while and then get some new strings whenyou really need em.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
is it when its plucked open or fretted? loose fret maybe?

loose/broken nut?

or is it threaded thru the bridge properly?
My gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard HCB
Vox DA5 Amp

My wishlist:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Santana Yellow or Blue Matteo

Vox 30w Valvetronix
Quote by Romp
is it when its plucked open or fretted? loose fret maybe?

loose/broken nut?

or is it threaded thru the bridge properly?

Played open. Thanks for help so far guys. Any more is appreciated. Nah the nut is ok and it seems to be on the bridge properly...i can try get a pic of the bridge if needed?

I only got the guitar from the shop the other day like
then return it
say you want it fixed or your money back
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
May be a good idea. I might ask the opinion of another guitar shop nearby...then again, i should probably just go straight to where i got it. It kind of like...echos the woody sound when picked open.

EDIT - Bit of an update...i just randomly tightened the string by just tuning it up higher than it is and it makes it less/dissapear, and when i lower the tuning on other strings they do it then too. So i can only assume it must be that the strings are not on properly/tight enough? I'll re-string it in about an hour and see how it goes. If it doesn't sort it then i'll drop it back off to the shop because i'm not going to carry on playing with my B string tuned to like E or higher haha.
Last edited by Griffo01 at Nov 22, 2008,
What guitar have you got?

This happened to my Les Paul when I accidentally lowered the action by readjusting the bridge...
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
What guitar have you got?

This happened to my Les Paul when I accidentally lowered the action by readjusting the bridge...

Fender '52 Hot Rod Telecaster. I haven't messed with anything like the bridge
Quote by Griffo01
Fender '52 Hot Rod Telecaster. I haven't messed with anything like the bridge

Have you used any different strings?
Or maybe you've not restrung it properly.
Well if you've only been playing for 3 months the guitar's still got his warranty (assuming that you got it 3 months ago).
Just take it back and tell them to reset it.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Griffo01
Played open. Thanks for help so far guys. Any more is appreciated. Nah the nut is ok and it seems to be on the bridge properly...i can try get a pic of the bridge if needed?

I only got the guitar from the shop the other day like

If it only does it open and not fretted then the problem lies with the nut and not the bridge. When you fret you take the nut out of the picture of course. So if it does it open only then your problem is at the nut.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Griffo01
May be a good idea. I might ask the opinion of another guitar shop nearby...then again, i should probably just go straight to where i got it. It kind of like...echos the woody sound when picked open.

EDIT - Bit of an update...i just randomly tightened the string by just tuning it up higher than it is and it makes it less/dissapear, and when i lower the tuning on other strings they do it then too. So i can only assume it must be that the strings are not on properly/tight enough? I'll re-string it in about an hour and see how it goes. If it doesn't sort it then i'll drop it back off to the shop because i'm not going to carry on playing with my B string tuned to like E or higher haha.

Wow. Just...wow. First off, how is it that you think the strings aren't tight enough if it's in tune? Meaning that it's tuned to standard EADGBe. If it's in tune, the strings are "tight enough". How can they not be?
Secondly, what I think you are witnessing is a normal occurance with all guitars(well, all stringed instruments actually, even piano's). That being natural harmonics. Get the guitar all in tune and pluck different strings while touching other strings, and you'll notice that some of the strings that you didn't pluck are vibrating. It happens the most between the two E's of course, but the B string will also make the A string vibrate. Check to see if this is happening, and if it is, then don't sweat it, it's normal.
Eliminate the basics first. Also doing a bit of research and learning what guitars do and how they do it won't hurt either.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Nov 23, 2008,