So i got 'a calling' if you will to get a block of wood and start making a guitar... I asked a friend who'd all ready made a guitar at school as a project and he said it was pretty dam hard to do and ended up paying +1k...

Is it truely really that hard to build a guitar and how much would it cost? I was hoping to make a tele or a strat sorta guitar with pretty decent gear whacked into it....
it all depends really

if you use expensive wood, then yeah, it can get expensive. if you're after a strat or tele shape then look on ebay, you can find plenty of bodies on there, then you just need to get a neck.

if you're on tight budget its probably the best way to go.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Root beer

Amp:
Randall RG75G3
Marshall 1960 2x12 cab

Pedals:
Crybaby From Hell
Behringer Chromatic Tuner
Boss Acoustic Simulator
Its probably harder than you think, at least doing it all from scratch properly, getting the design right, the neck taper, the angle of the neck pocket, and it can also get very expensive.

but its only as hard as you make it, e.g you can get entire strat templates online, meaning you can just get some wood, templates and a router with a template follower bit an knock up most of the strat shape in an afternoon, then all you have to do is shape the contours, neck, drill some holes, install hardware and wire it up.

At the other end of the spectrum is acoustics and hollow body guitars that are carved inside and out, multiscales, and the complications that go with these designs.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by allah666
Is it truely really that hard to build a guitar
how hard is "that hard"? if you're patient and industrious, it probably won't seem hard. if you're lazy and impatient, it will be nearly impossible.

Quote by allah666
and how much would it cost?
Why ask? Figure it out for yourself. Make a list of all the hardware you need. Price it and add up the total. Then add the cost of the wood and any special tools you'll need to buy.

True, you might not know everything you'll need. But YOU have to be the one to start, here. Make a list, then we can look it over to see anything you might have missed. If making that list seems too much bother, i'd reconsider making a guitar.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by allah666
So i got 'a calling' if you will to get a block of wood and start making a guitar... I asked a friend who'd all ready made a guitar at school as a project and he said it was pretty dam hard to do and ended up paying +1k...

Is it truely really that hard to build a guitar and how much would it cost? I was hoping to make a tele or a strat sorta guitar with pretty decent gear whacked into it....

*please note I've never actually made a guitar either, so my oppinion is probably worthless anyway*

there's no way it should cost you 1000 quid, Unless you want to make a guitar that's really equivelent to like, a really expensive guitar (like a gibson custom shop or something) - I think It's not a good idea on your 1st build, Cos you'll end up with all these expensive, top quality parts in a prob. terrible quiality build.

It's obviously not impossible to build a guitar - Lots of poeple have done it. you'll need alot of patience and hard work. also, read up as much as you can before you start, any proir knowledge of woodwork, electronics etc. (although the electronics inside a guitar are pretty rudementary) will also help alot.

how much do you know about guitars and that? I mean could you, like, take a starter guitar apart and put it back together? - i'd recomend doing this before you start your 1st build.
if you have any prior woodworking experience, or something that will help you that does, then as long as you take your time you shouldn't have a problem getting a high quality build out of even your first guitar. Your second guitar will be much, much better, but still.

Spending 1k on a guitar build isn't unrealistic, though I'd say you could probably do it for half that if you had the resources.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"