Ok so recently I've been seriously looking into get a Marshall JVM 50 watt head and selling my Carvin V3. I should be playing some shows pretty soon with my band and I really just don't think the V3 is right for our style of music.(Modern Punk think, Lagwagon, No Use For a Name, Rise Against, Nofx, Propgandhi). So first off I was wondering how much the 50 watt head would cost used? and then what the difference is between the 50 watt and 100 watt? It looks like the 100 watt has an extra OD channel. Whats the difference between the 2 and which one is on the 50 watt version? Anything else I should know? All replys appreciated.
Just going to throw this out early - you have a very versatile amp already. The JVM isn't going to be a GREAT deal better and it's really overpriced.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I dislike the JVM quite a bit. It's sterile, lifeless and just boring sounding imo.

I think you'd be better off getting a DSL and putting some nice tubes in it. Will cost less, and sound better imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
What about a Jcm 900 I always hear the 2000 arent very good? I played a 2000 a few years ago and didnt like it but I didnt really know how to eq things back then......
I loved the JVM when I played it, awesome cleans, crunch and heavy tones.

Also a guy a HC has sold his Splawn because he likes the JVM more than it.

You want to sell this? Why?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Its just really not the tone I'm looking for its fizzy, and really dark and bassy I need something less fizzy and that cuts through better....
Have you tried messing with the EQ extensively? It looks like theres a lot of stuff you could fiddle with to get good tone out of it.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by Osiris77
Ok so recently I've been seriously looking into get a Marshall JVM 50 watt head and selling my Carvin V3. I should be playing some shows pretty soon with my band and I really just don't think the V3 is right for our style of music.(Modern Punk think, Lagwagon, No Use For a Name, Rise Against, Nofx, Propgandhi). So first off I was wondering how much the 50 watt head would cost used? and then what the difference is between the 50 watt and 100 watt? It looks like the 100 watt has an extra OD channel. Whats the difference between the 2 and which one is on the 50 watt version? Anything else I should know? All replys appreciated.

What do you feel is lacking about the V3? It can pump out a pretty good Marshall-y tone..
Quote by forsaknazrael
What do you feel is lacking about the V3? It can pump out a pretty good Marshall-y tone..

Yeah I've tried alot with the eq its not like I think the amp sucks I just think there not for me and a bit overated. I always hear people saying that you don't need to spend the money to get a great tone you can do it for cheap. But I really am starting to believe that all those pros who endorse marshall arent just doing it for the money there really just is no substute for the real deal....
Quote by Osiris77
Yeah I've tried alot with the eq its not like I think the amp sucks I just think there not for me and a bit overated. I always hear people saying that you don't need to spend the money to get a great tone you can do it for cheap. But I really am starting to believe that all those pros who endorse marshall arent just doing it for the money there really just is no substute for the real deal....

See, I've finally stopped believing that. Until not that long ago, I thought a new marshall JVM2000 HAD to be the best cause it was Marshalls Flagship amp, and marshall is marshall, but really, the guys that use marshalls, a lot of them use older ones. I find. The real deal is whatever you find it to be. I haven't played a marshall that I've liked as much as what I've got now. Each person has their own kind of, perfect amp, and not saying I have mine, but the top of the line marshall isn't necessarily that amp.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by Osiris77
Its just really not the tone I'm looking for its fizzy, and really dark and bassy I need something less fizzy and that cuts through better....

That's the only downfall I found with Carvin amps. They're dark sounding amps, which make it harder to cut through the mix especially if/when you have another guitarist in your band.
Quote by Guitarmiester
That's the only downfall I found with Carvin amps. They're dark sounding amps, which make it harder to cut through the mix especially if/when you have another guitarist in your band.

Thats point and case right there...
Quote by echo_4190
See, I've finally stopped believing that. Until not that long ago, I thought a new marshall JVM2000 HAD to be the best cause it was Marshalls Flagship amp, and marshall is marshall, but really, the guys that use marshalls, a lot of them use older ones. I find. The real deal is whatever you find it to be. I haven't played a marshall that I've liked as much as what I've got now. Each person has their own kind of, perfect amp, and not saying I have mine, but the top of the line marshall isn't necessarily that amp.

Well I'm not saying Marshall makes the best amps I'm just saying that it seems like the amps that everone says are just as good as the really expensive top of the line amps like Marshall, Mesa Boogie, or even Diezal and Bogner are really not in the same class.....Basically what I'm trying to say is if you want a Dual rectifier save up for a Dual Rectifier don't buy a V3. If you want a Diezal buy a Diezal not a Bugera, if you want a Hot rodded Marshal buy a hot rodded Marshall not a 5150 and so on....
Quote by Osiris77
Well I'm not saying Marshall makes the best amps I'm just saying that it seems like the amps that everone says are just as good as the really expensive top of the line amps like Marshall, Mesa Boogie, or even Diezal and Bogner are really not in the same class.....Basically what I'm trying to say is if you want a Dual rectifier save up for a Dual Rectifier don't buy a V3. If you want a Diezal buy a Diezal not a Bugera, if you want a Hot rodded Marshal buy a hot rodded Marshall not a 5150 and so on....

When you put it that way, you are right. Though I have a little less faith in marshall specifically than I used to.

I do still want a Dual Rectifier, after all, and a fender for my cleans. But yeah, in that regard I agree with you.

My only suggestion is to make sure you try the head and others first, because I've heard a lot of mixed things about it.

I only wish you the best dude.
Quote by echo_4190
When you put it that way, you are right. Though I have a little less faith in marshall specifically than I used to.

I do still want a Dual Rectifier, after all, and a fender for my cleans. But yeah, in that regard I agree with you.

My only suggestion is to make sure you try the head and others first, because I've heard a lot of mixed things about it.

I only wish you the best dude.

Alright thanks for all the input
You're in the States? I'd seriously consider looking at Splawn amps.
They will crap all over the jvm.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
You're in the States? I'd seriously consider looking at Splawn amps.
They will crap all over the jvm.

this i agree with, not just because im getting a splawn lol but because my friend has a jvm 100 watt head and it sounds awful. its just so mediocre in so many ways. mainly because its lifeless and sterile (which i believe was said before)
anyway there are much better things you can get then the marshall and for cheaper too

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Did someone say British Tone!

Look into splawns, but if you do want a cheaper alternative, I would highly suggest getting an Orange rocker 30 or a rockerverb.
Go play one I think is the message here.

I love it, as do many other people, but on here it appears everyone who has played it (or just has an opinion) doesn't like it.
Quote by iamtompublic
Go play one I think is the message here.

I love it, as do many other people, but on here it appears everyone who has played it (or just has an opinion) doesn't like it.

We don't per-se hate them as much as we feel they are madly overpriced.
There are tons of amps that run for 2 grand that blow it out of the water. If it was priced in the 1000-1300 range it might be a much more suitable option.
Quote by Highwaytohell
We don't per-se hate them as much as we feel they are madly overpriced.
There are tons of amps that run for 2 grand that blow it out of the water. If it was priced in the 1000-1300 range it might be a much more suitable option.

For sure, I'd consider picking one up if I could get it for a little more than a used DSL, but for the price it costs, it's a complete rip-off imo.

With a boost and the gain set low, it might sound better for high gain stuff, but it sounds pretty bad by itself imo
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com