Page 1 of 2
i mean by heart, for every note, how many do average people know them by heart?
Define "average". Do you mean average three chord punk player or average shredder?

More to the point why do you care?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Pentatonic, and diatonic major.
I'm fairly familiar with diatonic minor.
Why does it matter? Are you gauging your own abilities by ours? e.g: loads of blues guitar players don't actually know any scales, they can just navigate the fretboard.
Quote by Regression
Most guitarists I know don't know any scales.

subconsciously they probably do. i didn't think i knew any. then i went to college doing music, and the guitar teacher showed me loads of scales that i didn't "know" but had been using all along.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
minor pentatonic, major, harmonic minor
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Major and Minor pentatonics, major and minor scales and I'm alright on blues scales. In terms of memorising the actual notes of the scales I'm bad, and for everything scale apart from C/Am I have to go through my head thinking of the notes.
major pentatonics, minor and major scales and some minor arpeggios
Sorry for my bad english, i'm brazilian
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's better to learn how to make them up. The number of half steps and whole steps, so you can understand how they work rather than just a load of boxes.

This. What's the point of memorizing "boxes" of each separate scale? If you know how a scale is constructed, you can learn a single set of patterns and use them for every (diatonic) scale.
tell u what, just learn major scales and then take tips from marty friedman on utube

that should give u fair idea on scales

and dont be hard driven on scales for soloing, use your ear more, thats what i do

Last edited by akhimakhi93 at Nov 22, 2008,
knowing scales is one thing. Anyone can memorize notes, but the application of the scales is what is important.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
If you know modes (diatonic or melodic or even harmonic)... scale formation isn't really rocket science.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
I know the pentatonic major/minor scales across the neck, one shape of the major scale and the harmonic minor scale. I don't use them though, I tend to improvise on what 'sounds' right, and where I would go next, wether or not it's in a scale. Dissonant notes are one of the best ways to build tension in solos, and if you just stuck to one scale all the time, I could immagine people getting very bored.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
its easier just to put all the notes on the fretboard through the intervals in the scale rather than memorizing each note imo.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Define "average". Do you mean average three chord punk player or average shredder?

More to the point why do you care?

+1

It's a pretty stupid question.

People learn whatever scales they need to know to help create and understand the music they love.

"How many?" is simply isn't an issue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Harmonic minor
Major
Minor
Melodic minor
penatonic minor

but i useally mess about with them while soloing or whatever like marty friedman from his melodic control video etc..
Major
Harmonic Minor
Blues
Pentatonic Major and Minor
and most of the Modes.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Satch has some songs in Hungarian Minor which is pretty odd, but all the more awesome.

It's the application that matters. My guitar teacher has been playing for 20 years and has yet to find an application for Melodic Minor.
The Pentatonic Minor Scale.

Thats it. Seriously.

I play hardcore punk, so scales don't really matter much for me, but i should still learn some more anyway.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Am arpeggio
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
All 7, err, "normal" modes (for lack of a better word)
Minor Pentatonic
Hungarian Gypsy
Blues/Hexatonic Scale
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Just one, the major scale. Every modes for every key is derived from that scale anyway.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by radomu
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=uSaTAGsIBEI

this?

pretty helpful video i guess, yep it was a stupid question sry...

Marty Friedman's way of looking at playing is almost entirely unique among guitar players, I wouldn't worry too much about his attitude towards scales, just try to get your head round everything else he says. Quite frankly I think his drive to become something different to your average guitar player has led to some quite frankly...stupid attitudes toward music.

Nothing against him though, he is beyond awesome.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Marty's got some interesting ideas about melody, nothing against the guy though.

I know the seven modes of the major scale, how to alter those for the Gypsy scale and Harmonic Minor, and my pentatonics in their various voicings.

I just try to use my ear when I'm playing along, get something that fits and stands out as opposed to just rocking arpeggios all over.
Pentatonic maj/min
Blues
Most of the modes (including pentatonic and diminished)
Harmonic minor
Melodic minor
Double harmonic
a bunch of exotic scales (cant be bothered to name em all, but they include ones like the Mongolian and Chinese)

these are the ones I know but I dont really make too much use of the exotic scales.
Last edited by Uncle Fonzie at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Marty Friedman's way of looking at playing is almost entirely unique among guitar players, I wouldn't worry too much about his attitude towards scales, just try to get your head round everything else he says. Quite frankly I think his drive to become something different to your average guitar player has led to some quite frankly...stupid attitudes toward music.

Nothing against him though, he is beyond awesome.

meh, I think he has the point, we should create our own scales
both pentatonics, Aeolian, Dorian, Harmonic Minor, Ionian, Phyrigian.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I know a lot of scales that I don't often use. The scales that I'm most proficient in, as far as improvisation goes: Major, Ionian, pentatonic minor, blues scales, and harmonic minor.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Quote by radomu
meh, I think he has the point, we should create our own scales

I don't. For a start he almost completely ignores scalar ideas in favour of using arpeggios for EVERYTHING and for a second: any scale you can think of already has a name, you just need to find it.

He has a good way of looking at things in terms of using chord tones and arpeggios, arpeggio substitution and all that kind of thing but his idea that learning scales leads to playing a certain way is just bullshit.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Major, minor (have natural down well, working on the other two), have some experience with pentatonics (i understand vaguely how they work), a smidge of knowledge on the blues scale and I'm starting to learn how modes work
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
G Major (for some reason I can't do the Major scale in any other key though) and any Augmented Fifth Scale.

Yup, that is all I know. I find it doesn't matter though, I know what each string at each fret sounds like, so as long as I know the tune, I can play basically anything and make up solos on the spot without knowing the key the song's in. But that's how I always am with everything, I'm always self-taught with anything and I never learn the 'proper' ways to do stuff.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I only know A minor and harmonic minor, but I know how to form all the others (Phrygian, lidian, etc...) because I know the shapes (whatever you call them). I don't really use the others though because I don't need them for the type of music I play
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't. For a start he almost completely ignores scalar ideas in favour of using arpeggios for EVERYTHING and for a second: any scale you can think of already has a name, you just need to find it.

He has a good way of looking at things in terms of using chord tones and arpeggios, arpeggio substitution and all that kind of thing but his idea that learning scales leads to playing a certain way is just bullshit.

This.

+1 to ZeG too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Major across the board (easy, just learn the shape and start from whatever root note)
Kinda have A Aeolian.
And pieces of a few others.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
You usually don't learn scales note for note. You learn their step patterns to construct the scale, then you can construct the scale on the fretboard and memorize whatever positions you want.

I know how to construct stuff like the Major, Minor, Melodic and Harmonic Minor scales. But the ones i've memorized all over the Fretboard are the Natural Minor(change to harmonic by one note), the Minor Pentatonic. And the first position of the Major scale, although it's the same thing as the Natural Minor in a different position and key.
Every time I think I know all of them they surprise me in theory class.. the other day we learnt the modes of the melodic minor:

Melodic Minor
Dorian b2
Lydian Augmented
Lydian Dominant (the Simpsons theme!)
Mixolydian b13
Aeolian b5
Locrian #2

Then there's all the altered scales, Half/Whole Diminished, Whole/Half Diminished, Whole Tone, all modes of the major, Melodic and harmonic minors, pentatonics, blues.

I know a grand majority of them in all positions, but after a while I start thinking in theory rather than pattern, and I flit between then so much that whenever I'm asked 'What scale are you using?" I respond - the chromatic one.
I use-

Major and minor pentatonic
Natural Minor
Harmonic Minor
Blues
Major
Lydian
Mixolydian

I can't remember any more of the modes.
Page 1 of 2