Hey there,

I have a Fender Marcus Miller and an Epiphone EB3. I need a cheap backup bass for serious gigs. I would use the epiphone but the neck dive hurts my back.

Ive been looking at the Yamaha RBX270J & Ibanez SR.
Budgets around £2-300
Any ideas?
Cheers
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
VM or CV Squiers or MIM Fenders
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
if you want cheep you should look into a squier p-bass that is what Ive used for years at gigs and it works good.
the best yamaha you can get in your price range. personaly i think the entry level bass is a good bass full stop, not just a backup
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I thought about getting a 3/4 length and sewing some kind of extra pocket thing on my gigbag, so I could carry both at once easily.

you could go for one of those "stienberger" or whatever they're called - The ones that are strung upside down with tiny bodies.

But do you even need a backup bass? I mean, every gig I've ever played had other bassists there, so if anything went wrong I'd just borrow one of their's. It's not ideal, but it's alot less hassle than carrying 2 basses around, and it's good socially cos they know they can borrow yours anytime aswell. Plus, how often does your bass actually give up on you? It used to happen to me occationally cos the electronics were ****, but both your basses are of good quality (by my standards anyway..)
Last edited by jimRH7 at Nov 23, 2008,
i do need a backup, because at the gigs i play i am the ONLY band, so im on my own.

Pub covers bands all the way
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
hmm, probably what everyone has said. On the other hand maybe you should try and find something HS, try and compromise between the very different sounds of the Marcus and Epi.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.