I haven't found a technique to do this that I'm happy with.

I've tried depressing the string with my fretting hand to mute the note, but it still rings out a little. Then I tried muting with my plucking hand after every note, which gets the right sound but I'm not sure it's the best way.

I have no problem with muting in general. It's just when I have to do it right after every note in 8ths and so on.
When I play staccato, I'll tend to mute with my middle finger, kind of if I was using the string as a finger rest, if you get me. Then, the finger is still able to pluck, and then you use the next picking finger to mute. Probably easier to show than explain.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
When I play staccato, I'll tend to mute with my middle finger, kind of if I was using the string as a finger rest, if you get me. Then, the finger is still able to pluck, and then you use the next picking finger to mute. Probably easier to show than explain.

Yeah, that's what I was doing. But it seems to take a lot of concentration for me.
I'd mute with one of my picking fingers. Either play the note then mute with another plucking finger, or get a palm muting effect by resting your little and/or ring finger on the string by the bridge as you play.

Or, you could mute with one of your unused fretting fingers by resting it on the string just past where you fret.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
On some vintage Fender basses, isn't there a bar you can lower onto the strings to achieve this staccato effect?
if you're talking about a pickup cover like this: http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/images/66jazz.jpg

that's not what they're for. they were for preventing feedback, but since that's been made just about obsolete now, they're just for looks, really.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
I use my fretting hand to mute by lifting my finger just enough to were it mutes the note but not so high that I get a harmonic.
Quote by hippiebass
I use my fretting hand to mute by lifting my finger just enough to were it mutes the note but not so high that I get a harmonic.

me too
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I sort of take my two picking fingers and put them together and pick with the pointer and roll the middle onto the string, its really quick and effective for me at least