Lately I decided that I really want to shred like my idols John Petrucci, Timo Tolkki, Michael Romeo etc.
I know that the answer to becoming this is practice, practice, practice
But I'm really unsure my way of practicing helps me there. I just grab my axe daily, turn on the metronome and play a solo lick that comes to my mind (or printed out). When I want something new to practice I just type in for example ''string skipping exercise'' on google.

My skill level if it comes to soloing is low. I can play this in sixteenth at 80-85 bpm
E B
|-16-12----------------12--------------------------|
|----------------------------------12-16-12--------|
|-------16-13----13-16-----------------------------|
|-------------14-------------13-16----------16-13--|
|-------------------------14-----------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------|

C#m G#m
|-12-9--------------9----------------------|
|-----------------------------9-12-9-------|
|------13-9----9-13------------------------|
|-----------11-----------9-13--------13-9--|
|---------------------11-------------------|
|------------------------------------------|

Shall I practice the extreme fast shred stuff at for example 40 bpm or shall I practice other kind of stuff? I really don't know if I'm capable of learning this in 2 more years. I have been playing for 1-2 years now.
Hope anybody has suggestions

Ruben
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Try playing with emotion, not just skill. Read all the phrasing stuff on here.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Get really good at the slower stuff before you even think of trying anything fast. Also make sure you progress gradually, there's no point suddenly trying to tackle something insanely hard because you've decidced you want to learn "teh shredzorz"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
But I want to CHUGGA SWEEPZORS now!
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

"t3h Shredz0rz" << lol

Yeah find some licks and excercises practice em at like 60bpm, and once you can say repeat those licks 10 times in a row without stopping and make NO mistakes.. move it up to like 70 bpm. Increases your muscle memory as i've read about and it will increase your synchronisation between left and right :P

This is what i'm currently doing anyways ^_^
You Are Reading A True Guitarists Signature. Stop Thinking I'm Not You Know I Am.

Quote by imdeth
Eblast over her face and tell her you need your privacy.
Personally, I play a whole lot faster when I improvise. When my only restriction is the key and beat, my fingers move at godlike speeds (And it doesn't sound to bad either). When playing other songs.....nyeh....not so much.
Try just practising it slowly as you're doing and gradually make it faster.
Remember economy and alternate picking.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
just play slow stuff to begin with then ge faster, because as the lactic acid builds up your muscle grows allowing you to play faster, but thats the first step next you must practise and practise sweeping and arpreggios, try learning the solo for scream aim fire by bullet for my valentine, its played at 200bpm so gradually you wil see yourself play faster
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Quote by t0m_r0cks
just play slow stuff to begin with then ge faster, because as the lactic acid builds up your muscle grows allowing you to play faster, but thats the first step next you must practise and practise sweeping and arpreggios, try learning the solo for scream aim fire by bullet for my valentine, its played at 200bpm so gradually you wil see yourself play faster

It has nothing to do with building muscle nor lactic acid. Lactic Acid doesn't help you build muscle; when you exercise a muscle significantly, you create microtears in it. When your body repairs it you get muscle gain.

To the OP - I'm struggling with this right now too. I hear this play slow business, and I'm really skeptical. However, I am seeing slight improvement. So I just try to play as much as I can at a decent bpm (anywhere from 60-80 16th notes) to get my hands synchronized better.
Quote by fnmpm

To the OP - I'm struggling with this right now too. I hear this play slow business, and I'm really skeptical. However, I am seeing slight improvement.

LOL. Playing slowly is only the outer idea behind the reason for doing so. It's to give
your attention time to expand into all the little details of what you're doing. That's the
real reason. Just playing slowly doesn't have any special magic other than that.
Thanks for the comments. Can anybody maybe recommend an awesome exercise? An exercise that makes you as fat as Michael Romeo and Malmsteen together?
Quote by razorback91

I don't think repeating an "exercise" does jack. I would find a song that you love but is out of your reach. Pull it up in Guitar Pro and set it to 50%. Run through it until you feel comfortable with it and slowly bring it up. Set a goal -- 10% per week maybe.

An exercise will make you an expert at that one little position, but learning songs that are well thought out and expand the fretboard will improve you more, IMO.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Thanks for the comments. Can anybody maybe recommend an awesome exercise? An exercise that makes you as fat as Michael Romeo and Malmsteen together?

Dessert during and after every meal. Intead of using a slide, use a bunch of munchkins, so you can eat them after every lick. Speaking of licks, lolipops instead of picks.

A good way to get faster is playing things slowly then faster. And don't always look up other people's licks, try making up one at a slow speed and get it gradually faster. You'll find it easier to play licks you make up then someone else's. Heres an example I made up:

7-9-11-9-7----------------------
------------------------------------
-----------10-9-7-----7-9-10---
---------------------9-------------

And repeat that again and again. I made it string-skipping because I guess that's what you're focusing on.

Yeah, keep trying different stuff though. Do easy things like an Open C scale, go to an excersize like the one i made, don't bore yourself. Keep yourself busy, it's only going to get funner the faster you get.
I recently got hold of an application called guitar speed trainer. It has loads of drills and surely is a fine method that seems to have a point. Try it out and see for yourself maybe.

When it comes to playing fast there is always that "play slow" thing, but you should really try and play gradually (that is, at every practice session) faster, reach a peak, and then go back at a semi-comfortable tempo. There is no point in only playing slow, that way you will never learn to play fast. It's like walking and running, kind of the same, but involving different mechanics.

That's what I've come to, I'm not a shredder myself though
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by 08L1V10N
Thanks for the comments. Can anybody maybe recommend an awesome exercise? An exercise that makes you as fast as Michael Romeo and Malmsteen together?

No such thing. Both of those guys are masters of dozens of complex movements that cannot be simplified to a single exercise.

What you can do is just start improving your muting and economy of motion with everything you play, that'll take you a looooooooooonng way to that goal.
Thanks, for the help

How do I pick this F note? upstroke or downstroke?

Quote by razorback91

Quote by m4l666
Try playing with emotion, not just skill. Read all the phrasing stuff on here.

How does that help him? Emotion is not an inherent property of music, and he can't worry about articulation until he can actually hit the notes, now can he?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I can look like I'm having an orgasm while bending a note so Emotion = Check
Quote by razorback91

Last edited by 08L1V10N at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by 08L1V10N
I can look like I'm having an orgasm while bending a note so Emotion = Check

But can you play up and down the Em pentatonic in 4/4 time with lots of bends? That's the only real way to play with emotion.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Depends on what pattern of the Em pentatonic
Quote by razorback91

Quote by 08L1V10N
Thanks, for the help

How do I pick this F note? upstroke or downstroke?

****, sorry for 2-day late response.

upstroke, I find it easier to pick in the direction of the string you're going to.
tbh, I just learned solos and would slow them down and practice with a metronome. I ran some scales to learn them and develop my own stuff, but I've never intentionally practiced economy picking or anything. I've just gone through a cycle of finding a song, trying to learn the solo, have it kick my ass, and practicing over and over. I improved my sweep picking when learning some Yngwie, alternate picking with Dream Theater, yada yada. If you just spend hours practicing hard and playing the crap out of the guitar you will improve.
no
Speed comes in time. like the other guy said...
Just kinda lower the tempo of your favorite song by 50% or w/e feels comfortable and play along with it and try to play cleanly. Just work your way up from there.

I don't think Yngwie or Romeo meant to become "shredders" it just kinda happend in time(speed) as they practiced so much.
That's why they are quite fa(s)t.
Quote by razorback91