Page 1 of 2
im a guitarist and a noob so i know little on the subject

i am currently in the process of getting a job, and as soon as i get employed im gonna expand out to bass, as i do alot of home recording etc and i just like bass.

what would be a nice amp for recording? gigging is irrelavant now, but i want an amp that really overdrives nicely, like an epi valve junior but for bass, im planning on getting somthing like a t-bird with humbuckers that has a real rumble to it, i mostly play indie such as kings of leon, death cab for cutie, ash, the kills, the raconteurs etc, ive tried out numerous basses and i loved the t-bird to bits, my bass playing friend (who knows alot more about bass than i do) said i sounded better with the thunderbird, i know theres alot of tbird haters but can we leave that aside

anyway is there an amp like the valve junior but for bass, that preferably valved and can be used for recording a nice overdriven tone, im not to bothered about cleans, or volume/headroom, just somthing that will achieve this one sound i want for recording, after all i am a guitarist and a singer first, i just need a bass amp.

thanks for your help, budget as low as possible please

ta
Spend the money on a good computer/instrument interface and decent software instead.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Spend the money on a good computer/instrument interface and decent software instead.

+1. A Line6 Toneport or something should do, and that'll do your guitar as well. BTW, the Raconteurs aren't indie by any stretch of imagination. They are rock, hard rock, blues rock, all that stuff. But not f*cking indie.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

^that. if you must look into amps, look at Acoustic amps. they are well priced and quite clear sounding.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You will struggle to find a cheap valve bass amp, you'd probably be better off with an amp and a bass overdrive pedal if you're on a budget. Maybe try something like an Ashdown EB and a Boss bass OD or if you have a bit more cash a MAG.

There are loads of other brands out there, I'm only reccomending these as their the only ones I have experience with
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
hmm.. i dont like those diigital interface things, they just dont sound right, and i would like an actual natural tube overdrive sound, your telling me nobody makes a low wattage cheapish bass valved combo?

and

stupid metalhead
Last edited by lefthandman9876 at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by lefthandman9876
hmm.. i dont like those diigital interface things, they just dont sound right, and i would like an actual natural tube overdrive sound, your telling me nobody makes a low wattage cheapish bass valved combo?

and

stupid metalhead

tube isn't as desired a tone as it is on guitar. with that T-bird, those and the size of those little speakers, you are going to sound like a wet fart.

the only reason they count as indie is because sexy is not a genre.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
tube isn't as desired a tone as it is on guitar. with that T-bird, those and the size of those little speakers, you are going to sound like a wet fart.

the only reason they count as indie is because sexy is not a genre.

hmm, really? see i know nothing about bass

what do you guys reccomend then? apart from digital modelling/toneport things (im especially sceptical of those)

a good bass combo that will give me a sweet overdriven tone (possibly coupled with an overdrive pedal) for as little price as possible?
I find that Roland Cube's are pretty good for recording. I've used them once or twice in a recording situation, and it's gonna be my next amp for home use. Nice clear sound, and a very wide array of usable sounds at your disposable. Not sure about a natural tube overdrive though, but you could try a tube overdrive pedal with it.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
bass is clean in most genres. I'd get an Acoustic AB50 myself, a great amp. and, dual inputs, always a plus.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Don't record bass with an amp. Get a DI. A SansAmp. With that famous distortion. Do it. Now.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^^^ thats what i was going to say.

That thing sounds better than most amps anyways
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
+1 to the modelling software and DI suggestions. The point is, if you're just recording, you really don't need an amp at all.

With Line 6 modelling software, you can get a reasonable attempt at a valve sound. I think they actually sound quite decent for the money. Put it this way... to achieve a similar quality with a normal amp setup, you'd be spending a lot more money.

I like to record using my EBS MicroBass II. Excellent DI, but pricey.

I don't think I've heard of a cheap bass valve amp. But TBH, if you're on any kind of a strict budget, you're always going to be comprimising quality of tone.
Quote by lefthandman9876
, your telling me nobody makes a low wattage cheapish bass valved combo?

You got it, price and weight.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
You got it, price and weight.

Not only that, there's absolutely no use for one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Not only that, there's absolutely no use for one.

yea, shows how little i know about bass haha

ok il look into those things but i really dont like them, ive had bad experiences with them before just producing a bunch of mediocre tones that have all been completly useless

what are the orange crush bass amps like? the guitar ones are ok for a SS practive amp

edit:

ok i checked out a sansamp

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zdujY_NHGpE&feature=related

that sounds horrid to me? just tinny and digital and lots of mediocre farty noises that will be of no use to me =/
Last edited by lefthandman9876 at Nov 25, 2008,
Since you Have put a budget get an an old american made ampeg fliptop. Its a tube combo that on some of the rarier models(i thinkl) the eq is fliped out. Pretty coll.

But in reality get a sansamp and plug it ionto your comp.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I was sort of joking They cost you over a grand for a working one for sure. the sansamp will woerk fine.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The SansAmp isn't digital, and trust me you can get a good tone from one. That video was horribly made.

edit: Let's put it this way, you'll find a SansAmp in the pedalboard of quite a few professional bassists. Rob Trujillo has two different ones in his rig.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 25, 2008,
If I'm honest you'd only really need an decent amp and stuff if you were primarily a bassist who is in a band situation and is recording with them, other than that you're not gonna need more than the SansAmp it'll do what your looking for.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by jymellis
what are you recording with?

would be mic-usbmixer-cubase

still im just scepticle about that sansamp, its quite alot of money for somthing that i really dont see as all that great, and i would like the possibility of jaming etc and possibly small live use

no good small bass combo's?

and still no answers on the orange?
Their quiet small. would you be jamming mwith a drummer ans guitarist. give us a price range if you defiantly ant an amp,.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
as stated earlier, you will get better results recording the bass direct. mic'ing a small amp will give VERY poor results in most cases. all of our recordings are direct.
we add effects in the mixdown if needed.
Quote by lefthandman9876
would be mic-usbmixer-cubase

still im just scepticle about that sansamp, its quite alot of money for somthing that i really dont see as all that great.

An amp that is useful for recording would also be good enough for gigging meaning a good 250 watts+ and you'll find they are a fair bit more money.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

really? in my old band my bassists 20w awful practice amp could easilly keep up with the drummer with not too much clipping

i suppose its quite a tricky question, i think il head off to the bass shop in london and ask them, try out some amps and possibly a sansamp thingamabob

thanks for your help anyway guys

hopefully soon i will frequent the bass forum a bit more
Heyyyyy

Gallien-Krueger Backline 1x12 inch speaker, so your T-bird will go nice, has a Distortion circuit and a D.I. output

All for under £200

Link? No? Oh, okay, here it is ........ RIGHT HERE
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by pandathe3
Heyyyyy

Gallien-Krueger Backline 1x12 inch speaker, so your T-bird will go nice, has a Distortion circuit and a D.I. output

All for under £200

Link? No? Oh, okay, here it is ........ RIGHT HERE

we have a winrar

that sounds sweet, i found a vid of that being played with a tbird and it sounded like win

thanks bass forum dudes, il report back when i get my vagrant self a job

=]
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kbZxrTq1JbA&feature=related
for youtube and a crappy webcam that sounds niiice
Last edited by lefthandman9876 at Nov 26, 2008,
So if you are a noob (as you stated). Why worry about recording? To be honest no one wants to hear you (yet). Are your goals a little unrealistic?
Quote by lefthandman9876
we have a winrar

that sounds sweet, i found a vid of that being played with a tbird and it sounded like win

thanks bass forum dudes, il report back when i get my vagrant self a job

=]
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kbZxrTq1JbA&feature=related
for youtube and a crappy webcam that sounds niiice

Unless English is your second language, I sugest that you brush up on your typing skills.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
winrar is 4chan speak sorry :P

Quote by John Swift
Unless English is your second language, I sugest that you brush up on your typing skills.

i suggest that you brush up on yours

Quote by IPlaySchecter
So if you are a noob (as you stated). Why worry about recording? To be honest no one wants to hear you (yet). Are your goals a little unrealistic?

im currently a bass noob as i have only played about 3 left handed basses in my life, i am a very acomplished guitarist though, played for many years and im pretty advanced

im just currently not too brilliant at bass through inexperience, i'l be fine if i get to sit down with a bass for more than 15 minuts
Last edited by lefthandman9876 at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by lefthandman
im currently a bass noob as i have only played about 3 left handed basses in my life, i am a very acomplished guitarist though, played for many years and im pretty advanced

im just currently not too brilliant at bass through inexperience, i'l be fine if i get to sit down with a bass for more than 15 minuts

I might say as well.. Your guitar playing will only help to a certain extent with bass. It's a whole different beast.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

oh yea i know, i wont be doing anything like slapping and popping, mostly simple stuff, i have a couple of friends who also play both guitar and bass, and neither of them are as good at me at guitar and they can all handle bass with ease

ability wise its not a problem, i just know little about bass/basses
So what your saying is that you feel that you will become an expert bassiest if you play for 15 minutes. Ive been going for three years and dont feel near that level.
Take bass as a whole new instrument. get a sansamp and a set of ear phones. And off you go. Dont PRESUME anything.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
well hopefully i will be all i need to be, im willing to put in the work to learn as i have played guitar for a long time and spend many hours a day playing, and i really really dont like that sansamp, and ifi need to fill in for my friends band on bass or want to jam or anything then i will be ampless
So, just wondering...

Why won't you get a DI box and record like... everyone else does, pretty much?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Page 1 of 2