so, i have an old Epiphone SG which was my first guitar. this particular model has been discontinued by Epiphone. think of it as a SG version of this except with a basswood body (i think). would it be worth customizing it completely instead of buying a new guitar? i have grown to like the neck and fell of the guitar (almost as much as i like my fender strat).

thanks
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Players-Pack?sku=518745

I think this is what you have, seeing as the Epiphone Studio 10-S comes with it... and the thing you linked to was a Les Paul, not an SG.

As for customizing it, I wouldn't spend too much money on it, maybe some better pickups and possibly some paint.
Quote by Souls United
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-Players-Pack?sku=518745

I think this is what you have, seeing as the Epiphone Studio 10-S comes with it... and the thing you linked to was a Les Paul, not an SG.

As for customizing it, I wouldn't spend too much money on it, maybe some better pickups and possibly some paint.

no, thats not what i have...thats an SG special. i know i linked a LP...my guitar is the SG version of that (1 humbucker, no bridge etc.) but its discontinued...

i would want to spend more or less 250 bucks, to change the pickup, tailpeace, tuners, knobs etc. and add a new paint scheme
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Yeah man, go for it.

I can recommend a tonepros bridge.

Can you post pics?? To me it almsot sounds as if you are describing a melody maker, not an SG v- something like this

Either way, sounds interesting - enquiring minds want to know..
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Epiphone SG Junior, perhaps?

Also, it doesn't lack a bridge - the bridge and tailpiece are combined into one unit.

Edit:

My serious suggestion would be this:
If you like the neck so much, look on eBay for a new body from another Epiphone bolt-on SG. The resale value is terrible, so you should be able to get one dirt cheap, then load it with some decent pickups and new hardware.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/gibson-epiphine-sg-body-high-gloss-finish-black_W0QQitemZ110314823280QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item110314823280&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/gibson-sg-body_W0QQitemZ250326818393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item250326818393&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/gibson-epiphine-sg-body-high-gloss-finish-black_W0QQitemZ110314818939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item110314818939&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Edit 2:

Also, don't worry about spending money on good electronics and hardware for a cheap guitar, because they're solid investments that you can use on any other guitar in the future.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Nov 23, 2008,
^fantastic idea - hell, I might buy that gibson sg body myself

EDIT: Urrgh, after looking more closely, perhaps the black epi ones!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Last edited by cuthbertg at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by cuthbertg
^fantastic idea - hell, I might buy that gibson sg body myself

EDIT: Urrgh, after looking more closely, perhaps the black epi ones!

FYI, that 'Gibson' body would have been an Epiphone. Gibson don't make any bolt-on SGs.

Buy yeah, search around on eBay. There's always some killer stuff.
yeah i know, but take a closer look - its as if they have bolted a neck on a glue-in body.

My epi SG bolt on neck dont look like that!!
Quote by cuthbertg
yeah i know, but take a closer look - its as if they have bolted a neck on a glue-in body.

My epi SG bolt on neck dont look like that!!

Lawl, you're right. That's definitely a set-neck body. The grain looks like ass though, and the inside of the neck pocket doesn't look like mahogany, so I stand by the "It's not a Gibson" remark.
Yeah, I agree it doesn't look right at all for a gibson.

HA! I wonder if he painted frets on his pickup covers....

It will be interesting to see if the TS goes for a new body - I think i might treat my old treasure to an upgrade (i've got enough decent spare parts to gibsonize an epi SG) and beeing as it's been smashed up/set fire etc a few times replacing the body looks like a good option as I love the feel of the neck after 15 years worth of abuse