I'm talking about those ~200 dollar sets that companies like Squier, Cort, Epiphone, and Ibanez are selling that has a low end guitar, an amp, and everything else you basically need.

Because I live in two different houses, my parents are split up so I go to my dads during the weekends (for freedom).
So I thought, while I keep my expensive 700 dollar guitar at my mother's, I want a cheap one for my dad's to just practice.

I'm not going to buy it for live, just practice.

Are they any worth it?
I heard the squier and epiphone starters are mediocre, but which sets do you recommend?
As he said just go try some stuff out. For practice there should be nothing wrong with them
Quote by jackofclubs
As he said just go try some stuff out. For practice there should be nothing wrong with them

Well, I heard some squier guitars don't have the support metal rod in the neck, which makes it snap at some point...

Maybe if that happenes I should replace it with a mexican
no, they are absolut crap, your better off buying cheap stuff seperatly...trust me me and two of my friends got starter packs long ago, they dont stay in tune for 5 minutes, break very easly, amps crap, tuner dont work, Im ctually glad that my crapy (in the kit) strap broke and the guitar hit the floor and the neck cracked
Quote by M.P.A.Guitarist
no, they are absolut crap, your better off buying cheap stuff seperatly...trust me me and two of my friends got starter packs long ago, they dont stay in tune for 5 minutes, break very easly, amps crap, tuner dont work, Im ctually glad that my crapy (in the kit) strap broke and the guitar hit the floor and the neck cracked

I just discovered that Fender Japan makes starter packs for about 600 dollars with a telecaster/stratocaster standard with the sets.
That's expensive, sure, but I heard Fender Japan guitars are significantly better than Squiers.

Maybe I could get that... if I had any money left after buying a Washburn Idol 64...
Quote by radomu
Well, I heard some squier guitars don't have the support metal rod in the neck, which makes it snap at some point...

Whoa! I don't think a guitar company with a known name brand would risk something like that, even on their most inexpensive guitars. It's simply bad for business. Forget what's been regurgitated so many times on the forums and just try them out for playability.

A better option would be to get your dad to buy you a kickass guitar *and* amp for when you visit him on weekends. Mention how your Mom cares so much about your musical progress and how you'd like to continue practicing when you visit him.

Of course you should go for something better than what you currently have ... don't downgrade if you can upgrade and all that.

I don't recommend the Epi or Marshall starter packs, but the Ibanez ones are better than you'd think. The guitar contained is the same as the Gio Ibanez models, the amp is not all that great though. A music store around here offers the Ibanez packs with a 15 watt amp instead of the original 10 watt one which makes a big difference (though I admit that Ibanez ss amps still sound mediocre no matter the size). Maybe a place near you offers this as well? You could at least ask. If you don't like the sound, throw in another 50 bucks for an overdrive pedal and you're set.

Otherwise, see if you can get some used stuff, like an old Yamaha Pacifica and a used Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix. Ebay is your friend.
Quote by Ippon
Whoa! I don't think a guitar company with a known name brand would risk something like that, even on their most inexpensive guitars. It's simply bad for business. Forget what's been regurgitated so many times on the forums and just try them out for playability.

A better option would be to get your dad to buy you a kickass guitar *and* amp for when you visit him on weekends. Mention how your Mom cares so much about your musical progress and how you'd like to continue practicing when you visit him.

Of course you should go for something better than what you currently have ... don't downgrade if you can upgrade and all that.

Well, that may be true.

Surprisingly both of my parents are supportive of me wanting to play some hard rock.
They were born as baby boomers and my father, who's 63 this year, attended an Art college during the late 60's, which should say a LOT about him (yes, he was a hippie and he did marijuana, listen to rock and roll in a rediculously liberated environment).

But I doubt that he will buy me a full blown guitar for that matter
I wouldn't buy together. They're good for beginners, but after a $700 guitar, it's going to feel like crap.

Maybe get a cheap guitar and a battery powered or really small amp (Micro Cube maybe?)
Quote by tigerking615
I wouldn't buy together. They're good for beginners, but after a $700 guitar, it's going to feel like crap.

Maybe get a cheap guitar and a battery powered or really small amp (Micro Cube maybe?)

not togather, probably

I may get it when I actually get into the instrument
Quote by radomu

I don't know of any Squire that doesnt have a truss rod in the neck. The rod isn't there for support anyway, after a while the tension from the strings causes the neck to warp, you use an allen wrench in the truss rod to straighten it out. Sometimes the hole for the truss rod isnt in the headstock, so people think they're not there, in those cases you have to take the neck off the body, and you'll find it at the end of the neck in the heel.
Quote by radomu
I just discovered that Fender Japan makes starter packs for about 600 dollars with a telecaster/stratocaster standard with the sets.
That's expensive, sure, but I heard Fender Japan guitars are significantly better than Squiers.

Maybe I could get that... if I had any money left after buying a Washburn Idol 64...

japanesse fenders are amazing if you really do live in tokyo i recommend you purchase that
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
I'd recommend forgoing the starter pack all together. If you already have a decent electric/ amp set up, why not buy a decent acoustic?? Playing on an acoustic will improve your playing skills all around. You cant really fake it on an acoustic. You cant turn the gain all the way up and smash around, you have to actually be able to play. If indeed you're just practicing over there, I'd suggest doing that, you're technique is forced to improve, your control, and your ear will develop.
Could someone fill me in on why quality matters in a weekend practice set? If you're just practicing and not recording/gigging why does it matter so much?
I don't know about the Ibanez starters, but I began with an Epi SG Special starter pack. The guitar is great for 150$ essentially, but the amp sucks. I would get the 200$ kit with the tuner, gig bag, cord, picks, guitar, and buy a Vypyr to replace the POS amp.
tell your dad that to gain your love again he must go by you a decent practice amp(roland microcube or peavey vyper) and a decent guitar (a mim fender or an epiphone g-400)
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
imho you don't really need an amp that badly its probably gonna sound better acousticaly than with an amp with that budget get a nicer guitar and crappier amp