I've seen a few people around here saying they can't hit pinches at all. They say they are doing the right technique, and they probably are. However, the left-hand plays a very important role as I found out yesterday, and I believe that many are having this problem.

Try this:

Before you actually pick and hit the the stick with your thumb, make sure that your left hand has the note fretted ALL THE WAY. If it isn't, and you press down as you do the pinchie, nothing will happen. Alot of people do not realize how important this is, but I was just doodling aorund yesterday and discovered it.

Most guitarists who are good at pinchies press the note down the split second before the pick the note, because they have the technique down nearly perfect.
my amp kinda 'chokes' my pinches. Dunno why, but when I play through other people's rigs I can do them fine, my amp just doesn't seem to like them.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
sorry, but, TS, that's pretty obvious.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
you should never use your pickups or amp as an excuse if youve mastered pinch harmonics you should be able to do them on anything even a acoustic
Quote by MatReeves
you should never use your pickups or amp as an excuse if youve mastered pinch harmonics you should be able to do them on anything even a acoustic

lol, but when I do them unplugged or through a different amp, there's no problem, and yes I can play pinches on an acoustic, but god knows why I would want to.

meh, I'm not really that fussed to be honest. I don't think they add that much to your playing anyway.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
yeah theres not really a point to do it on a acoustic haha but if you have them mastered you should be able to...i guess it depends what kind of music your playing sometimes pinch harmonics are essential sometimes there not just adds a little something extra
ya i can play squealies with my electric unplugged. its the technique not the gear. some gear makes it easier to be heard but the technique is the most important. i could get them out of a walmart guitar and amp combo
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by MatReeves

i can do them just that when is select both pickups (i have a crappy guitar, well had) the pinch would only sound good on certain intervals, i think you know what i mean
Quote by black-sabbath
sorry, but, TS, that's pretty obvious.

It may seem that way, but it's not.

If you ever have a day where you cant hit them, take a look at your left hand, I can guarantee it's the problem.
^ er, I can guarantee it's the right hand. If you wanted a PH two octaves higher than the A at the 5th fret, where do you PH?

You PH the note and fret it at the same time, same as if you were picking it normally...
What you've described applies to ANY note you play on the guitar - there's nothing remotely specific to pinch harmonics in there, and like Freepower said pinches are all about correct right hand techniwue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Sonny_sam
lol, but when I do them unplugged or through a different amp, there's no problem, and yes I can play pinches on an acoustic, but god knows why I would want to.

meh, I'm not really that fussed to be honest. I don't think they add that much to your playing anyway.

ummm.... when your ripping out a pantera solo on your acoustic

I do it all the time, dive bombs are a little harder though... i have to use my slide
Quote by Sonny_sam
my amp kinda 'chokes' my pinches. Dunno why, but when I play through other people's rigs I can do them fine, my amp just doesn't seem to like them.

This is actually very true, certain settings and effects can make them harder or easier to do.
Strings are important, I find the DRs have the best overall harmonics, elixers the worst.
Quote by Freepower
Check the lesson in my sig.

Thanks, I can do them now, sometimes, I'll practise
Quote by Tempoe
Strings are important, I find the DRs have the best overall harmonics, elixers the worst.

oo, nice. i found it strange that i could hit harmonics easier on an acoustic guitar than on my electric. maybe that really is the answer.
though, durability > harmonics lol
and i think elixirs could help improving harmonics better than those other strings. uhmm...
I like DR strings they bend really nice too.

TS i am not sure what you mean? Of course you have to fret all the way. But you do realise that once you have the string fretted meaning its touching the fret the only difference applying more pressure will do is change the pitch higher it will do nothing for your pinch harmonics. And i avoid uneeded fretting pressure as its uneeded tension. I aim to only press hard enough to make the note ring clean. I dont see what your point is? I think most peoples problem is with their right hand techniuqe. Vibrato does make the ph come alive more but its mearly an expressive technique not neccisary to do the p.h. Maybe you could explain what you mean more but as far as i can tell your only saying that we need to fret the note to play a pinch harmonic? If so thats kind of a no brainer.
My amps sucks for pinchies. And it's too bad cuz I really like pinchies.
Quote by steven seagull
What you've described applies to ANY note you play on the guitar - there's nothing remotely specific to pinch harmonics in there, and like Freepower said pinches are all about correct right hand techniwue.

This.

You should always make sure you're fretting the notes cleanly and correctly - regardless of whether or not you're trying to do pinch harmonics.

If you haven't mastered the first part yet (fretting), then you shouldn't even be thinking about the 2nd part (harmonics).
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
i've noticed that on my friends Marshall MG amp i can get squealies to just wail [only thing that amp is good for...] but on modeling amps such as roland cube, i have a harder time/the harmonics seem like they're 'tamed' if that makes sense, MESSAGE ME ABOUT THIS!