i came across a very good singer, that im thinking would be great to front my band (we have a drummer,bass player, and myself on the guitar) he just started singing a couple months ago, but hes one of those when u know hes got it. problem is, hes attached to this one beginner guitar player. im really good friends with both of them, but this other guitar player doesnt really realize that hes not really that good...they played an acoustic version of snuff by slipknot at my schools coffee house. the singer sounded great,and played most of the guitar parts on his acoustic...the other guy played on his out of tune EPI LP, played it too fast, so by the end he had them sped up pretty fast........and, his electric wasnt going through the PA, so i couldnt turn him down at all (im starting to do some sound stuff) and he didnt know enough to turn his guitar volume down....i dont think he knows what the pots on his guitar do..hes a nice enough guy, but i'm kind of tired of having to get some beginner musicians up to speed..ive been in bands that have always had to do that, and now that im with a solid group of musicians, i really dont wanna go back to that...so, does anybody have a good idea of going about trying to get this singer, without the guitar player? any good ways to talk about it with them?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Approach the singer telling him to that he should join your band, because he wants you, not because you want him. If you make it sound like you're desperate and you really want him to join, he'll be in control and the other guitar player will join. But, if you talk to him and really sell your band, convincing him that joining would be a great oppurtunity for him, you're in control, and you can let him know that you're not looking for another guitarist. Then you get the singer you want with out having to bring someone in that won't help you guys out.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C