hey i play an epiphone les paul ultra out of a fender deville (tube amp) and with a boss mega distortion pedal. i want to get a heavier sound and i think my strings are too thin i have elixirs but i dont know exactly what size. if i get heavier strings what will be the downside? will my guitar sound worse in standard tuning? thanks
You aren't gonna get a heavy metal sound out of a cheap boss distortion pedal and a fender amp, it just ain't gonna happen.

Heavy strings won't really help either, Tommy Iommi used very light strings and I'd still say black sabbath sounds pretty damn heavy. You get heavy strings so you can down tune without the strings getting all floppy.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well first of all i get a really good distortion sound out of my fender tube with the distortion pedal.. it sounded better than a bunch of other amps at guitar center and second thats what i mean. i dont want my strings to be floppy
Quote by Kevin Saale
You aren't gonna get a heavy metal sound out of a cheap boss distortion pedal and a fender amp, it just ain't gonna happen.

Heavy strings won't really help either, Tommy Iommi used very light strings and I'd still say black sabbath sounds pretty damn heavy. You get heavy strings so you can down tune without the strings getting all floppy.

Agreed. however, I do like the tone of heavier strings better, it's not necessarilly gonna give you a heavier sound, but if you already have a heavy sound, the heavy strings should fill it up nicely.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
okay thanks so that brings me back to my question which is what are the downsides of heavier strings
Harder to bend, though you get used to it. You'll have to have the neck on your guitar adjusted and you might have to have the slots on your nut cut wider. It's harder to tap with heavier strings too, though I rarely do.

Ninja: I agree, I like heavier strings better too, I've 11s on my strat and I'm tuned up to standard. I like heavier strings for their resistance to pick attack and their overall feel. If I play a guitar with 9s now they feel like toys.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Heavy strings give it a better tone I think.

And I'm not a huge fan of Elixirs. They're great for acoustics but not for electrics.

Try some gauge 10 D'addarios.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt