Page 1 of 2
Yeah, well, as I was looking through his videos, I wasn't really impressed, soundwise. Yes, he may be quite technical, but to my ears it wasn't nice. Can some one give me a link to him playing that is actually good, not just, IMHO noise. I'm not saying he's not ta;ented, its just that, other than the chicken, I haven't really heard anything soundwise better.. or maybe its just me... Links to vids please?
You're looking at live videos on YouTube and are expecting to find something musical? Maybe look up some of his albums and hear what he can really do, not just when he's showing off for the crowd while Joe Zawinal is getting a drink.
With Jaco I think his real talent was composing and writting for bass. His techinical ability was great also, but people miss the point when they just praise him for techniques and speed. You should pay more attention to the emotion he puts into his music not just his technical prowess.

I would argue that he has reached the electric bass equivelent level of what Mingus was for upright.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Nov 22, 2008,
Continuum.

Get ahold of a copy of Punk Jazz! Its a rather good cross-section of his career. Some of his stuff doesn't light my fire musically, but from a playing perspective he's amazing. The tone he gets from his bass of doom is just lush.
Quote by watchingmefall
Birdland by Weather Report.

Yeah, go listen to a fair bit of Weather Report. I always enjoy things more in a band context. I refuse to listen to Wooten solo, but with the flecktones I can listen for a full two songs in a row before I get tired of it.

Jaco's the same way for me, but I can listen to more of him solo and in the band then I can to Someone like Wooten.

I love Birdland.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 22, 2008,
Continuum is one of my alltime favourite Jaco pieces.
It is so beautiful.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghRCFju_kVs

Anything off his first solo album is great, Come on, Come Over, Donna Lee, Portrait of Tracy.

Really, almost anything.

ALSO: Teen Town. Blows my mind.
Last edited by LeperMessiah_ at Nov 22, 2008,
Don't worry man, It took me a while to appreciate him. Personally the first piece of music of his that really did something for me was " mercy, mercy, mercy " the live version. Try and find it!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
your avatar rocks flyingmarlin
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
On topic guys.

I figure you need a good understanding of music harmonically, and it really helps if you're a fan of jazz.

Most metal-only bassists might overlook his abilities. Also, it's not that he's the only one who can do it. He just happens to be the first bassist to have that style and technique.
Here's an idea - get your head out of your arse and get a hold of his albums? He's a musician, not an actor. And if you're not a Jazz fan, I don't think you'll like him. Not too many double kick drum breaks in a Jaco song.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by seljer
imho Portrait of Tracy one of the prettiest pieces of music ever

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
i love that song so much.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by thefitz
Here's an idea - get your head out of your arse and get a hold of his albums? He's a musician, not an actor. And if you're not a Jazz fan, I don't think you'll like him. Not too many double kick drum breaks in a Jaco song.
Just because of my name and avatar you think I am limited to metal music? You think I can't enjoy different types of music? Why don't you get your head out of your arse with your generalizations?
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Just because of my name and avatar you think I am limited to metal music? You think I can't enjoy different types of music? Why don't you get your head out of your arse with your generalizations?

Because you're the one who heard it as noise and wanted links to YouTube videos instead of actual recordings. You'd have to be a senior TalkBass member to look at your username, avatar, post contents, and request and think "well, this fellow just might have a broad taste in music! I'll assume nothing!"

And there are a lot of double kick drum flurries in Metallica, is there?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by thefitz
Because you're the one who heard it as noise and wanted links to YouTube videos instead of actual recordings. You'd have to be a senior TalkBass member to look at your username, avatar, post contents, and request and think "well, this fellow just might have a broad taste in music! I'll assume nothing!"

What the ****?
I'll make what I said more blatant - you'd have to be blind and ignorant to look at your avatar, username, post contents, and request and not have any preconceptions.

If you call it 'noise' then yeah, I do think you can't enjoy other forms of music. If you get into an artist from YouTube videos, especially an artist from the 70s and 80s whose most of his footage is bootlegged, you can't enjoy other forms of music.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 24, 2008,
Maybe try actually getting an album instead of watching him doodling in YouTube videos with ****ty sound quality?

Kids these days...
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Look at Gibraltar (link), for him doing more conventional stuff...aound 7:00 is where it's best IMO. Totally in the pocket, but grooving his butt off at the same time. How he keeps stuff like that up for that whole song is beyond me...my fingers would fall off.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 24, 2008,
Jaco developed some chops playing early on in blues bands btw. I think he talked about that in the modern electric bass interviews.

And his playing with Joni Mitchell almost makes me want to listen to those albums. Too bad you can't kill the vocal tracks and just listen to the music.
thefitz, are you getting laid at the moment? You're always so prickly.

I was not instantly impressed by jaco, and i dont think it's unreasonable for someone who has never heard of him to go on youtube and watch some videos before buying an album. It just so happens that the videos of Jaco on youtube are mostly him freestyling and stuff, and the ones where he is playing sound so bad that "noise" is probably quite a close description.

TS, its also not unreasonable for someone to assume you are a metalhead.. i dont think a jazz man would ever have a username called Slayedintheface. However, i live by the rule "assume nothing".

I think you should either download or buy Jaco's self-titled debut album. I think that's the best way for you to appreciate his music.

peace and love mofos
Am I getting laid at the moment? No, silly, I'm on UG! I can't do both at the same time.

I'm not prickly, just defensive. When someone listens to a video and passes judgement, especially when it's as harsh as 'noise', and demands a video as a response, I get defensive. It's as if the threadstarter is too lazy to go to megadownload.net or LimeWire and search for mp3s. And for someone to pass judgement like that on one of my all-time heroes, I think I have the right to be defensive. That, and I smelled a bit of a troll.

To judge a musician solely on videos makes absolutely no sense, yet that's all that the threadstarter seems to be interested in.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Jac...don't get me started on Joni Mitchell, lol....that's dangerous territory. Its one of those areas that we are going to have to agree to disagree. I actually wrote a blog / rant about her.

But..I do think Jaco's playing on her albums was stellar.
OH, last night i just heard some of Joni's material with jaco.
While I don't necessarily love it, no word describes it as well as "stellar".
Quote by watchingmefall
Says the man with a Tool avatar...

I agree. Weather report is a fine name.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom

Someone in the bass forum knows who Larry Carlton is.
Maybe you just don't like Jazz fusion TS. It's not for everyone, just like I've never really liked metallica. It just doesn't sound good to me.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by seljer
imho Portrait of Tracy one of the prettiest pieces of music ever

yeah, I can't help but think how beautiful Tracy must be if her portrait is like that.

Some of the stuff with weather report is quite tasteful, like birdland and teen town. But if you've only looked at the live vids, you're missing out. he tends to wierd stuff on stage. in this video, the song starts at 2:05.

edit: for got the link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25DXcFg1TFo&feature=related
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
Last edited by Salute to Jaco at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by Victory2134

Someone in the bass forum knows who Larry Carlton is.
Maybe you just don't like Jazz fusion TS. It's not for everyone, just like I've never really liked metallica. It just doesn't sound good to me.

this. I rather dislike any form of hip hop.

wasn't Carlton in the Prince of Bel-Air?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Page 1 of 2