I havent played that guitar, but i have played a melody maker before, and i dont like them, it seems to me the joan jett melody maker just cost more because it has her name on it.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
^Actually look it up idiot. For the price its a pretty good Gibby, really the only thing needed to do is just switch out the truss rod cover for a blank (unless you feel like having the sig on there, I'm just not a fan of having the artist's signature on there) and you've got a great axe to rock out with.
^wow slow down there cowboy.

it's got a few features, but it's impossible to know if it's worth the moeny until you play one.
lower end gibbys are hit or miss.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thanks for the replies everyone
Quote by angusfan16
I got ass-raped but your story beats mine.

My Gear:
Ibanez SA 240FM
Marshall Modell 8100
Quote by ShameofaNation
I havent played that guitar, but i have played a melody maker before, and i dont like them, it seems to me the joan jett melody maker just cost more because it has her name on it.

Well I own one and it’s nothing like the ‘08 Melody Makers, here’s a picture of it…

The action on it is great, it’s really light, neck is fast and it sounds awesome, really good sustain for a light weight guitar. It’s like an SG

With that said I’ve had two issues

I changed the Gibson Burstbucker 3 Zebra out for a Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6b & the witch hat knobs for standard Gibson knobs. The pickup wasn’t working (bad wiring) and I didn’t like the witch hat knobs.

If you are looking for a single humbucker guitar, with a fixed bridge and like the Gibson worn white finish…you should pick one up ASAP.
I think buying a low end Gibson with 1 pickup + the premium of an artist signature is a bad idea overall. I'm not saying you should buy a Les Paul, but every artist signature guitar I can think of is essentially a rip off.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
It looks more like the original melody makers, which is great- they're the best-kept secret of the guitar world, imo.

I say go for it!
Quote by MustangSVT
I think buying a low end Gibson with 1 pickup + the premium of an artist signature is a bad idea overall. I'm not saying you should buy a Les Paul, but every artist signature guitar I can think of is essentially a rip off.

So what defines low end? Is it just because this model isn’t a fan boy custom shop one off or have an MSRP over $1000?

I can tell you first hand because I actually own it and play it everyday that this Guitar isn’t “low end” and by no means plays or sounds like the “low end” guitars I have played in the past.

To the original poster go play one and see if you like it and if it has the features you are looking for in a guitar. The interwebz isn’t the greatest place for info…it’s just a good start.

…oh and check eBay often…I got mine brand new for $540 due to the bad pickup.
Quote by Wonker

I changed the Gibson Burstbucker 3 Zebra out for a Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6b & the witch hat knobs for standard Gibson knobs. The pickup wasn’t working (bad wiring) and I didn’t like the witch hat knobs.

If you are looking for a single humbucker guitar, with a fixed bridge and like the Gibson worn white finish…you should pick one up ASAP.

Didn't expect that from Gibson

If there's such a quality difference between their "standard" and low-end guitars, then you can really only trust yourself about opinions on the guitar.

I've heard many stories of frets falling out on Les Paul Studios, which don't match the Standards, but aren't "low end" either.
For $750, I am dead sure that you can get guitars with better pickups, better quality control, better hardware and more versatility than the an artist signature by Gibson.

With the hit/miss stories of Gibson nowadays (not just the cheaper ones, but more expensive ones as well), you'd do well to try out the guitar before buying it.

Also like I said, personally, at this price point, I'd stay away from anything "Gibson".
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Wonker
Well I own one

I've always hated how SGs fall to the floor when you let go of them because of the heavy headstocks. I've also been leery about the SGs hanging away from your body instead of staying in on you because of the placement of the strap button by the neck.

Will I have these issues with this guitar? I notice the strap button by the neck is about the same as the SG, but I'm guessing the headstock isn't heavy?

Please let me know asap.

Cliffy
1974 Fujijen-Gakki LPC
1990 Sebring LPJ Special
1993 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Recording King RAJ-122
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 amp head
Marshall JCM 800 1960a cab
Marshall JCM 800 1982a cab
Peavey Windsor amp head
My First real Gibson was a 58 Melody Maker and that guitar started my love for Gibsons. I paid $125.00 for it and it was just great. It was fairly light it had good balance. Unfortuneatly who ever owned it before me took out the original pup and put in a late 60 early 70s P90 and they really didn't do a good job of it. I didn't care for the P90 so I swapped a Dimarzio Super Distortion in it and WOW what a difference. I have played several MM bought and sold a few dozen and they have always performed well but none sounded as good as the 58. I tried some of the new MM and wasn't impressed. I haven't tried the Joan Jett Sig model but would love to. I like what I have read about and with the PAF that is in it I would imagine it sounds good. I am not a fan of relic finishes but this one doesn't look bad. If I found one and the price was right I would buy it for sure.

John
Can anyone who owns this guitar answer my question from above?
1974 Fujijen-Gakki LPC
1990 Sebring LPJ Special
Peavey Windsor amp head
i saw joan jet live and was not impressed at all :\
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
it looks cool
but i not melody makers
MY GEAR
Gibson:SG special faded
Behringer:???
Behringer:V-tone GM108
Laney:TF400
Drums:Trax
Dunlop:Crybaby
I'm not a huge fan of the melody makers and I don't believe on spending a fortune for signature guitars unless they sound different or have better features than the normal ones. But if you are getting a good price and you like it, then why not.
Quote by cliffenstein
Will I have these issues with this guitar? I notice the strap button by the neck is about the same as the SG, but I'm guessing the headstock isn't heavy?

Please let me know asap.

Cliffy

I don't have this issue.
Quote by maiden_mexico
i saw joan jet live and was not impressed at all :\

What does this have to do with anything?
Awesome...thanks a lot, dude...appreciate the info.

later...Cliffy
1974 Fujijen-Gakki LPC
1990 Sebring LPJ Special
Peavey Windsor amp head
Anybody that says this is an overpriced version of the regular melody maker is just talkin out their *ss. The regular melody makers do not have ebony fretboards, humbuckers, intonatable bridges, a double cutaway, thin finish, or a kill switch. The regular melody maker is a very different guitar. This is a great guitar that just happens to have Joan's name on it.

That said, there are "keepers" and lemons in every price range when it comes to guitars.
Quote by Aidy Damage
It looks more like the original melody makers, which is great- they're the best-kept secret of the guitar world, imo.

I say go for it!

I believe this to be true, dosn't billy gibbons still play live/record with his melody maker? (his first ever guitar)
Quote by cliffenstein

Please let me know asap.

Cliffy

You should not have this issue ever. I think the LP shaped body may actually be a tiny bit heavier than that of an SG and the MM headstock is lighter. I let go of my LPMM and it just stays there like it should.
Quote by cliffenstein
I've always hated how SGs fall to the floor when you let go of them because of the heavy headstocks. I've also been leery about the SGs hanging away from your body instead of staying in on you because of the placement of the strap button by the neck.

Please let me know asap.

Cliffy

Look at how much wood is on the head stock compared to an SG.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.