Page 1 of 2
I have a bunch of designs, and I'm fixing to start building my first prototype. I've done many headstock re-designs and I feel that I have come up with one that will be easily remembered and recognized. I would love to here the opinions of ACTUAL players/builders. So for more info, go to:

http://www.myspace.com/ks_custom

I also have posted some pics of my Ibanez RG350DX that I started to hand-distress and never finished.

Feedback would be great considering that I've gotten none basically.

Thanks.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
Last edited by fret_it_fast at Nov 22, 2008,
Your head will have to have allot done to get it to work properly.

Some of your shape's are super spiking and crazy. Keep in mind, people don't want to be impaled when the play there guitar. Near the side's of the body, it should be smooth and comfortable to play on.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
I really like alot of your designs! If you actually build any of these post pics!

Though as previously stated your headstock looks as if it would have trouble working...

And prototype 1 looks to have a few easily breakable spots in the body.
i like the looks of that custom explorer it looks pretty bad ass alonf with the custom V
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
Quote by White_fang
Your head will have to have allot done to get it to work properly.

Some of your shape's are super spiking and crazy. Keep in mind, people don't want to be impaled when the play there guitar. Near the side's of the body, it should be smooth and comfortable to play on.

I re-built the headstock. It will hang from any wall hanger. So I got that taken care of.

As for the bodies, I know about not wanting to be impaled being that I used to play a BC Rich Beast. All the edges will be smoothed out and the bodies will be chambered to cut down on the excess weight.

Believe me, I've been in the 'design and refine' process for about 3 years now. There's not a lot that I haven't gone over.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
Quote by fret_it_fast
I re-built the headstock. It will hang from any wall hanger. So I got that taken care of.

As for the bodies, I know about not wanting to be impaled being that I used to play a BC Rich Beast. All the edges will be smoothed out and the bodies will be chambered to cut down on the excess weight.

Believe me, I've been in the 'design and refine' process for about 3 years now. There's not a lot that I haven't gone over.

When I said "impaled" I did not literally mean it.

Its uncomoftable to have a million little things sticking out. (LIke on the guitar you have where the sides look like flames) Sitting down it would hurt, as it would rest on your leg and body, standing would be okay tho.

What I meant about the head, is at that angle, I don;t know if your tuning machines would work good.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Quote by White_fang

What I meant about the head, is at that angle, I don;t know if your tuning machines would work good.

All taken care of. I have one that is slightly larger that will even work for a 7 string. It seriously took me sheets and sheets of paper of trial and error to get the right dimensions. I started getting frustrated then suddenly hit the "eureka" moment.
Quote by die_kenny_die
I take it then for those flame like bodies I mentioned you are not doing those?
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
What, using the in-line headstock? I plan on it. If push comes to shove, I will use a string retainer. I also have the 3-3 headstock, but I'm not sure that it would sit well on most of my guitars...
Quote by die_kenny_die
Nvm. I am not saying what I mean clear enough.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
I probably should have stated the specs of the prototype...

Scale- 24.75"
Frets- 24 Medium-Jumbo hardened steel
Fretboard- Bound ebony with no inlay
Radius- 12"
Neck- 5 piece Mahogany/Maple with thin profile
Construction- Neck-through w/ extremely recessed heal
Wings- Mahogany
Pickups- EMG 81 and 60A
Electronics- Vol, Vol, Tone, 3-way selector
Bridge- Kahler Hybrid Tremolo
Tuners- Schaller locking tuners *Haven't decided on exact model yet*
Other- Dunlop flush-mounted straplocks; Neutrik locking input jack
Quote by die_kenny_die
Last edited by fret_it_fast at Nov 22, 2008,
in all honesty, i think a couple of them have too extreme of a shape. you have to think practical along with looks
How many guitars have you built?

A design similar to this has already been built btw

http://a609.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/42/l_dd44f924d8c1a3c3c98b40f3bb85bb48.jpg

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Nov 22, 2008,
I like a few of the designs, but for some reason the only thing i was thinking while looking at all of them was B.C Rich
Quote by guitarslutxxx
in all honesty, i think a couple of them have too extreme of a shape. you have to think practical along with looks

My point exactly. Half of the shapes wouldnt be comfortable to play at all either.
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
I can honestly say I would buy one of your guitars. One of the less crazy ones of course, but they are very nice sketches. I hope everything falls into place for you.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
*Waits for LP Addict to show up and tell stories about how impossible it is to make it as a luthier*
The Custom Explorer is SEXY.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
i like your headstock design, its really really nice

i'd buy a neck if you sold them
guitar shapes a bit too .. spikey for my liking
but i did like a couple of the less dramatic ones
some of your designs look pretty cool and some shit

Just lettin you know,1st: they are not going to be comfortable at all to play,
2nd: You can't just draw pictures the size of your hand and say i'm going to be a luthier and build this.
3rd: Have you ever built a guitar, i think you will find if people want to buy a guitar from you, it will be your first and turn out like shit, then you'll get a bad reputation and no customers
4th: A true luthier/ guitar builder, doesn't just come up with 5 designs and say i'll build one of these for you, they take custom orders and build what ever the customer wants.
5th: Your going to need a lot of money to start your own bussiness, you have to buy all the right tools, wood, hardware, electronics etc etc. You will go broke, even perry orsmby was broke when he started but he got through that by getting a good reputation and building guitars for famous people

Its not that easy.
It looks to me like you took some popular guitar designs, traced them onto sketch paper, erased some lines and made it look like a rat was gnawing on them. I don't like any of the designs. If you make an actual guitar, though, I'll look again.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Quote by guitarslutxxx

Yea my thoughts exactly... though I'm more into simple guitars.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=147533533&albumID=1224544&imageID=23665836
the problem i see with a guitar like this is that its uncomfortable to play sitting down, its not very attractive i could see some of the wood breaking off.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=147533533&albumID=1224544&imageID=541878
i like this one because it looks like it fits, it appeals to me because of the shape of the body and the headstock on this one is great i think. this one is your most appealing to the masses
i think you should change all of your headstocks to the one in this picture. so that its a fuller headstock

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=147533533&albumID=1224544&imageID=17299137
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=147533533&albumID=1224544&imageID=24215690
these 2 are probably my favorite of the ones you have although it is similar to a bc rich zombie which may put people off

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=147533533&albumID=1224544&imageID=537416
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=147533533&albumID=1224544&imageID=17464505
i like these two because they are very extreme and unusual. however they are not very practical for most guitar players.

overall i think that you have some good designs and some new shapes which are cool. but you should use CAD and sketch these up for real. and really plan on building one
Last edited by necroscience13 at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by guitarcam123
You will go broke, even perry orsmby was broke when he started but he got through that by getting a good reputation and building guitars for famous people

Its not that easy.

Im still broke!

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
too extreme wont work

the red prototype the bottom left hand corner that bit would snap off,

stick to designs people are more comfortable with then when youve proven you can make a decent instrument go for something like that, but i think you should be making what the people want not what you want to make
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
too extreme wont work

the red prototype the bottom left hand corner that bit would snap off,

stick to designs people are more comfortable with then when youve proven you can make a decent instrument go for something like that, but i think you should be making what the people want not what you want to make

There is no reason why he shouldn't make what he wants to make. Why should he just make one off customs?

Out there wild designs cater for a very specific market, which is both an extremely small percentage of guitar players, and a market which is generally a lot younger.

Younger = less disposable income to spend on guitars (less clients from an already way too small fraction of players)
Younger = less patient and more likely to purchase a store bought guitar because they don't want to wait.
Younger = more impressionable and less likely to go with a new company doing great work, than an older established company doing average work (but a company that pays to endorse their guitar idols). Prime example, BC Rich versus Moser.

But, the fact remains, no guitar has been built yet. Drawings are a long way off actual guitars. Build some, and see what the market decides is worth owning. The market WILL decide!

Here is a guitar that I consider extreme. I think its a KILLER design. Ive got a reputation worldwide, so thats not really an issue. Its not totally over the top, its still relatively "normal" compared to the original thread poster's designs. Ive sold ONE of these, and i have another on order... in a total of 4 years. "Extreme" guitars, are not big sellers.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Better off selling your designs to B.C. Rich or Dean.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
i like the way the headstock looks..., and i really like the custom v, the jigsaw, and the one base on the strat, LP, and RG. but the prototypes for the most part look painful to play
dude do it up man...ill give you a garuante too, "You Lose"
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
I like most of the body designs but I do think the head stock needs some work in order to be a 6 in-line headstock.

Other than that, I'm going to add you on myspace and maybe get a couple quotes on some guitars when you are ready.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

if i were you i would just try to use this as a side job, i highly doubt it could end up like a reliable source of a good income.

now, how to get started?

id suggest building a couple designs, then let a bunch of people play them. if they like them, suggest that you could sell them one. if they buy it, give them your information and tell them to spread the word about your guitars. then after you have a reputable status among local players move to local stores. bring a couple of your different designs to the store along with some information about your business/guitars, ask them to carry your guitars for part of the profit. if that works, congrats.

if you make it that far you can figure the rest out yourself
Right, from a business perspective I'd like to put these points across, you'll have thought of some, but maybe not all.

How many guitars are you capable of making in a year? How much do you intend charging for said guitars as a baseline price? Is this worth losing an entire years earnings?

For the price the customer is paying is it worth them buying off you? If you charge 900quid for a strat, then people will just buy the strat - its a safer bet

Do you have any show models to show the customer what they can expect?

Are you able to offer the customer what they want? Bear in mind if this is custom then you have to be able to do custom stuff - can you nitro, can you natural finish, can you give an unusual headstock angle/ scallop? How about custom inlays?

How much experience do you have?

Do you have a good supply in order? Can you guarentee that you can get the parts on time? Also bear in mind, if you make a mistake, then your going to be the one who has to fix it with your money - you can't get the customer to pay more - do you have enough free money to do that?

If you do go into business I wish you nothing but success, but these are points to remember. I also have heard quite a few luthiers say that the main source of their money is repairs. Can you live on the money it takes to build guitars?
Quote by CobenBlack
Right, from a business perspective I'd like to put these points across, you'll have thought of some, but maybe not all.

How many guitars are you capable of making in a year? How much do you intend charging for said guitars as a baseline price? Is this worth losing an entire years earnings?

For the price the customer is paying is it worth them buying off you? If you charge 900quid for a strat, then people will just buy the strat - its a safer bet

Do you have any show models to show the customer what they can expect?

Are you able to offer the customer what they want? Bear in mind if this is custom then you have to be able to do custom stuff - can you nitro, can you natural finish, can you give an unusual headstock angle/ scallop? How about custom inlays?

How much experience do you have?

Do you have a good supply in order? Can you guarentee that you can get the parts on time? Also bear in mind, if you make a mistake, then your going to be the one who has to fix it with your money - you can't get the customer to pay more - do you have enough free money to do that?

If you do go into business I wish you nothing but success, but these are points to remember. I also have heard quite a few luthiers say that the main source of their money is repairs. Can you live on the money it takes to build guitars?

couldnt have said it better myself.

90% of your problems will be getting good publicity, which basically means your business needs to be able to give a person a good first impression.

you need to have many models already made to demonstrate what you can do and your experience.

goodluck with all this, i hope its profitable.
I thank you all for the input... And yes, I have already heard things like 'You stole that headstock from Bernie Rico, Jr...' or 'You stole that from Minarik.' I assure you all that I did not even know of Minarik until a year ago, long after I had already done these sketches; and aformentioned Bernie Rico, Jr. headstock looks nothing like my design. I know the sketches are s*** but when you have a s*** computer and no pad to sketch into, you do with what you have.

'Stick to the masses'... All I can say to that is 'F*** it'. Look how popular not only BC Rich, but Gibson V's and Explorers are in today's market...
Quote by die_kenny_die
Quote by fret_it_fast

'Stick to the masses'... All I can say to that is 'F*** it'. Look how popular not only BC Rich, but Gibson V's and Explorers are in today's market...

i understand what you are saying, but remember that alot more regular bodied guitars get sold than flying Vs and explorers. its good that you are selling "different" bodied guitars, but remember, you'll only survive by selling guitars that people will want to buy.

if i were in the business for profit, not for love of building, id try to build guitars like regular guitars that not completely plain but not as wild as something like a bc rich, id buy that. something in the middle.
Quote by conor1148
if i were in the business for profit, not for love of building, id try to build guitars like regular guitars that not completely plain but not as wild as something like a bc rich, id buy that. something in the middle.

I have more 'conservative' designs that I took down off of the page because in the past, I got no feedback on them. I can re-post them sometime. And before you all say it, no, I did not trace a LP and then make it look like a rat ate it. They are originals as well.
Quote by die_kenny_die
well id like to see them, a more conservative one the wildness but still unique. i like the idea.

post them up if youd like
Page 1 of 2