that i pretty much said "screw the pentatonic scale" and went straight to the major, minor scale and modes ? (and yes i do understand the concepts, even if i havent completely memorized the notes on the neck yet...)
If you understand it... no.
But it always comes in handy when jamming, or transcribing a song.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
I don't really like using the pentatonic scales in my solos because of the limitations they have on phrasing and chording. I use pentatonic shapes sometimes, but i always use more than just the notes of the pentatonic scale.
The pentatonic scale ****ed me up, every solo I write sounds so straight edge.

I need to learn some weird sounding scales :P
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by Demonology
The pentatonic scale ****ed me up, every solo I write sounds so straight edge.

I need to learn some weird sounding scales :P

ya i had a similar problem until maybe half a year ago
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Different tools for different jobs. Sometimes a screwdriver is exactly what you need. And if you don't have it, then where would you be?

OTOH, if all you have is a screwdriver... what in the world will you do when you need a hammer?

If all you have is one tool, it is no wonder that everything you build is kinda the same. How different can it be?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Echoplex
I don't really like using the pentatonic scales in my solos because of the limitations they have on phrasing and chording. I use pentatonic shapes sometimes, but i always use more than just the notes of the pentatonic scale.

Same here. I always just viewed the pentatonic scale as a way to play the regular major and minor scales by omitting notes.

So no, it's not a bad thing, al long as you know how to use it, which shouldn't be too hard since it's contained in the regular scales.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by axemanchris
Different tools for different jobs. Sometimes a screwdriver is exactly what you need. And if you don't have it, then where would you be?

OTOH, if all you have is a screwdriver... what in the world will you do when you need a hammer?

If all you have is one tool, it is no wonder that everything you build is kinda the same. How different can it be?

CT

That was like... really Zen.
Yeah, that's what I did. I though learned the minor pentatonic scale and I just can't seem to shake it off, it's so fun to use!

PS. Diminished slides are totally awesome
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Nov 22, 2008,
TS, I did the same thing. I even remember making a thread just like this one. (hint hint searchbar) I joke.

But seriously, it's not a bad thing.

In my opinion, "pentatonic fever" is the same as "powerchord fever". Once you start, it's hard to break the chain.
I think you should try to learn all the scales you can really, although that seems like a steep task it will be obviously beneficial in the long run.

Remember to learn MAJOR pentatonic too! all those great hooks you hear from the likes of Van Halen etc general use major pentatonic, as well as minor for solos.