Well I'm 15 years old and have been playing guitar for about 4-5 years, and have been in lessons for about 3 of those years. Mainly electric, but I can play acoustic still and I recently have been getting into classical also. The problem is that even though I've been playing for this time period, I feel like I'm not nearly as good as I "should" be. Granted, I was lazy with guitar for about 2-3 of those years and didn't practice much, but recently I've been trying to get more committed by practicing everyday.

But, I see people who have been playing for anywhere from 1-2 years and they're just as good, if not better, than I am, and this feels really discouraging. Guitar is something I'd LIKE to take seriously and make a career out of in the future in some way, shape or form; but I just don't know what to do. I've been reading tabs since I started, and have tried learning theory and how to read music, but even the basics just go over my head. It just doesn't make sense to me, and I feel like without it I'll be getting nowhere. I've tried learning from my teacher, from my dad, even in high school. But yet it feels like I can't learn, it just doesn't make sense to me, it feels so over-whelming, like there are SO many things to remember and master and learn, I'm not even sure where to start.

I really just feel like I'm going nowhere, and while my fingers and picking are progressing (somewhat), my musical knowledge isn't at all.

I'm into music such as indie, punk, ska, alternative, rock, metal, and a lot of sub-genres or music that stems from what I've listed; so I don't think it's an issue of playing the same type of thing, I just really don't know what to do, and I am unsure of how to progress. I've tried writing songs, both guitar parts and lyrics, but I have trouble. I'm hoping that practice will just make that better, but to be able to practice I think I need to know what to practice, which is where I'm stuck.

Any help, tips, anything please? I think if I know what I SHOULD be doing, I'm willing to do it and practice. I just feel like I'm in a rut right now.
Start a band. It should help you get some inspiration and purpose.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
i hate getting into ruts like that.
ive been playing for about 4 years myself now, and ive had times like that, and am sort of in one of those right now too. im not sure what i can recommend to help you, because im not altogether sure what i can do to help myself. buying new equipment and gear always makes me feel better, as does new cds. its different for everybody, just try doing something different.
in my case, my rhythm skills are up to par but im trying to break into the world of soloing, and its an extremely hard barrier to break. ive never focused so much on theory, so that might make my situation harder for me, but u never know, just keep persevering, and hopefully u'll get urself out of that rut.
and dont worry, ur not alone. we all have tough times.
As long as you're making efforts to learn you're doing all right man, what needs to change is your attitude.

First think to yourself: Are those people who've been playing less time than you really better? More to the point, why do you care?

Also you need to realize that the amount of time you've been playing is far from the only thing that effects how good you are, they may have more time to practice, they may take to the guitar more naturally than you do but that doesn't mean you can be great, you just have to keep at it and make sure you're always learning.

Even the greats are still learning, most of the greatest guitarists show definite progress throughout their recordings.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm in almost the exact same situation as you, except I know a good amount of basic theory and how to read music, however my soloing skills are non-existant and I find it difficult to apply theory a lot of times even though it makes sense in my head. I decided a little while ago to try to practice every day, even if it's only for half an hour. I went to my teacher and told him what I was going through, and he was extremely helpful and wrote me out a sort of "practicing schedule". He outlined the main things I need to focus on (like rhythm, picking exercises, reading, theory, scales, chords, learning songs, transcribing songs and writing songs). Then I can pick a few of those things to practice a day (like 10 minutes of scales, 20 minutes of writing songs, etc.).
All that really matters though is that you have fun, and as long as you're enjoying yourself it doesn't matter how good you are compared to other people. If you're having trouble staying focused, try a new skill area, even if you think you'll suck at it, and put some time into it. I totally sucked at transcribing songs but my teacher explained to me how to do it and that's all I've been doing for the last two weeks. You'll get better at anything if you keep at it. Also, I find I'm more motivated if I keep in mind a goal that I have. If you want to make a career out of guitar, think of some things you'll need to know once you're a teacher or the guitarist in a band (like, unfortunately, theory).
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.