I like to play blues,country, and rock alternative. blues as you all know use alot of string bends. The strings i have now dont want to bend enough i broke my high E doing a string bend a few weeks ago..

So the question is what kind of strings suit me and my acoustic?
there is no way to tell for sure. It depends more on what kind of guitar you have, what kind of shape it's bridge and nut are in, and how hard you personally like to hit the strings. not to mention, there's your own personal preference of tone. simply put, i can't say "go get some ernie ball super slinky's, they're the only string that works for blues, country, and rock alternative."

a few general points:

-acoustic guitars require thicker strings on average than an electric guitar

-light gauge strings (9-42) are easy to bend, but easiest to break. since you're on an acoustic, i wouldn't even look into such light strings.

-medium gauge strings (10-46, 11-52) will be tougher to bend at first, but still pretty easy, and they break less. for electric, 9, 10 and 11 gauge are all pretty standard

-heavy gauge strings (12's or 13's) will give you lots sustain, a big sound, and tough finger callouses. for acoustic, 11, 12 and 13 gauge is all pretty standard.

-as string gauges get higher, the intonation gets a little better. Hitting the strings with a pick momentarily puts them out of tune by a tiny margin. the thicker the strings, the harder it is to accidentally bend them while picking.
Umm... for acoustic guitar, the gauges are different. What you've listed is the gauges for electric.

11's are custom light
12's are light
13's are medium

Don't go under 11's because you'll play the acoustic out of tune really easily.

Most brands of acoustic guitar strings are alright. John Pearse, Elixirs, D'Addario, Martin, and Dean Markley are all good brands. The strings can completely change the tone on acoustic guitars so you'll have to experiment.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Umm... for acoustic guitar, the gauges are different. What you've listed is the gauges for electric.

doh. i knew there was a different system for naming the acoustic gauges. but i got the numbers right, 11, 12 and 13.
Thanks guys lots of help like i said im pretty new to guitar so not quite comfortable spending my money are just any old strings the info provided will help alot.
JAKE
I use DR rare phosphor bronze 11s and find them ideal for bending and with a nice warm tone.
I have a set of Elixir 13s on my acoustic now and I want to find something new. I discovered 13s were way to thick for me and I don't like the sound of Elixir very much. Can anybody help me? I play a Yamaha FPX 300 (really wide fretboard, feels almost like a classical guitar), and I want the sound to be full and warm and at the same time pretty articulate. My Elixir set sounds very artificial, and has this not very nice plastic/metallic feeling. What should I get instead?
Just try them all out. Each guitar responds very differently to different strings. DR's are very bassy strings in general, but they hurt my fingers a lot more than normal strings. Try Martin SPs? I dunno, just check them all out until you find the right one.
Equipment:

Hmmm...I use Martin Extra Lights and I have yet to break a string.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
While we're on the subject, presumably it's OK to change up from a guitar that's only ever been strung in 12s to 13s? I'm trying to get more tone out of my Ovation...
^ to above: chinging by one gauge is fine

i use martin extra lights too, mostly coz i have an old guitar that doesnt like lots of string tension, but also because im a pussy and my fingers arent man enough to take anything heavier
It's fine. Though, if your action is already high,13s won't help. They make the action higher.
Equipment: